Thread: Out of Conference Scheduling

Default Out of Conference Scheduling

Throughout the year, we had numerous discussions on the quality (or lack thereof) of this year's out of conference (OOC) schedule. When brought up on her Lisa Fortier Coach's Show, the fans got the usual song and dance that it was difficult to schedule quality OOC teams (yeah but what are you going to do about it) and that we would not be playing OSU (ever) and UO only at a neutral court but no explanation as to why. Lots of other Pac-12 teams available that play other WCC teams.

The Mbb team has already released many of their OOC games for next year. GU’s nonconference schedule includes Texas, Arizona, Washington and Texas Tech. The Zags entertain Arizona on Dec. 5 and Washington on Dec. 12. The showdown with Texas Tech is Dec. 19 at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.

The Zags also will play in the Orlando Invitational. The field includes Auburn, Michigan State, Xavier, Boise State, Saint Louis, Belmont and Siena.

Considering the only quality OOC team the Lady Zags played at home was a single game against Missouri State (a Top-20 team for sure), the Wbb team can only hope their schedule would include four (4) P5 teams (2 at home, plus 1 on a neutral site) plus a Holiday tournament with quality P5 teams.

I am sure that we fans will have to wait until August or September before we find out anything about our OOC schedule for next year.

Keep your fingers crossed.

ZagDad

Good topic... with MBB starting to announce big names doing home and homes.

Not sure why any P-5 programs would not be okay with playing GU WBB. Have them call Stanford...

I see playing a couple of Big Sky teams... but needs to be balanced with upper level D-1s... I still think GU fans need to see that level of play and the GU family... well it’s time.

Where is the U of W or the rest of the pac 12... I get the Oregons but there are 10 others.

Hopefully we find some teams willing to experience the Kennel...

Go Zags!!

It's not final, apparently, but it is possible we may see Arizona this year:

"In December, [Arizona coach Adia] Barnes hinted at a possible date with Gonzaga, who finished the 2019-20 season ranked 13th in the AP poll, just one spot below Arizona." In an article in SBNation dated May 2, 2020 coach Barnes explains that the school is still trying to finalize it's schedule for the coming season. Fingers crossed!

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...ence-opponents
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default Out of Conference Scheduling

An Arizona school makes sense, with the Wirth twins playing their senior year. I believe some team try to schedule a game near players home town their senior year if they can. So that friends and family can see them play. I thought I heard of CLF doing this. I believe GB is from Arizona as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, CLF did mention at one of her radio shows that they hope to get something in Arizona.....if we could get that plus WSU plus Stanford it would be good...3 Pac 12's....

I have not heard of any tourneys but I swear two yrs ago they talked about something at Colorado Springs Olympic center....

and then again, there was talk of Hawaii....but its getting late for planning such a venture, at least for the fans....

if we need to play TWO tourneys just to get quality matchups, we should do it....

the women's team is usually behind the men's in getting their schedule set....so I don't expect any info too soon....

If you believe AD Roth and CLF's statements on scheduling as well as Coach Barnes' quotes in the article, then this game should be on.

“We’ve tried everybody and so I’m kind of waiting now because things are changing in conferences,” Barnes said, alluding to the ramifications of the coronavirus crisis. “A lot of people aren’t allowed to travel and fly. People are having to cancel non-conference games, so then I’m going to try to get someone who’s close. But it’s been a nightmare. And the Pac-12 notoriously doesn’t have $200,000 to spend on guarantees like the SEC or certain schools spend, so we’ve never done that and we’ve never had to. But now the reality is changing. We’re having to pay people to come in here and play because they don’t want to come here. Which is a good problem to have, right? But it is a problem. It takes a lot of work.”
    According to Roth and CLF the Lady Zags are willing to travel and want home and home series. The lady zags charter, so that removes most travel issues. A home and home series with Arizona appears to be a no brainer.

However, further in the article, Coach Barnes makes the following statements.

Barnes has been picky about who she schedules too. She has been particularly wary about overloading Arizona’s non-conference schedule since the Pac-12 already puts them through the wringer as it is. But as the Wildcats’ win totals have increased, so too has her willingness to beef things up.
    In 2020-21, the Wildcats will host Texas as they look to sweep a home-and-home series against the Longhorns. It could mark the first time since 2008 that Arizona hosts a ranked team in the non-conference season.
    If Arizona has not played a ranked team in their OOC schedule since 2008 (typical P5 attitude), are they willing to play two or more next year?

Let's get it done folks. Fans of both teams deserve to see this game.

ZagDad

Interesting, I just saw an article about Arizona and Coach Barnes, she says nobody wants to come to Tucson to play them. Sounds a lot like Coach Fortier.

Default Sounds like a Home & Home w/Arizona is Going to Happen!

From SBNation:
    "The Arizona women’s basketball team will host Gonzaga in December as part of a home-and-home series, sources said. ... They will make a return trip to Gonzaga in 2021-22."

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...rence-wildcats

Cool!!!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

YEAH!.........hope its not too close to Christmas......expect a lot of Wirth family there......

Well done by both sets of coaches as well as the AD's.

Looking forward to it later this year and at the kennel next year.

ZagDad

Minor mistake in the article. The GU women did not go 31-2, the men did. 28-3 is not too shabby, however!!!