Thread: The Scheme (HBO) Who will be watching?

Default The Scheme (HBO) Who will be watching?

I know I've really been looking forward to watching this. I hope it shows some concrete evidence of how corrupt some programs are!
    Unfortunately all the information I have about programs that have a reputation for paiying players is what I read.
    If I actually hear it on tape! Well then, I will have an opinion with something to back it up!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I know I've really been looking forward to watching this. I hope it shows some concrete evidence of how corrupt some programs are!
    Unfortunately all the information I have about programs that have a reputation for paiying players is what I read.
    If I actually hear it on tape! Well then, I will have an opinion with somethingerer to back it up!
    It won't matter, the ncaa is not going to do anything to the big money making schools, to much money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    It won't matter, the ncaa is not going to do anything to the big money making schools, to much money involved.
    I heard that the were going to suspend them all from postseason tournament this year and give them a clean slate!

Just watched "The Scheme"

Absolutely terrible job by the Government. The best metaphor I was able to come up with is that they used an entire bucket of worms to catch one 6 inch fish!
    If the government was a business, they'd have to file for bankrupcy.

I'd say the Govt probably spent in the area of 500k-1 million in operating costs to barely put anyone of any significance in jail or even change the playing field at all. SHAME on them as a taxpayer, sports fan, and someone that wants to see a more even playing field.

Clearly somewhere along the way the Govt said hold on we can't hit a grandslam here as we thought due to Jeff D'Angelo's impropriety, and if that came out that wouldve buried the lead on the college hoops story because that case wouldve grabbed more headlines! The Govt. feared exposure and being embarassed, and thats why this didnt go further.

Unfortunately, we know the NCAA, LSU and Arizona still won't have anything happen to them, Kansas was barely mentioned. I think this showed what I've felt inside to myself, that it pays to CHEAT in college sports. Sadly, the payoff on the front end (championships, prestige, money to programs and ensuing sponsorships) is still WAY more than the punishment.

We know that Dawkins was paid by HBO to do this, and there was no check and balance from the Govt to tell their side of the story. Whether or not an NCAA Violation is breaking the law or not, Dawkins was knowingly breaking established rules, so I dont have any sympathy for him. If he was a little more organized at the beginning, had a day job of some sorts and was saving $$, he coulda gotten a business loan and gotten going, and probably couldve had some success by himself, instead of looking for someone else to be the bankroller of the operation.

Whatever defense anyone had of Will Wade and Sean Miller is kaput. Anyone with a functioning brain can clearly see what was going on. No hearsay, paraphrasing, out of context. I'm sure they will both keep their jobs but it's hard to be a fan or an administrator in any college athletic department and not want to see them go down.

I think its a very good watch, especially during lockdown its good entertainment.

" they used an entire bucket of worms to catch a 6 inch fish" isn't that the truth!

By in large I think the NCAA does a good job in both creating and governing rules that adhere to amateurism in college sports.
    The biggest problem I see are that sports like basketball become a professional sport years before college, with almost zero repercussions for paying players as young 10 years old. These really good players are scouted by runners, agents from a super young age and start giving their families money in hopes of one day they make it to the NBA and be able the represent the player.
    This problem starts at the top. If the NCAA is basically the pinnacle of the ameture world as far as basketball goes-- they are creating the problem. Until they impose the "death penalty" for paying players this trickle down from AAU to 4th grade will never stop.
    The NCAA is creating a fantasy culture in Basketball.
    Hundreds of thousands of kids are growing up thinking they should get paid to play basketball by the time they are in high school or younger. Thousands of young kids and their families actually do.
    They unfortunately are paid (maybe not a ton) professionals at a ridiculously young age and they all believe they will make it to the NBA. I would too if some agent has been telling me that since 6th grade!
    Family's investing on the child making it to the NBA is like basing your retirement on winning the lotto! The odds of making it are staggering.
    The NCAA needs to stop this culture, they have created it and it is clearly toxic. Nothing short of the "death penalty" will stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    " they used an entire bucket of worms to catch a 6 inch fish" isn't that the truth!

By in large I think the NCAA does a good job in both creating and governing rules that adhere to amateurism in college sports.
    The biggest problem I see are that sports like basketball become a professional sport years before college, with almost zero repercussions for paying players as young 10 years old. These really good players are scouted by runners, agents from a super young age and start giving their families money in hopes of one day they make it to the NBA and be able the represent the player.
    This problem starts at the top. If the NCAA is basically the pinnacle of the ameture world as far as basketball goes-- they are creating the problem. Until they impose the "death penalty" for paying players this trickle down from AAU to 4th grade will never stop.
    The NCAA is creating a fantasy culture in Basketball.
    Hundreds of thousands of kids are growing up thinking they should get paid to play basketball by the time they are in high school or younger. Thousands of young kids and their families actually do.
    They unfortunately are paid (maybe not a ton) professionals at a ridiculously young age and they all believe they will make it to the NBA. I would too if some agent has been telling me that since 6th grade!
    Family's investing on the child making it to the NBA is like basing your retirement on winning the lotto! The odds of making it are staggering.
    The NCAA needs to stop this culture, they have created it and it is clearly toxic. Nothing short of the "death penalty" will stop it.
    "Death penalty" will stop nothing as far as Power Conference Schools are concerned. I live about 20 minutes from SMU, and it only stopped SMU, and they've been unable to successfully compete for over 30 years.

There have been quite a few posts here (for humor) that allude to Pacific sneezing anytime a power school is accused of transgressions. It was telling when the NCAA punted on any punishment of UNC for their academic fraud.

My takeaways:

The FBI is dirtier than the coaches and people they were trying to bust. The DOJ is just as stupid as the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    My takeaways:

The FBI is dirtier than the coaches and people they were trying to bust. The DOJ is just as stupid as the NCAA.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion right, wrong or indifferent!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    "Death penalty" will stop nothing as far as Power Conference Schools are concerned. I live about 20 minutes from SMU, and it only stopped SMU, and they've been unable to successfully compete for over 30 years.

There have been quite a few posts here (for humor) that allude to Pacific sneezing anytime a power school is accused of transgressions. It was telling when the NCAA punted on any punishment of UNC for their academic fraud.
    TZF BTW how are conditions regarding the coronavirus in your area...am not hearing much, which is why I'm asking...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    TZF BTW how are conditions regarding the coronavirus in your area...am not hearing much, which is why I'm asking...
    Governor Abbott yesterday extended school closures to May 4. Personally, I doubt it ends there. Schools are online, and they're working through the issues.

IMO, most Texans are taking this thing seriously, though my wife needs to find more reliable purveyors of information on the internet.

She's a smart lady, but is prone to believing conspiracy theorists. I've been keeping occupied with a dog who recently tore the equivalent of an MCL in her left hind leg. She follows me around everywhere, which means I now sleep on the couch downstairs. She'll start rehab next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion right, wrong or indifferent!
    Yeah. My comment is hyperbolic. That being said, I'm not sure if you watched the documentary but if you did you've got to agree that (a) the FBI overextended themselves to the point of arguably manufacturing the entire "fraud" committed by Dawkins, (b) the DOJ punished Dawkins for not acting as a cooperating witness against the big NCAA coaches they were targeting, (c) Dawkins (and other runners) aren't the heart of the problem (which lies with the coaches themselves and the broken system).

The interesting thing is that Dawkins was really trying to build relationships to make money on the financial planning side. He apparently thought that paying coaches to be referral sources was a crappy business model (he wanted the relationships with the players themselves), he took the FBI's undercover money to bankroll that operation, the FBI insisted that he pay coaches instead, he paid some of the coaches despite disagreeing with the business model and treated other coaches to lavish dinners and experiences on the FBI's dime and kept a lot of the FBI's money to fund his business. When he didn't cooperate with them, they punished him. The DOJ didn't get the big win they wanted. Dawkins spent 18 months in prison. No one is better off.

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    Just watched "The Scheme"

Absolutely terrible job by the Government. The best metaphor I was able to come up with is that they used an entire bucket of worms to catch one 6 inch fish!
    If the government was a business, they'd have to file for bankrupcy.

I'd say the Govt probably spent in the area of 500k-1 million in operating costs to barely put anyone of any significance in jail or even change the playing field at all. SHAME on them as a taxpayer, sports fan, and someone that wants to see a more even playing field.

Clearly somewhere along the way the Govt said hold on we can't hit a grandslam here as we thought due to Jeff D'Angelo's impropriety, and if that came out that wouldve buried the lead on the college hoops story because that case wouldve grabbed more headlines! The Govt. feared exposure and being embarassed, and thats why this didnt go further.

Unfortunately, we know the NCAA, LSU and Arizona still won't have anything happen to them, Kansas was barely mentioned. I think this showed what I've felt inside to myself, that it pays to CHEAT in college sports. Sadly, the payoff on the front end (championships, prestige, money to programs and ensuing sponsorships) is still WAY more than the punishment.

We know that Dawkins was paid by HBO to do this, and there was no check and balance from the Govt to tell their side of the story. Whether or not an NCAA Violation is breaking the law or not, Dawkins was knowingly breaking established rules, so I dont have any sympathy for him. If he was a little more organized at the beginning, had a day job of some sorts and was saving $$, he coulda gotten a business loan and gotten going, and probably couldve had some success by himself, instead of looking for someone else to be the bankroller of the operation.

Whatever defense anyone had of Will Wade and Sean Miller is kaput. Anyone with a functioning brain can clearly see what was going on. No hearsay, paraphrasing, out of context. I'm sure they will both keep their jobs but it's hard to be a fan or an administrator in any college athletic department and not want to see them go down.

I think its a very good watch, especially during lockdown its good entertainment.
    Texas (cab franc)!
    SMU football used to be Awesome!
    If the NCAA gave a school the "death Penalty"something like 2 or 3 years no basketball, I think it would really change things. Coaches would loose their jobs and schools would loose a huge revenue stream.
    Look what happened to USF in our league. They imposed the death penalty on themselves 40 years ago. They were the best team in our league with the most success always ranked in the top 25 year in year out. They canceled the basketball program after a couple of years of the NCAA investigating them for paying players. They have never been the same. I think they won the confrence tourney back in 98' and that's the only time they have made it to the tournament since the the program started up again in 85'.
    In my opinion if the NCAA would impose the stiffest penalty even on a power confrence school it would change the whole culture.
    I also don't think the NCAA would make any less money by doing so. If a Kansas or a Arizona gets tagged with the death penalty I know it would change the landscape and there wouldn't be such a cavalier attitude to paying players.
    I want all kids to have a great college experience and if that means maybe the scolarship athletes should have a slightly bigger stipend I'm probably ok with that.
    However this toxic culture of paying kids to pay basketball at a young age and then continue it through college is terrible for all parties.

ACTUALLY WAS TRYING TO REPLY TO TEXAS ZAG FAN. WHOOPS!

Texas has about 4000 confirmed cases
    Wash has about 5500

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...state-by-state

Arizona has relative low numbers of cases of Covid, but I would say it's more because of low testing rates. Not impressed with how young people and kids are behaving here, it's as though nothing is going on. Even flippant toward older folks. I guess if you've been told how much the prior generations screwed everything up for your generation enough it's understandable sadly. From what I'm seeing AZ will explode soon.
    Headed to Spokane next week. We canned the idea of flying. Marathon driving, Starbucks Coffee will have our lives in their hands..LOL..
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Arizona has relative low numbers of cases of Covid, but I would say it's more because of low testing rates. Not impressed with how young people and kids are behaving here, it's as though nothing is going on. Even flippant toward older folks. I guess if you've been told how much the prior generations screwed everything up for your generation enough it's understandable sadly. From what I'm seeing AZ will explode soon.
    Headed to Spokane next week. We canned the idea of flying. Marathon driving, Starbucks Coffee will have our lives in their hands..LOL..
    Whether you take the route through Nevada or Utah, that looks like a fun drive. Hwy 89 is a favorite of mine, especially the town of Kanab, UT. We've been there twice, and stayed both times at the Parry Motor Lodge, where movie stars stayed when they were filming in the area.

Nothing wrong with the Nevada route, either, as long as you gas up when you need to. I recommend a side trip to Rachel, on the Extraterrestial Highway. The chili at the Little A'lien Inn is good, and you're just 10-12 miles from the back gate of Area 51.

Let us know when u arrive safely.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post