Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name a Better Rotation to Start the Year..

Default Name a Better Rotation to Start the Year..

With the addition of Aaron Cook, I am salivating at the rotation that has been implied in the event FP returns. In my 21 years as a Zags fan, I can't remember a team i was looking forward to seeing more than next years squad. It got me thinking:

Preseason, has there ever been a Zags lineup that was more talented?

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Kispert/Strawther/Arlauskas
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?

Am hyped up!

No there has not been. I’m 16 years in as a Zag and I’ve seen nothing this great.

I was hyped in 2015, and 2017, neither of them were THIS good to begin the year and certainly neither were this deep
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Also Morrison’s junior year I’m pretty sure we were hyped but at same time we knew defense was a huge liability (being very nice here) Just me but I think I just wanted to be on national radar as a serious contender every year. We got that in the 2006 year. Transformed into a national brand. It sucked how it turned out sure, but I wasn’t surprised. Ugh. Still sad about it

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    With the addition of Aaron Cook, I am salivating at the rotation that has been implied in the event FP returns. In my 21 years as a Zags fan, I can't remember a team i was looking forward to seeing more than next years squad. It got me thinking:

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?
    NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

Is better in my opinion.

Practices are going to be some of the toughest competition the starting five will come up against all year.

Imagine Cook, Harris, Strawther, Timme and Ballo playing as the visiting team each week.....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

Is better in my opinion.
    Add in Rui Hachimura as the emergency 3/4.

That’s a better overall roster, but next year’s team should be really, really good.

This might sound crazy, but I was hoping Petrusev was heading out. He might be one of our best offensive bigs in program history, but he is also potentially the worst defensively. Without a smart defender like Tillie to cover him, I imagine it could get worse this year. Ballo could be a lot of things, but one thing he for sure will be is a shot blocking presence on the inside. I don't think he has the feet to hedge out on the pick and roll, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was already a better two way player than Petrusev. I also think we may be overrating the help we will be getting from the incoming class. Strawther should be ready to contribute, but Harris will not be getting many minutes next year and needs time to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    This might sound crazy, but I was hoping Petrusev was heading out. He might be one of our best offensive bigs in program history, but he is also potentially the worst defensively. Without a smart defender like Tillie to cover him, I imagine it could get worse this year. Ballo could be a lot of things, but one thing he for sure will be is a shot blocking presence on the inside. I don't think he has the feet to hedge out on the pick and roll, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was already a better two way player than Petrusev. I also think we may be overrating the help we will be getting from the incoming class. Strawther should be ready to contribute, but Harris will not be getting many minutes next year and needs time to develop.
    Not sure Harris needs that much time to develop. Could easily see a scenario where he outplays Cook and/or even Ayayi and gets a lot of minutes. He's a big time player.

There is a zero percent chance he outplays Ayayi. Dom might have the best pro potential of the incoming class (potentially higher ceiling than Suggs), but guard is the most difficult spot to play under Mark Few. Dom has great slashing potential, but needs to tighten his handle, rework his three point shot (more of a push shot with a low release), and increase his vision. He will both take your breath and away and also be incredibly frustrating during his first season at GU.

Team 1. (20-21)
    Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ballo/Zacharov

Team 2: (16-17)
    NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?
    I think that Team 1 has much more potential than Team 2 BUT Team 2 had the experience that Team 1 doesn't have...Team 2 started 4 academic seniors (two RS Juniors and two seniors).
    Team 2 went to the Championship game and lost one, which imo we should have won but the question should be who on Team 1 could start over Team 2's starting lineup???

I am very excited to watch Team 1 play this year...As I stated before our recent season ended, Ballo is going to be a dominant player and will be difficult to keep off the court. My only question is whether his defense is ready to play against D1 competition...IF it is, then college basketball will have something to talk about even with the "East Coast Bias!" We all are excited to watch our 1st ever 5* play but will he be able to make the adjustment to college basketball? I thought Watson made the transition last year on defence but though he was pretty tentative on offence. He nary took a 3pt shot, which is something he needs to learn this off season so that he can stretch the floor and open up the middle for Filip/Ballo to work inside. Harris and Strawther are superb athletes but they are freshman and will need to adjust to the speed of D1 athletes and the sooner they do the better GU can become. In addition it will be interesting to see just how much of a jump Arlauskas and Zacharov will make in the off season...

There is no doubt that Filip, Timme and Ballo will be the best front line in college next season, while our backcourt has yet to prove itself...

Potential is an excellent word to describe our freshman but can they reach their potential this coming season? Time will tell...

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?
    I’d take the NWG squad. Still, this one should be very competitive, albeit a bit young.

I'll take team 1, and to be better than team 2 they will have to be National Champs. Can they? I think they can. I disagree with the idea that we have don't have an experienced back court. Of course we do. Ayayi was the MVP of the Conference Tournament and showed that he has the skills to be a star this year. Kispert is going to be a senior, and he has become not only a great player but a great leader. I was so impressed with him last year. In every way. So we have two starters returning in our backcourt. I'd say that's a lot of experience. Cook will be a senior transfer and is going to add a lot of experience to an already experienced backcourt. Suggs might be inexperienced at the D-1 level, but he is one of the very best high school players coming into college basketball in 2020-'21. Suggs is a 1 and done player and will very good.

Strawther will be a very good backup 3 guard. He will be taking Gilder's place, and I believe he's going to take his role on the team as seriously as Gilder. I think of all the in the incoming freshman guards I am most excited to see Strawther play. If he can be as effective as Gilder we can be national champs.

I don't think Petrusev will be back at Gonzaga, BUT the Zags will still have very good post players. We all saw how much Timme improved last year, and he's going to be so good this year. I'm really excited to see him play next year. He will bulk up some during the off-season and that is going to help him even more. I like the comparison that some have made to Kevin McHale. JUST AWESOME. We really loved Watson last year and were so disappointed to see him get hurt. He'll be back and will be even better next year. That too is exciting. And Ballo is going to bring a presence to the team that Karno brought to the '17 team. I am glad he has had a year to work on his post play because it is a very difficult position at Gonzaga. It's all about foot work, and it takes a lot of time. But that one year will pay off for him. He definitely has a better offensive game than Karno had. With Timme, Ballo and Watson in the posts Gonzaga will have the best post players in the country.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'll take team 1, and to be better than team 2 they will have to be National Champs. Can they? I think they can. I disagree with the idea that we have don't have an experienced back court. Of course we do. Ayayi was the MVP of the Conference Tournament and showed that he has the skills to be a star this year. Kispert is going to be a senior, and he has become not only a great player but a great leader. I was so impressed with him last year. In every way. So we have two starters returning in our backcourt. I'd say that's a lot of experience. Cook will be a senior transfer and is going to add a lot of experience to an already experienced backcourt. Suggs might be inexperienced at the D-1 level, but he is one of the very best high school players coming into college basketball in 2020-'21. Suggs is a 1 and done player and will very good.

Strawther will be a very good backup 3 guard. He will be taking Gilder's place, and I believe he's going to take his role on the team as seriously as Gilder. I think of all the in the incoming freshman guards I am most excited to see Strawther play. If he can be as effective as Gilder we can be national champs.

I don't think Petrusev will be back at Gonzaga, BUT the Zags will still have very good post players. We all saw how much Timme improved last year, and he's going to be so good this year. I'm really excited to see him play next year. He will bulk up some during the off-season and that is going to help him even more. I like the comparison that some have made to Kevin McHale. JUST AWESOME. We really loved Watson last year and were so disappointed to see him get hurt. He'll be back and will be even better next year. That too is exciting. And Ballo is going to bring a presence to the team that Karno brought to the '17 team. I am glad he has had a year to work on his post play because it is a very difficult position at Gonzaga. It's all about foot work, and it takes a lot of time. But that one year will pay off for him. He definitely has a better offensive game than Karno had. With Timme, Ballo and Watson in the posts Gonzaga will have the best post players in the country.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn Great Post! Thanks for replying too; however, you didn't answer the question on which player from Team 1 could start for Team 2?

As I said POTENTIAL that is what Team 1 has and I'm betting that by the EOY they will have reached just that and will play well enough to go to the FF and win this time!!!

I am really high on Ballo but since we don't have any stats due to being a RS, I wonder how well he shoots Free Throws...ANYONE have any knowledge in this area?

GO Zags!!!

18-19 deserves some love too.. two lottery picks and one second round guy drafted...

Perkins
    Norvell
    Kispert
    Rui/Tillie
    Clarke/Petrusev

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?
    I'll take the Final Four squad. 2005 - 2006 was good too. Here it is for reference. LG and Heytveldt didn't play that much.

Raivio/Pmac
    Errol Knight/Pargo/LG
    Morrison
    Mallon/Pendergraft
    JP/Heytveldt

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Reborn Great Post! Thanks for replying too; however, you didn't answer the question on which player from Team 1 could start for Team 2?

As I said POTENTIAL that is what Team 1 has and I'm betting that by the EOY they will have reached just that and will play well enough to go to the FF and win this time!!!

I am really high on Ballo but since we don't have any stats due to being a RS, I wonder how well he shoots Free Throws...ANYONE have any knowledge in this area?

