Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Regarding Minlend, it would behoove Gonzaga to encourage WCC players to stay where they are. Poaching conference players weakens the league and sows unnecessary distrust. The Zags have a plethora of options that make it unnecessary to antagonize WCC schools and itís in their best long term interests to keep the league as strong as possible.
    Not that we are pursuing Minlend, but if the guy is going to transfer anyway, why not recruit him, and at least keep him in the confrence ? There are enough D-1 players in the west for the other teams in the confrence if the work hard enough at it, especially if players are allowed to transfer without sitting out,to be competive.

Caldwell, I think I might have figured it out.
    The 4th player of the 5 I sent you seems to check all the boxes.

Final answer.

Edit to add: If correct I'll keep it in my hat until you say it or it happens.

Holland Woods named us among his top 5, I know we have shown interest in him, so probably a name to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Caldwell, I think I might have figured it out.
    The 4th player of the 5 I sent you seems to check all the boxes.

Final answer.

Edit to add: If correct I'll keep it in my hat until you say it or it happens.
    Ok, I might have to adjust this pick.
    I went through the locked thread and 1, 3, and 4 were mentioned.
    So that means it has to be pick 2 or 5, unless it's my wildcard pick that doesn't quite fit.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Jump in whenever you want. I know you know a lot and I have all the respect in the world for you.
    Thank you, I appreciate it! I agree with your approach to the mystery transfer. Until said transfer enters transfer pool, it is best kept a secret.

Holland Woods named us among his top 5, I know we have shown interest in him, so probably a name to watch.
    Does this guy have the speed of Woolridge ? I thought his speed was what really made last years team click.

Holland Woods would be a tremendous backup point guard! Iím all in on this one. He reminds me of Josh Perkins. Hopefully he wants to win a national championship playing 15-20mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Holland Woods would be a tremendous backup point guard! I’m all in on this one. He reminds me of Josh Perkins. Hopefully he wants to win a national championship playing 15-20mpg.
    I agree. He's got a tremendous feel for the game and would fit our system nicely.
    America's Team!

Itís easy enough to look up offensive stats, and based on those, Sotos is looking like the most attractive option based on his shooting percentages, especially from deep.

How would you rank Sotos vs Buggs vs Woods defensively?

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I agree. He's got a tremendous feel for the game and would fit our system nicely.
    It would be nice if he shot better than 30% from 3, but the assists and steals are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    It would be nice if he shot better than 30% from 3, but the assists and steals are nice.
    I agree on the shooting. He would be in the woolridge mold of being a solid distributor and looks like he is great at attacking angles. A guy that could come off the bench and run the offense. Always room for improvement in the shooting area.
    America's Team!

That would be some great firepower off the bench. What do you think our chances are with him?

Who is most likely out of Woods, Sotos, and Buggs? Who is GUs top target?

I will start out with a few things that I can share with you.

Jalen Suggs will start at PG for Gonzaga next year. We know that, but I am reassuring everyone about that.
    Ayayi starts at the SG
    Kisper starts at SF
    Watson starts at PF
    Petrusev stars at C

Yep, I am pretty sure all three are coming back at this point in time. My percentages have gone to Kispert and Ayayi 95%, Filip 80%.

That gives us a bench of Timme, Ballo, Harris, Strawther, Martynas, Pavel, with potential of a transfer at the guard.

The mystery recruit has not announced anything, he is a traditional transfer who has not been named by anyone so far. He is a 4/5 who has the NBA written all over him. It would be best for him to sit one year then play, but if he was to get a waiver then he would see the floor next year.

Of the 2021 recruits we got on campus, I believe that Hunter Sallis is the most likely to be a Zag. Followed by Paolo, Chet, Watson, and Bittle in that order. Everything I have heard about Paolo is it is really a 3 team race and UW is not one of the teams. We are in a great spot with Chet as well, but his recruiting really took a back seat to his high school season and now COVID-19.

A name to watch for 2020, but most likely 2021 is Lynn Greer. We have shown interest in him here recently. It started for 2021 only, but he has expressed interest in 2020 and we are looking at all options.

For 2022 it's a long ways out, but Skye Clark is the big name to watch. He has expressed interest in the program as well as us having interest in him.

I am sure there is more I can tell you, but I can't think of it right now. Ask away and let's see where this goes.
    How do you think the opponents are going to feel when the next four off the bench come in

Soph Drew Timme 6'10 235 proven talent with a summer to improve.

Fr. Ourmar Ballo 6'10 260 probably the most athletic center to come to GU with a full season to learn the system and get stronger.

Fr. Julian Strawther 6'7 210 a top 60 recruit that averaged 32pnt his senior year

Fr Dominick Harris 6'4 170 a top 60 recruit who over the last year is becoming one of the best combo guards in the nation

Just think about that. The last time I felt this good about pre season is when Tillie, Collins, and Goss were going to play.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    We don’t need anymore offense. Just somebody to spell Suggs and run the offense and play solid defense. We literally have 8 other options. That’s not to say Woods isn’t capable offensively.

Is it that you think that Watson will be better than Timme, or that Timme is a better fit for the second unit ? It just looks to me that with Ballo at center on that second unit that with Watson on that unit it would give Ballo more room to operate as Watson has more perimeter skills than Timme ? I guess that if Petrocev comes back Watson's skill set would allow more room for Petro to operate inside. What a problem to have, but I have complete confidence in Coach Few being able to figure it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    That would be some great firepower off the bench. What do you think our chances are with him?

Who is most likely out of Woods, Sotos, and Buggs? Who is GUs top target?
    I like all three of these guys for different reasons. GU's top target might not have hit the transfer portal yet, remember it is super early in the process and Woolridge and Gilder came later.

It looks to me like next year would be a great time to red-shirt Pavel and Arlauskus. It appears to me that Pavel has some untapped potential. Caldwell do you think that he will ever figure out how to use the tallent that he has ? He is pretty athletic for a near 7'er, and runs the floor well, I just hope one day the light will go on in his head and he will put it all together.

We donít need anymore offense. Just somebody to spell Suggs and run the offense and play solid defense. We literally have 8 other options. Thatís not to say Woods isnít capable offensively.
    Exactly. We need a steady backup who can play great D, run our system, and has experience. I think Ballo, Anton, Timme, Strawther, Dom, and Arlauskas can score plenty of points against most second units. Heck, I honestly believe our second unit would be a .500 team in the pac12.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    It looks to me like next year would be a great time to red-shirt Pavel and Arlauskus. It appears to me that Pavel has some untapped potential. Caldwell do you think that he will ever figure out how to use the tallent that he has ? He is pretty athletic for a near 7'er, and runs the floor well, I just hope one day the light will go on in his head and he will put it all together.
    I, along with the staff, believe he will. I think depending on who comes back he could be a red-shirt candidate.

We don’t need anymore offense. Just somebody to spell Suggs and run the offense and play solid defense. We literally have 8 other options. That’s not to say Woods isn’t capable offensively.
    Agree, but we've seen how opposing teams back off someone who is not a threat from distance. I'm not saying he wouldnt be a good pick up, just maybe Sotos might help to keep the floor spaced better.

I get what you’re saying but he had no problem scoring at PSU which tells me you can’t just back off of him and he won’t be able to do anything. You don’t average 17ppg because you can’t shoot.

[QUOTE=cggonzaga;1515612]I get what you’re saying but he had no problem scoring at PSU which tells me you can’t just back off of him and he won’t be able to do anything. You don’t average 17ppg because you can’t shoot.[/QUOTE

True, but you can average 17ppg just because you shoot a lot also. His career fg% is barely 40 and his career 3pt% is under 30. He average 17ppg last year but also took almost 14 shots per game. Those numbers aren't super impressive, especially considering the Big Sky is one of the worst conferences. Now I didnt say he wouldnt fit or be good at GU, I'll let the coaches sort that out.

The thing I like most about him is his apg. Over 5 for his career and he hasn’t exactly played with scorers. This tells me he’s finding guys in position to score, not just finding a good scorer that does the rest.

Caldwell, I was wondering if the mystery recruit is a player that was a bit under the radar like Orlando Robinson from Fresno State? He is a versatile PF/C that could have a Clarke-type of career. I have not heard that he is transferring, but it seems like a west coast kid who has the talent to play at the next level may want to showcase his skills.

Caldwell - do we have a better chance with Paol and Chet over Watson, or are we just prioritizing them more?

And what abut Kaluma? Kind of odd to have a guy come visit and not hear much about him. Is the interest just more on his side?