Thread: OT - Muffet McGraw steps down as women's basketball coach at Notre Dame

Default OT - Muffet McGraw steps down as women's basketball coach at Notre Dame

Another head coaching opening at a Big Time University.

From ESPN:

Muffet McGraw steps down as women's basketball coach at Notre Dame
    ESPN
    11:36 AM PT

Hall of Fame coach Muffet McGraw is stepping down as women's basketball coach at Notre Dame after 33 years and will retire, it was announced Wednesday. McGraw will announce her retirement in a virtual news conference at 4:30 p.m. ET Wednesday.

"It has been my great honor to represent the University of Notre Dame these past 33 years, but the time has come for me to step down as your head basketball coach," McGraw said in a statement. "I want to thank Monk Malloy and Father Jenkins for giving me the opportunity to coach the game I love at a university I love. I have learned much about leadership from the many athletic directors with whom I have served, and in particular, I want to thank Jack Swarbrick for his unwavering support.
    Entire Article can be found here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ach-notre-dame

ZagDad

ND has already named McGraw's replacement for head coach at ND.

Redemption will now be in the hands of Niele Ivey, as McGraw, Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach, on Wednesday announced she’ll walk away from a promising rebuild in the throes of the coronavirus pandemic and retire.

The 42-year-old Ivey, a former Irish All-America point guard and assistant coach under McGraw, comes back to Notre Dame from the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies. Last summer she became the NBA's ninth female coach as an assistant for the Grizzlies.

Ivey will now pick up the baton and look to coax things forward.

She was part of all nine of the program’s Final Four appearances, two as a player and seven as an assistant coach. She has spent 17 seasons on Notre Dame’s campus combined as coach and player.

"I am so honored to be able to follow in the legacy that coach McGraw built here at Notre Dame,” Ivey said in a statement. “My love and appreciation for coach McGraw is beyond anything I can express. She’s more than a mentor, more than a friend, she’s one of the most influential people in my life. "I am full of gratitude for coach McGraw and what she has done for me. She was the first to give me an opportunity to play for Notre Dame and coach here as well. I will forever be grateful for her love and support."
    Entire Article including a history of Muffet McGraw's accomplishments can be found here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...i8c?li=BBnba9I

ZagDad

ND named her replacement almost instantaneously, which would seem to indicate their administration was not blindsided by this.

The rest of us were though. Fairly shocking news on an otherwise fairly nondescript Wednesday.

Did not take too long for Niele Ivey to show her recruiting chops.

It didn't take long for Niele Ivey to get a win at Notre Dame. Named the school's new women's basketball coach on Wednesday, Ivey landed one of the nation's most prized recruits on Friday.
    Olivia Miles, ranked No. 2 in the high school class of 2021 by ESPN HoopGurlz, announced on Twitter that she has committed to play for the Fighting Irish.

Ivey already inherited a strong recruiting class for the upcoming season from Muffet McGraw, a class the new coach helped lay the groundwork for while still a Notre Dame assistant until leaving after the 2018-19 season for a coaching role with the Memphis Grizzlies. Notre Dame's incoming class includes four players ranked among the top 50 in the nation by HoopGurlz.

Current Fighting Irish freshmen Brunelle, Katlyn Gilbert and Anaya Peoples were also honored as members of the ACC's all-freshman team this past season.
    Article Link: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ming-new-coach

ZagDad

Congrats to Coach McGraw, loved watching her teams play and seeing her Coach in person a few years ago at the NCAA tourney in Spokane. Thanks for all you contributed to NCAA WBB.

Ivey is really hitting the ground running. Got another commit from a highly rated '21 recruit--Sonia Citron.