GO Zags!!!
    AYAYI could start over Perkins. I'd also take Kispert over Mathews.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    AYAYI could start over Perkins. I'd also take Kispert over Mathews.

Go Zags!!!
    Agree with this and i would say Suggs and NWG are a push... yes bold statement, but i don't think people know how good Suggs is. Top 5 recruits are STUDS.

The bench of next years team is better than the NC team

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?
    Love this.

I don't know if we'll ever see a better lineup than this squad:
    NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

But man does next year's lineup look downright drool worthy . We're ridiculously strong at EVERY position offensively. But at the same time I just don't think next years' team will have the defensive chops our 2017 squad did. That's the difference maker.

Also Petrusev and Timme don't hold a candle to Karno, Williams, and Collins. Hopefully Ballo will be defensively dominant.

Watson is going to be a really interesting player to watch next season. Honestly if I was Few I wouldn't be able to imagine keeping a healthy Watson off the floor. But with Kispert a senior and Timme ending his year as strong as he did last season, it seems as if Watson is going to have to come off the bench. Sort of reminds me of Collins coming off the bench his freshman year. What riches we have.
    Last edited by hockeyzag; 04-08-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Suggs is the difference.

If you know my post history, you would know that I hold NWG in the highest regard. I consider him one of the top five Zags of all time and that NWG, on two or three other historically great Zag teams, would have taken those respective teams to the title game as well.

I think Suggs can be even better than Goss. Both have size and are strong with the ball. Suggs is less experienced and not as much of a technician, but is more fundamentally skilled and more athletic. Suggs has "it" in spades. Suggs is headed for a long, successful NBA career. NCAA Championship teams start with a player like Suggs.
    I miss Mike Hart

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

NWG/Perkins
    Perkins/Melson
    Matthews/Jones
    Williams/Tillie
    Karnowski/Collins

What say you?

Morrisons JR year?
    I think it's a toss up between team 1 & 2. I'll give the slight edge to team 1.
    Team one definitely has more depth but banking on Suggs to be as good as NWG as a Junior and a year in the program is a tough call. Suggs is more athletic, I just hope he thrives on adversity the way NWG did.

Suggs/Cook
    Ayayi/Harris
    Watson/Timme
    Petrusev/Ball/Zacharov

Morrisons JR year?
    It's interesting you mention Ammo's Jr Year because Few was using a 10-man rotation at the time. Unless the lineup changes, 10 guys with meaningful minutes seems mandatory.

We may see a huge jump on D next season as we go from 24 fouls to give to 40 and have what looks like a true PG backup. Opponents will earn every shot inside as they will be forcefully contested.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Suggs is the difference.

If you know my post history, you would know that I hold NWG in the highest regard. I consider him one of the top five Zags of all time and that NWG, on two or three other historically great Zag teams, would have taken those respective teams to the title game as well.

I think Suggs can be even better than Goss. Both have size and are strong with the ball. Suggs is less experienced and not as much of a technician, but is more fundamentally skilled and more athletic. Suggs has "it" in spades. Suggs is headed for a long, successful NBA career. NCAA Championship teams start with a player like Suggs.
    Thanks for your thoughts on Suggs. You've got me really really excited. I also know that you're no dummy when it comes to Roundball. I respect your analysis. Stay safe.

Go Zags!!!

I wanna say with all due respect to the 2017 team that team didn’t receive near the hype (probably should’ve though) that this team has right now.

A. Two new sit and and play transfers (we knew they’d be great but nobody else did)
    B. We just lost Sabonis our best player from 2016
    C. None of us knew how effective Karnowski would be after just coming off back surgery.
    D. Jordan Mathews was just coming into program as well

There seemed to be a lot of questions about the zags to begin the year that year. I don’t think many of us looked at the roster and said “Title game team” and if you did congrats. Good call. I love that team (and all Zags teams really) with all my heart.

But I didn’t expect it early. As the season progressed I sure did.

This upcoming year has a lot of question marks too, but I think they’re mitigated with how many crazy options we have. If someone doesn’t perform up to standards we have many many guys that can probably play pretty well. 2017 was deep and while they were 9 deep or so (I’m not really counting Rui, he looked lost till 2018 trying to overcome language barriers) this team seems deeper to begin this season. I think people will be pleasantly surprised. There is no depth weakness at guard, or forward. There wasn’t that in this case in 2017 either but we are even more flexible 1-12 right now

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Obviously we'll have to wait and see how good the ZAGS are in the coming season, but the position that intrigues me the most is the the 3 spot. With Kispert, Strawther and Watson able to not only play, but potentially dominate that position I really like the chances for this team. That has always seemed to be the weakest spot for the ZAGS, especially in the depth department.