Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

Caldwell, are you having any luck with dry flies? Dry dropper combo, or still running a nymph rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Caldwell - do we have a better chance with Paol and Chet over Watson, or are we just prioritizing them more?

And what abut Kaluma? Kind of odd to have a guy come visit and not hear much about him. Is the interest just more on his side?
    I've had a couple people PM me a similar question. Here is how I rank the recruits we have the best chance of getting.
    Chet
    Sallis
    Paolo
    Watson
    Bittle

From the person I have spoken with, I believe we are in the best spot to land Chet and the fact that we have been in his recruitment since the beginning and developed a great relationship with him will be a huge factor in bringing his talent to GU.

Matt Haarms as a grad transfer is quite intriguing. 7-3 rim protector.

Doesn’t add up as the mystery transfer, although I wouldn’t be shocked if we called given our interest in Ike Obiagu when he transferred a couple years ago.

I kinda wish he was just staying at Purdue. I hope he doesn’t join a contender to give them another valuable role filler.

I’d think we are only interested if Petrusev is leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Caldwell, are you having any luck with dry flies? Dry dropper combo, or still running a nymph rig?
    Still running nymph's which I prefer not to, but really have not had any luck with anything else yet this spring.

Caldwell - do we have a better chance with Paol and Chet over Watson, or are we just prioritizing them more?

And what abut Kaluma? Kind of odd to have a guy come visit and not hear much about him. Is the interest just more on his side?

So I think we are in a good spot with all three of them. My current rankings would probably be

Sallis
    Paolo
    Chet
    Watson
    Bittle

Although I would not be shocked if Watson is higher on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I've had a couple people PM me a similar question. Here is how I rank the recruits we have the best chance of getting.
    Chet
    Sallis
    Paolo
    Watson
    Bittle

From the person I have spoken with, I believe we are in the best spot to land Chet and the fact that we have been in his recruitment since the beginning and developed a great relationship with him will be a huge factor in bringing his talent to GU.
    I don't disagree, Chet is hard to read, as his recruitment has been pretty quiet since his visit. Our list is actually pretty similar, minus that.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    So I think we are in a good spot with all three of them. My current rankings would probably be

Sallis
    Paolo
    Chet
    Watson
    Bittle

Although I would not be shocked if Watson is higher on this list.
    Are we off Kaluma?

Are we off Kaluma?
    I would say we were never really that high on him, he was higher on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

Doesn’t add up as the mystery transfer, although I wouldn’t be shocked if we called given our interest in Ike Obiagu when he transferred a couple years ago.

I kinda wish he was just staying at Purdue. I hope he doesn’t join a contender to give them another valuable role filler.
    He is really mobile, and an excellent shot blocker. He plays with that fire for the game. I like his game a lot. We are probably not on him, but he can play.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    He is really mobile, and an excellent shot blocker. He plays with that fire for the game. I like his game a lot. We are probably not on him, but he can play.
    St Mary's or Byu should be all over him

I see that David Dejulius is transferring from Michigan. He looks like he'd be a nice addition to the guard rotation. Do you think there will be any interest Caldwell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    I see that David Dejulius is transferring from Michigan. He looks like he'd be a nice addition to the guard rotation. Do you think there will be any interest Caldwell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was not the name that I have been hearing, but if he just hit the market today I would guess we may reach out.

This guy doesn't look that impressive to me. He is also a set out transfer. There are better choices out there than him.

We’ve reached out. So have 25+ other schools.

We’ve reached out. So have 25+ other schools.
    I think it's important to understand reaching out may be a simple call to see what his plan may be.

I saw that Matt Haarms from Purdue entered the transfer portal. Id there any chance it could be him? Seems unlikely we were recruiting him before, but would be a nice addition to next years team.

Haarms is not a set out transfer. The grad transfer is supposed to be a guard. Haarms could play as soon as he got here, and his deffinately not a guard. He is an excellent player though. He if very mobile, and probably runs the floor better than any 7'er in the country, is extremly mobile and an excellent shot blocker. Purdue never ran their offense through him, but he was still productive. He also plays with that fire that not many 7'ers have. I love his game and would love to see him in a Zag uniform. He would be a big help to the team if he never scored a point, just by blocking and alternating shots alone. Not only is he 7'3'' he has long arms to boot, oh and guess what, he can shoot from the perimeter, but I dought Coach Few would want him shooting 3 poiners very often. There is probably not enough room for him in the front court next year, but someone will get a player that will help their program.

Was it always Aaron Cook? Seems like a sneaky contributor next year. Productive in the MVC as a junior, broke his hand as a senior but was averaging 15ppg in November. Seems like he was likely the top target all along in the backup PG spot.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Was it always Aaron Cook? Seems like a sneaky contributor next year. Productive in the MVC as a junior, broke his hand as a senior but was averaging 15ppg in November. Seems like he was likely the top target all along in the backup PG spot.
    He was the guy. I have mentioned it to many people via PM and I think he is going to be a big time contributor, especially on defense.

I am very excited about him. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in some closing lineups given how well he should fit next to Suggs and not just backing him up.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    I am very excited about him. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in some closing lineups given how well he should fit next to Suggs and not just backing him up.
    If he shoots ft's like he did as a freshman!

His experience is going to be a huge factor as well!

I think his numbers will be better at GU. With better talent and playing less minutes he won't have the pressure to run the offense for thirty minutes. It seemed as his minutes climbed his % dropped. I'm guessing fatigue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

His finishes are crafty as hell..