What Zag players should have made NBA in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basketballzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Josh Heytvelt
    His chances evaporated when he showed up to the scouting combines out of shape. If he had taken that part seriously during the draft process he would have had a legitimate chance. After that he was destined for overseas.

Comment

• basketballzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
      Ill say Casey Calvary. I just feel like if he was on the zags team of the last 10 years he is in the NBA.
      Hands down Karno until the latest injury bug hit him. Pangos was my second choice.

Comment

• Zags11
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Some great replies in here!

Comment

• CB4
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Elias Harris didn't leave when his draft stock was hot. He'd likely have played a few years in the league, maybe more, after being a first round pick. I like to think NWG would have been drafted had he stuck around too but I'm not sure about that. Pargo had a lot of talent. Norvell likely would have been the primary scorer for the Zags this year and would think he'd be drafted this year as well. Tillie has the talent to play in the NBA, too.

Comment

• MNZAGFAN99
            Redshirt
            • Mar 2020

Matt Bouldin

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
              His chances evaporated when he showed up to the scouting combines out of shape. If he had taken that part seriously during the draft process he would have had a legitimate chance. After that he was destined for overseas.
              I remember seeing him in some pre-draft scrimmage videos and he just didn't look like he was putting out any effort.

He played amazing against UNC. I seem to remember him pinning a shot of Tyler Hansbrough to the backboard, but that was a while ago... He put up 19 pts, 8 rbs and 4 blocks that game. He definitely had the gifts to be in the NBA, in my opinion.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by North Idaho Zag View Post
                J.P. Batista
                I loved JP the Beasta, er Batista. He was so efficient. He lacked athleticism at a time when it wasn't as necessary as now. I thought he compared favorably to Sean Maye of UNC, who was drafted. I quit trying to put too much into NBA draft predictions after that year.

Comment

• zagbeliever
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Jan 2013

Casey, Josh and JP for sure. Gary Bell was as good as Dellidedova imo. Happy that most of them have made good careers for themselves.
                  overseas.

Comment

• Ezag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Mike Leisure! Ok maybe not but that 1-handed board he grabbed during that UConn game was dope and I still remember it 20 years later as one of the coolest rebounds I have ever seen.

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                      I remember seeing him in some pre-draft scrimmage videos and he just didn't look like he was putting out any effort.

He played amazing against UNC. I seem to remember him pinning a shot of Tyler Hansbrough to the backboard, but that was a while ago... He put up 19 pts, 8 rbs and 4 blocks that game. He definitely had the gifts to be in the NBA, in my opinion.
                      They were both freshman and Josh just outplayed him; however, three years later in the S16, the dominance was reversed...Josh really was never the same player after his injury and the "Shroom" incident BUT I thought he had all the gifts and thought he would have been a no brainer...didn't know he was out of shape for the draft process...such a shame...

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Think they were both Sophs., Bogo.
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

There have been so many 1st round picks that have been head scratchers and that makes the Calvary snub even more difficult to understand.
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• hooter73
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2008

Maybe I'll say Calvary got snubbed, but Pangos, Karno, Batista, Bell... none of those were NBA players. Harris maybe could have gone after his freshman year when the iron was hot but he wouldn't have stuck. Downs and Heytvelt didn't have the mentality for it. NBA is as different from college as college ball is from high school. Its just a different style of play which is why NWG was never going to make it when he declared. NBA doesn't need players whose first attribute on a stat sheet is 'leader' even when all the rest of his stats were very good as well. Hopefully he can find a spot now.

Maybe Pargo if he shot better or Norvelle if he can not see himself as Gods gift but there is a reason I don't follow the pro league other than to check in on old GU player's stats from time to time. It is not for me.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Mar 2019

Heytelt was probably our most talented big in program history, but he seemed diminished post injury. He also had some issues in terms of mentality. Micah never could dribble, which hampers him as playing as a 2 guard. Pargo can't hit the broadside of a barn against top athletes. Pangos and NWG both have significant physical limitations. Casey was a miss, especially with his frame and athleticism. Guy could jump.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                                Zag for Life
                                • Oct 2008

NWG and Pangos have been brought up a few times and I feel that these should have an asterisk by them. NWG was drafted and later signed a contract with the Jazz, and the verdict is still out on him. Pangos reportedly turned down an NBA deal to keep playing in Europe (for more money). I have them stashed away mentally in a subcategory.

Comment

Working...
                                X