Thread: No Surprise, Gonzaga is best shooting team in America

Default No Surprise, Gonzaga is best shooting team in America

- pulled up national team field goal shooting percentage stats from last 12 seasons, 2008-09 thru 2019-20.

- on average only 3 teams per year shoot 50% or better. Gonzaga shot 50% or better in 6 of the past 12 years, and over those 12 years on average shot .501 percent.

- over the past 12 years, gonzaga was in the top 10 in field goal shooting 10 times! and in the top 5 an astounding 7 times!

- in comparison over those 12 years the following teams cracked the top ten this many times, kansas 6, creighton 4, byu, st. mary, indiana, ucla, north dakota st, georgetown, utah st 3 times. unc and kentucky just once.

- no surprise to any true zag fan, but the damn stats prove gonzaga is flat out the best shooting team in america, for over a decade!
    - one can well argue our coaches can indeed coach shooting and make their players better than when they arrived.

GU has had a lot of skilled players over the years, but even better shot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - pulled up national team field goal shooting percentage stats from last 12 seasons, 2008-09 thru 2019-20.

- on average only 3 teams per year shoot 50% or better. Gonzaga shot 50% or better in 6 of the past 12 years, and over those 12 years on average shot .501 percent.

- over the past 12 years, gonzaga was in the top 10 in field goal shooting 10 times! and in the top 5 an astounding 7 times!

- in comparison over those 12 years the following teams cracked the top ten this many times, kansas 6, creighton 4, byu, st. mary, indiana, ucla, north dakota st, georgetown, utah st 3 times. unc and kentucky just once.

- no surprise to any true zag fan, but the damn stats prove gonzaga is flat out the best shooting team in america, for over a decade!
    - one can well argue our coaches can indeed coach shooting and make their players better than when they arrived.
    traditional/basic FG% ignores freethrows and ignores that 3pt shots are worth 50% more than 2pt shots.

True Shooting percent (TS%) is the better measure.

Having a very high traditional/basic FG% could be achieved, in part, by taking very few 3s and being extremely post-play dominant. It wouldn't likely result in a very good offense over all.

- true shooting percentage will not diminish gonzaga's place as the best shooting team in america

- gonzaga has never shied away from shooting the 3, and over the past decade, even two decades we have always been a good to very good 3 point shooting team.

- more evidence of gonzaga being the best shooting team in america.....first in scoring two years in a row, and in top 10, four times in past 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    GU has had a lot of skilled players over the years, but even better shot selection.
    Discipline and for the most part few chuckers. The most unselfish PG in CBB for four years didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Discipline and for the most part few chuckers. The most unselfish PG in CBB for four years didn't hurt.
    I can think of only one chucker off the top of my head— and I’m thinking that you’re thinking what I’m thinking about who this is (I think). I am hard pressed to come up with who I would put at #2 on the list.

Chucker? OK I'll bite....

Norvell? Streaky but 37% career from 3 at GU. Not sure he fit s the label.

ZZ