Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Larry Suggs, father of Jalen Suggs about the possibility of playing in the G-League
    “He just committed… But if I told you that I have a better job for you that pays you more money, would you listen? One has to listen ... everyone will listen, this is how the world works ”
    Mr. Suggs made this comment on Wednesday and yesterday we all heard about Jalen Greene going to the G-League.

I may be different than most, which isn't good or bad but when I sign my name on a "contract," then I am committed. These are different times but my word is all I have that indicates who I am and that has always been important to me. This is more fodder for Jazz's skepticism, let's just hope Jalen remains committed and not swayed by money at this point and time in his life!

Larry Suggs, father of Jalen Suggs about the possibility of playing in the G-League
    “He just committed… But if I told you that I have a better job for you that pays you more money, would you listen? One has to listen ... everyone will listen, this is how the world works ”
    Since when does Gonzaga offer money???? So confused....

Just when you think the NBA can’t get any seedier, it finds more seed.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/...d1cfzq0t88sonc

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

I am squarely with coach brey...go there are kids waiting to step up and play
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I am squarely with coach brey...go there are kids waiting to step up and play
    Agree completely. It’s not like any of these bonus babies are guaranteed stars. They’re more Markelle Fultz than Zion.

Agree completely. It’s not like any of these bonus babies are guaranteed stars. They’re more Markelle Fultz than Zion.
    I totally agree. Guys like Rui, Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke must be laughing their a$$e$ off at this stuff. The NBA is literally taking more advantage of this kid than the NCAA. All of the people who don't understand finance jump at the $500k headline and assume the kid is doing the right thing.

One could argue that having less players like McDaniels or Fultz play in college— who didn’t really contribute at the college level— is better for college basketball. The thought that early entry to the NBA is bad for college isn’t necessarily true. What they did find in the past was that it was bad for the NBA. The collective memory is short on this one.

It may be that Ive only had one cup of coffee and am cranky to boot but just WTF is that supposed to mean? If LaVar Suggs wants to raise some eyebrows in the wrong way, he's going about it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    I totally agree. Guys like Rui, Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke must be laughing their a$$e$ off at this stuff. The NBA is literally taking more advantage of this kid than the NCAA. All of the people who don't understand finance jump at the $500k headline and assume the kid is doing the right thing.
    The fact thagt presumably some (many?) top-10 projected players are choosing a year at Duke/UK/KU/GU over half a million in the G-League is one indicator of the expected dollar value of that year to their career earnings.

Picture the average domestic top-10 pick who went to US college. Maybe a Deandre Hunter or Marvin Bagley or Rui Hachimura. How would that person's "brand" or endorsement $$ and draft position (rookie guarantee salary) have been different if not playing on a national stage as part of a national brand for 1-3 years, including deep in March Madness? How would it have changed if that person had played in relative obscurity without the hype of a Duke squad, built in fanbase, twice weekly ESPN, etc etc?

The idea that there's no de-facto financial compensation for these players' year/s in college is naive.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    It may be that Ive only had one cup of coffee and am cranky to boot but just WTF is that supposed to mean? If LaVar Suggs wants to raise some eyebrows in the wrong way, he's going about it the right way.
    He's gonna be a handful going forward.....

We are all entitled to our opinions -- got it. We all have the power to voice those opinions by posting them on this Board -- to a significant extent, true. But with all that freedom of expression comes some responsibility. Try to refrain from posting stuff on this Board that could harm our team. Some of these posts could just as easily have been written by a troll trying his darndest to turn the Suggs family away from Gonzaga. Let's all try to exercise a bit more restraint.
    Last edited by SLOZag; 04-18-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

And the NCAA is just a shining beacon of virtue, right? Both institutions are billion dollar businesses. At least one openly acknowledges what it is.

Having read about this through the lens of both NBA-centric or NCAA-centric fans, it's so ridiculous how polarizing the issue has been. It's as though politics is bleeding into everything people think about and they are incapable of nuanced thought.

He's gonna be a handful going forward.....
    The ultimate irony to all the Suggs drama and hand wringing and speculating (which I fully acknowledge I have been a party to) will be if there's no NCAA season anyway, and Suggs just goes to the NBA in the 2021-2022 season after training in private next winter (or playing in an overseas league in a country with different virus monitoring and safety standards.)

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    We are all entitled to our opinions -- got it. We all have the power to voice those opinions by posting them on this Board -- to a significant extent, true. But with all that freedom of expression comes some responsibility try to refrain from posting stuff on this Board that could harm our team. Some of these posts could just have easily been written by a troll trying his darndest to turn the Suggs family away from Gonzaga. Let's all try to exercise a bit more restraint.
    These people that keep saying Suggs is going here or there, and will never play for Gonzaga, and Zags are over rated every year are in actuality scared of them. If the Zags are as bad as some of these people say, then why don't they just schedule a game with them ? Coach Few will play anyone anywhere, so just schedule a game with them. Being from Kentucky I was talking mostly about them. All these so called super fans keep griping about the Cats pre-confrence schedule, because they play all these terrible teams. If the Zags are no good like they say, they should just play them. Coach Calipari though knows how good the Zags are though, and that game will never happen.

Suggs is committed to Gonzaga, his recruiting thread was closed. Lets move on to other topics.

The smile on Suggs’ face when talking about coming to GU and playing for a national champion ship has to be worth something. I think he genuinely wants to play college ball. Going to college as a young man out of high school is an opportunity you can’t get back. I understand the appeal of money, but statistically-speaking, persons that make millions aren’t any happier than persons making $90k (or thereabouts).

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The smile on Suggs’ face when talking about coming to GU and playing for a national champion ship has to be worth something. I think he genuinely wants to play college ball. Going to college as a young man out of high school is an opportunity you can’t get back. I understand the appeal of money, but statistically-speaking, persons that make millions aren’t any happier than persons making $90k (or thereabouts).
    Let me tell you a little story about Jalen and Jalen's mom, Tommy and Mark were sitting talking to the family on the first visit to Spokane. Jalen's mom looked at him and said you are going to Gonzaga, Jalen responded I know mom. Jalen will be a Zag, he has been a Zag from the first time he walked on campus. Yes has Larry tried to get some pro deals and some shoe deals yes he has, but he has also invested a ton of time into turning his son into a star. Larry will not be a LeVar Ball, so drop that, he was just trying to get life changing money for his family like any dad would do. Now that Jalen is committed and signed, I don't think you hear much about any pro options except for those out of touch with this kids recruitment, aka Corey Evans and Evan Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Let me tell you a little story about Jalen and Jalen's mom, Tommy and Mark were sitting talking to the family on the first visit to Spokane. Jalen's mom looked at him and said you are going to Gonzaga, Jalen responded I know mom. Jalen will be a Zag, he has been a Zag from the first time he walked on campus. Yes has Larry tried to get some pro deals and some shoe deals yes he has, but he has also invested a ton of time into turning his son into a star. Larry will not be a LeVar Ball, so drop that, he was just trying to get life changing money for his family like any dad would do. Now that Jalen is committed and signed, I don't think you hear much about any pro options except for those out of touch with this kids recruitment, aka Corey Evans and Evan Daniels.
    I'm happy for him and the family. It's sad that people think he has some kind of ulterior motives for looking at all his options. As long as the kid is where he wants to be, that's all that matters.

Well said.

And thanks for the story Caldy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Caldwell

Are we still interested in Haarms?
    ???

Now that Jalen is committed and signed, I don't think you hear much about any pro options except for those out of touch with this kids recruitment, aka Corey Evans and Evan Daniels.
    And Jazz

Caldy, it seems a bit quiet on the recruiting front. What are your thoughts on the mystery transfer vs Brown? Or the possibility of both?

How would you rank our current targets right now from most likely to commit to least likely?

Any new names we should keep an eye on?

What are you hearing about our guys that are testing the NBA waters?

Great story, Caldwell. Our chances at landing players rises immensely when you can get moms on campus. My wife has been on campus twice in the last 20 years, both times she caught Zag fever...I'm still paying down the second I took out to cover her purchases at the Zag store...she has a big family--I've got two dozen nieces and nephews on her side of the family.

Smile Tasty + Figment = Fig Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Caldy, it seems a bit quiet on the recruiting front. What are your thoughts on the mystery transfer vs Brown? Or the possibility of both?

How would you rank our current targets right now from most likely to commit to least likely?

Any new names we should keep an eye on?

What are you hearing about our guys that are testing the NBA waters?
    +1 -- Yes, Caldwell. Specifically, does the Mystery Transfer exist anymore? Or was this all along just a "Fig Newton" of Kiddwell's imagination?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!