Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 174

Thread: COVID-19 Recruiting Thread

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,433

    Default

    Is Banchero slip sliding away? ‘Nother words, as Francis would say, should we “put our pipe dreams away for another day?”

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    With social distancing being what it is, this may be the toughest summer ever to use to make a big jump.
    Very true. It will be interesting to see how recruiting goes the next few months.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Is Banchero slip sliding away? ‘Nother words, as Francis would say, should we “put our pipe dreams away for another day?”
    I would not say that. I think we are definitely in his top 3, if not the leader.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You referenced a transfer that has “NBA written all over him.”

    Are the coaches indicating any concerns about current players and committed recruits having their feathers ruffled?

    My concern would be for Harris,Strawther and Zacharov at this point. So far, they are saying the right things. I hope it stays that way but adding an NBA type player to this bunch unavoidably leads to fewer minutes for existing players and opens up strong possibilities of redshirting. In Pavel’s case, I would think transferring has crossed his mind.
    Zacharov = Monninghoff?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Zacharov = Monninghoff?
    I feel Zacharov is just young and less experienced than the rest. Hopefully he sticks it out because by his junior year he should be a beast.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I missed Drew Buggs on your list, as you put Suggs, but I think Buggs and Sotos are two to keep an eye on.
    Sorry, just so used to typing Suggs. I would guess several of those guys we've been linked to are used to being the man and wouldnt be too excited to come off the bench.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    87

    Default

    It has the chance to be another elite team. I think this team could again be super balanced. If I could add a free agent, I'd like another PG/ballhandler that I know can really shoot from 3 so we have great floor spacing as usual. Smith from Columbia would be great but then it comes down to balancing playing time and keeping everyone happy. Good, 1st world basketball problems to have.

    However don't underestimate the talent, age and experience of Tillie, Woolridge, Gilder. All were about 22yrs old.
    To ask 4 freshman- albeit studs- to perform like these guys did consistently is not expected. They will show how good they are but it might be flashes

    Another point to consider, All the newcomers may not have the summer to play pickup together for 4 hours a day with Coronavirus, relative to most years. Of course every other program in the country will be in the same boat. Some will be in worse situations.

    Jazz I think Zackharov is much better than Moeninghoff. I want to hang on to both him and Arlauskas no doubt. Bigs can take time to develop, look at the jump Petrusev made in 1 year!! It would be colossal mistake to even consideIr that narrative. When he came in in his limited minutes, he showed he is pretty fluid, can guard ball screens, is athletic.
    Zakharov wouldve been at MINIMUM a 15 minute role player on what, 50% of the top 100 teams in the country in 2020?? A starter on maybe 10% of them?

    Also Mattias Morninghoff for the record did play good minutes in his one and only season for the Zags, he wasnt bad. It was the other guy Mathis Keita that looked much more of a project even on those Zag teams.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Sotos is a sit out transfer in the articles I saw. Are we thinking he will graduate ahead of schedule? I know before the Covid outbreak it was looking like the NCAA was going to allow everyone to transfer once without having to sit. Do you think the NCAA makes that rule change?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Sotos is a sit out transfer in the articles I saw. Are we thinking he will graduate ahead of schedule? I know before the Covid outbreak it was looking like the NCAA was going to allow everyone to transfer once without having to sit. Do you think the NCAA makes that rule change?
    From everything I have heard the expectation is for him to play next year.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Sorry, just so used to typing Suggs. I would guess several of those guys we've been linked to are used to being the man and wouldnt be too excited to come off the bench.
    As I have said before, the above is the biggest hurdle to landing “stud” grad transfers. They simply will be playing a bench role here. So, don’t hold your breath unless they are high enough character guys to not care as much about me first and just want to win.
    As for answering the questions, i’ll Leave that to Caldwell lol.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    As I have said before, the above is the biggest hurdle to landing “stud” grad transfers. They simply will be playing a bench role here. So, don’t hold your breath unless they are high enough character guys to not care as much about me first and just want to win.
    As for answering the questions, i’ll Leave that to Caldwell lol.
    Jump in whenever you want. I know you know a lot and I have all the respect in the world for you.

  12. #37

    Default

    Disappointment is the gap between expectation and reality.

    What odds would you put on the mystery transfer actually transferring?

    I’m excited to hear you put 80% on Filip returning! Also opens me up for being disappointed if he doesn’t.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Disappointment is the gap between expectation and reality.

    What odds would you put on the mystery transfer actually transferring?

    I’m excited to hear you put 80% on Filip returning! Also opens me up for being disappointed if he doesn’t.
    Mystery transfer 50/50. He is not happy in his current situation, but also the extra year he will need to sit does have some impact on his decision.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Mystery transfer 50/50. He is not happy in his current situation, but also the extra year he will need to sit does have some impact on his decision.
    We may need another hint. Maybe what part of the country or what conference is he in..........or his name spelled backwards?

  15. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    We may need another hint. Maybe what part of the country or what conference is he in..........or his name spelled backwards?
    Prominent cbb writers are saying that the rule allowing transfers to transfer without sitting out a year has a better chance to pass than not.

  16. #41

    Default

    Caldwell--

    My question applies to a player who isnt a recruit but who has yet to see a single play as a zag on the floor-- BALLO.

    From your contacts, how good is Ballo? How good will he be as a freshman and How good can he turn out to be? How has he looked in practices against current players?

    Thanks!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    We may need another hint. Maybe what part of the country or what conference is he in..........or his name spelled backwards?
    Mystery backwards is yretsyM

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Mystery transfer 50/50. He is not happy in his current situation, but also the extra year he will need to sit does have some impact on his decision.
    You mentioned that it would be best for mystery transfer to sit out a year, which makes total sense given our proven success with developing guys in a down year.

    At the same time, maybe the mystery transfer still needs to be sold on that benefit. It sounds like he might be rooting for the transfer rule to change, allowing him to play right away.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Caldwell--

    My question applies to a player who isnt a recruit but who has yet to see a single play as a zag on the floor-- BALLO.

    From your contacts, how good is Ballo? How good will he be as a freshman and How good can he turn out to be? How has he looked in practices against current players?

    Thanks!
    There were days in practice he was hands down the best guy on the court, I mean Roger Powell had those days too. I think the expectations are the sky is the limit type, but more on the Rui timeline. I would expect he comes off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game next year, then as a sophomore he will be given a full go. He is going to be a beast from every report I am getting.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    You mentioned that it would be best for mystery transfer to sit out a year, which makes total sense given our proven success with developing guys in a down year.

    At the same time, maybe the mystery transfer still needs to be sold on that benefit. It sounds like he might be rooting for the transfer rule to change, allowing him to play right away.
    That is what we are/will sell him on. Remember he is committed to another program right now, so we cannot reach out to him all the contact has come from him to us.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Prominent cbb writers are saying that the rule allowing transfers to transfer without sitting out a year has a better chance to pass than not.
    Hearing the same thing.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,038

    Default

    If somebody guesses name of mystery recruit, will you acknowledge?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    If somebody guesses name of mystery recruit, will you acknowledge?
    I don't like doing that right now because if he does decided to stay then the whole GU community would know he was thinking about GU and I am not sure that is fair to the player/school. I would probably PM you and let you know you are right and not to say anything yet.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Just saw this:

    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Sources: If the NCAA votes in June to allow a one-time transfer rule with immediate eligibility, it is likely to begin during the 21-22 season.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I don't like doing that right now because if he does decided to stay then the whole GU community would know he was thinking about GU and I am not sure that is fair to the player/school. I would probably PM you and let you know you are right and not to say anything yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •