Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 174

Thread: COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

    So I know most of you are like me and are at home more now that you would like to be. Minus a few fishing trips here and there (social distancing 101) I am at home most days of the week. I thought we could have some fun and do something a little different here. I am making a thread that you can post questions, comments, insight, etc (nothing abnormal I know) but it will keep it all in one place and we can lock it once we all get out of lock down and move the recruit based info to the proper spots. What it really does is put everything in one place and I will check in and try to answer all your questions. I don't care if the questions are about recruits in 2020, 2021, or 2022, grad transfers, traditional transfers, or even what are the odds the Zags will recruit your 4 year old son.

    Let's have a little fun, put your pipe dreams (jazz that's for you) out there for a recruit and hopefully someone with some insider knowledge will pipe in and give you a good answer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    I will start out with a few things that I can share with you.

    Jalen Suggs will start at PG for Gonzaga next year. We know that, but I am reassuring everyone about that.
    Ayayi starts at the SG
    Kisper starts at SF
    Watson starts at PF
    Petrusev stars at C

    Yep, I am pretty sure all three are coming back at this point in time. My percentages have gone to Kispert and Ayayi 95%, Filip 80%.

    That gives us a bench of Timme, Ballo, Harris, Strawther, Martynas, Pavel, with potential of a transfer at the guard.

    The mystery recruit has not announced anything, he is a traditional transfer who has not been named by anyone so far. He is a 4/5 who has the NBA written all over him. It would be best for him to sit one year then play, but if he was to get a waiver then he would see the floor next year.

    Of the 2021 recruits we got on campus, I believe that Hunter Sallis is the most likely to be a Zag. Followed by Paolo, Chet, Watson, and Bittle in that order. Everything I have heard about Paolo is it is really a 3 team race and UW is not one of the teams. We are in a great spot with Chet as well, but his recruiting really took a back seat to his high school season and now COVID-19.

    A name to watch for 2020, but most likely 2021 is Lynn Greer. We have shown interest in him here recently. It started for 2021 only, but he has expressed interest in 2020 and we are looking at all options.

    For 2022 it's a long ways out, but Skye Clark is the big name to watch. He has expressed interest in the program as well as us having interest in him.

    I am sure there is more I can tell you, but I can't think of it right now. Ask away and let's see where this goes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    364

    Default

    What if Petrosev comes back and Ballo has passed him on the dept chart ? Would we still get the effort out of Petro ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Thanks Caldwell. I have looked through all the transfer news I can find and came up with a list of guys we supposedly have contacted and who have not announced a group of finalists that dont include GU. All are gaurds as I didnt find any bigs we are connected to. Are any of these guys realistic options?
    Grad Transfers:
    Mike Smith
    Carlik Jones
    Drew Suggs
    Darius Perry
    Terrell Gomez
    Justin Turner
    Jalen Tate
    Charles Minlend
    Sit-out Transfers:
    AJ Walker

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    What if Petrosev comes back and Ballo has passed him on the dept chart ? Would we still get the effort out of Petro ?
    Ballo is good and Ballo will get a lot of minutes, but Petro will be the guy next year. I honestly do not think he would come back if that was a true possibility.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Thanks Caldwell. I have looked through all the transfer news I can find and came up with a list of guys we supposedly have contacted and who have not announced a group of finalists that dont include GU. All are gaurds as I didnt find any bigs we are connected to. Are any of these guys realistic options?
    Grad Transfers:
    Mike Smith
    Carlik Jones
    Drew Suggs
    Darius Perry
    Terrell Gomez
    Justin Turner
    Jalen Tate
    Charles Minlend
    Sit-out Transfers:
    AJ Walker
    For a transfer it is going to be harder than normal because who wants to come off the bench your senior year? I would look at some Ivy League guys and ones that do not have to start. A sharp shooter off the bench and can back up at the guard position. I do like Minlend, but would he take a lesser role for a chance to win it all, I don't really think he would.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I will start out with a few things that I can share with you.

    Jalen Suggs will start at PG for Gonzaga next year. We know that, but I am reassuring everyone about that.
    Ayayi starts at the SG
    Kisper starts at SF
    Watson starts at PF
    Petrusev stars at C

    Yep, I am pretty sure all three are coming back at this point in time. My percentages have gone to Kispert and Ayayi 95%, Filip 80%.

    That gives us a bench of Timme, Ballo, Harris, Strawther, Martynas, Pavel, with potential of a transfer at the guard.
    If you add a decent point guard to that bench, it might be the second best team in the WCC. It’s already the second best front court and Harris would start for a lot of top twenty-five teams.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    To add a little more fun to my life as well and a way to follow some of the recruits a little closer, I just started a CaldwellZag twitter account, it is @ZagCaldwell if you want to follow. I will post a few things there I may forget to post here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    616

    Default

    1. Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky for Paolo?
    2. Timme will close games over Petrusev
    3. I really, really hope we have a season.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    For a transfer it is going to be harder than normal because who wants to come off the bench your senior year? I would look at some Ivy League guys and ones that do not have to start. A sharp shooter off the bench and can back up at the guard position. I do like Minlend, but would he take a lesser role for a chance to win it all, I don't really think he would.
    Regarding Minlend, it would behoove Gonzaga to encourage WCC players to stay where they are. Poaching conference players weakens the league and sows unnecessary distrust. The Zags have a plethora of options that make it unnecessary to antagonize WCC schools and it’s in their best long term interests to keep the league as strong as possible.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    To add a little more fun to my life as well and a way to follow some of the recruits a little closer, I just started a CaldwellZag twitter account, it is @ZagCaldwell if you want to follow. I will post a few things there I may forget to post here.
    I followed you!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I followed you!
    me too!


    Caldwell... what makes you think Watson starts over Timme next year?

    Are Paolo or Chet considering a reclassification?

    Thanks for answering!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Regarding Minlend, it would behoove Gonzaga to encourage WCC players to stay where they are. Poaching conference players weakens the league and sows unnecessary distrust. The Zags have a plethora of options that make it unnecessary to antagonize WCC schools and it’s in their best long term interests to keep the league as strong as possible.
    I do not disagree with you at all and I am not saying Gonzaga is pushing hard for him, I just personally love his toughness!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    1. Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky for Paolo?
    2. Timme will close games over Petrusev
    3. I really, really hope we have a season.
    Yes on number 1. Number 2 I think Timme plays a ton. 3. We should have a season, the President even said we should have the NFL.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I followed you!
    Thanks I just opened it, no post there yet, but in our world Twitter seems to be the quickest way to get information out there.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    me too!


    Caldwell... what makes you think Watson starts over Timme next year?

    Are Paolo or Chet considering a reclassification?

    Thanks for answering!
    Thanks!

    Watson has a wider skill set and can stretch the floor more, so he fits that stretch 4 better than Timme.

    Chet is not thinking of reclassifying from everything I have heard. Paolo up until 2 weeks ago I would have said no, but there are rumblings as Harris and Suggs are good recruiters!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane/Phoenix
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I will start out with a few things that I can share with you.

    Jalen Suggs will start at PG for Gonzaga next year. We know that, but I am reassuring everyone about that.
    Ayayi starts at the SG
    Kisper starts at SF
    Watson starts at PF
    Petrusev stars at C

    Yep, I am pretty sure all three are coming back at this point in time. My percentages have gone to Kispert and Ayayi 95%, Filip 80%.

    That gives us a bench of Timme, Ballo, Harris, Strawther, Martynas, Pavel, with potential of a transfer at the guard.

    The mystery recruit has not announced anything, he is a traditional transfer who has not been named by anyone so far. He is a 4/5 who has the NBA written all over him. It would be best for him to sit one year then play, but if he was to get a waiver then he would see the floor next year.

    Of the 2021 recruits we got on campus, I believe that Hunter Sallis is the most likely to be a Zag. Followed by Paolo, Chet, Watson, and Bittle in that order. Everything I have heard about Paolo is it is really a 3 team race and UW is not one of the teams. We are in a great spot with Chet as well, but his recruiting really took a back seat to his high school season and now COVID-19.

    A name to watch for 2020, but most likely 2021 is Lynn Greer. We have shown interest in him here recently. It started for 2021 only, but he has expressed interest in 2020 and we are looking at all options.

    For 2022 it's a long ways out, but Skye Clark is the big name to watch. He has expressed interest in the program as well as us having interest in him.

    I am sure there is more I can tell you, but I can't think of it right now. Ask away and let's see where this goes.
    Man a true backup PG is literally the only potential hole you can poke at this roster. Going to be a fun year! And than you for starting this Caldwell! Perfect distraction for what we are all going through.

    Really hope Texas lands Greg Brown. Planning to go to Austin for the game and would be awesome to have both teams in the Top 10.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    135

    Default COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

    Just followed you as well...what are your thoughts on Jimmy Sotos from Bucknell as the possible transfer guard. I've seen Gonzaga connected to him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Just followed you as well...what are your thoughts on Jimmy Sotos from Bucknell as the possible transfer guard. I've seen Gonzaga connected to him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I was just going to tweet out that he is a name to watch. I think he fits the bill perfectly for what we are looking for.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Thanks Caldwell. I have looked through all the transfer news I can find and came up with a list of guys we supposedly have contacted and who have not announced a group of finalists that dont include GU. All are gaurds as I didnt find any bigs we are connected to. Are any of these guys realistic options?
    Grad Transfers:
    Mike Smith
    Carlik Jones
    Drew Suggs
    Darius Perry
    Terrell Gomez
    Justin Turner
    Jalen Tate
    Charles Minlend
    Sit-out Transfers:
    AJ Walker
    I missed Drew Buggs on your list, as you put Suggs, but I think Buggs and Sotos are two to keep an eye on.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Is drew timme's brother walker someone the Zags are looking at?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Is drew timme's brother walker someone the Zags are looking at?
    He needs to make a jump this summer and if he does we will be on him. The family loves GU so we have a big advantage.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    You referenced a transfer that has “NBA written all over him.”

    Are the coaches indicating any concerns about current players and committed recruits having their feathers ruffled?

    My concern would be for Harris,Strawther and Zacharov at this point. So far, they are saying the right things. I hope it stays that way but adding an NBA type player to this bunch unavoidably leads to fewer minutes for existing players and opens up strong possibilities of redshirting. In Pavel’s case, I would think transferring has crossed his mind.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    He needs to make a jump this summer and if he does we will be on him. The family loves GU so we have a big advantage.
    With social distancing being what it is, this may be the toughest summer ever to use to make a big jump.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You referenced a transfer that has “NBA written all over him.”

    Are the coaches indicating any concerns about current players and committed recruits having their feathers ruffled?

    My concern would be for Harris,Strawther and Zacharov at this point. So far, they are saying the right things. I hope it stays that way but adding an NBA type player to this bunch unavoidably leads to fewer minutes for existing players and opens up strong possibilities of redshirting. In Pavel’s case, I would think transferring has crossed his mind.
    Pavel would be the one I am most concerned with, but what people forget is he was our highest rated recruit from last year and his ceiling is why. He has as much or more natural talent than anyone on our team. His problem has been catching on like the staff thought he would, meaning he is out of place a lot and the learning has not come as fast as we expected. I would not rule him out making a huge jump this year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •