Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: General Transfer List v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Former Southern Illinois guard Aaron Cook will graduate transfer to Gonzaga. Has averaged double-digit points the past two seasons.
    Quote Tweet

Aaron Cook
    @xAaronCook10
    · 13m
    Blessed and excited to say that I have committed to Gonzaga University for my final season of college basketball Double exclamation mark I want to thank everybody that helped me in this decision, especially @coachclancy11 who was there every step of the way.

#NewChapter #ToBeContinued
    That was my guess and he should be a great fit in the rotation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i see aaron cook is wearing #10 in his mock photo, in a gu uniform.
    No. 10 is Pavel’s number on a jersey. And we started going after bigs like Haarms and now Hayden Koval (both 7 footers). I just wonder if that means Filip is leaving for NBA and/or another player (Pavel?) is transferring.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Touching base with a kid who is looking to transfer is hardly the same as recruiting or offering him.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    No. 10 is Pavel’s number on a jersey. And we started going after bigs like Haarms and now Hayden Koval (both 7 footers). I just wonder if that means Filip is leaving for NBA and/or another player (Pavel?) is transferring.
    A lot of it is just doing due dilligence. Koval's a traditional transfer so it wouldn't really have an impact for next season. We can expect a pretty big cohort of guys to leave following 2021 so it makes sense to use up the last scholarship on a sit out transfer.

The only way Haarms is coming here is if Petrusev isn't returning.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    You're gonna do Perk like that? Ouch, the disrespect is real.
    I loved Perkins. I looked up his ‘18 and ‘19 stats before responding. Both great years, and overall a better PG over his body of work as a Zag than Woolridge. But I don’t think Perk had any 1 single season where his stats were head and shoulders aboveboard Woolridge’s one year. I was responding to BogoZags’s opinion about Woolridge having the best PG year (singular). I was curious and looked forward to reading why BOGO thought Woolridge ‘20 was the best individual PG year, a view which I had never seen expressed before. Maybe he simply didn't mean what he wrote.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 04-08-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'm not comparing Mr. Cook with anyone I made a statement which was my opinion and you're entitled to yours...but lets discuss those three..
    I’m genuinely trying to understand you. Your statement was itself a comparison. That's what the word "best" means. Something can only be better or best in relation to something else.
    You wrote “which puts him in the same boat as Ryan BUT after watching five games of Ryan play, I knew he would be super and he was...had imo the best PG season. “

“Had in my opinion the best point guard season” is a comparison. So I gave 3 examples of elite zag PG seasons, each of which I would rank higher on best list.

I never claimed or would never claim you aren’t entitled to any opinion. Not all opinions are equally buttressed by facts. Since you volunteered an opinion that Woolridge '20 was (quoting you) "the best PG season" I was curious why you hold that view.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 04-08-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I’m genuinely trying to understand you. Your statement was itself a comparison. That's what the word "best" means. Something can only be better or best in relation to something else.
    You wrote “which puts him in the same boat as Ryan BUT after watching five games of Ryan play, I knew he would be super and he was...had imo the best PG season. “

“Had in my opinion the best point guard season” is a comparison. So I gave 3 examples of elite zag PG seasons, each of which I would rank higher on best list.

I never claimed or would never claim you aren’t entitled to any opinion. Not all opinions are equally buttressed by facts. Since you volunteered an opinion that Woolridge '20 was (quoting you) "the best PG season" I was curious why you hold that view.
    If I'm not mistaken Coach Few had the same opinion but I cannot recall us having a point guard that played excellent "D", ran the break as effectively, took the ball to the hole or shot the 3-ball as well. He also never had the opportunity to take GU to the EE or FF but I believe he could have had he remained in good health. I can agree with you that NWG led GU to the FF and Pangos to the EE so they did have excellent seasons BUT Ryan was a different type of PG and didn't have the opportunity to show his worth in the Dance...

I loved Pangos, NWG and Dickau but I just think that Ryan made his teammates better on both sides of the ball...you may not agree and that's fine...I like butter pecan and you may like strawberry but they are both good flavors AND I like both...

One more thing I am not the most articulate nor grammatically correct communicator so please excuse me some if not ALL of the time... :-)

If I'm not mistaken Coach Few had the same opinion but I cannot recall us having a point guard that played excellent "D", ran the break as effectively, took the ball to the hole or shot the 3-ball as well. He also never had the opportunity to take GU to the EE or FF but I believe he could have had he remained in good health. I can agree with you that NWG led GU to the FF and Pangos to the EE so they did have excellent seasons BUT Ryan was a different type of PG and didn't have the opportunity to show his worth in the Dance...

I loved Pangos, NWG and Dickau but I just think that Ryan made his teammates better on both sides of the ball...you may not agree and that's fine...I like butter pecan and you may like strawberry but they are both good flavors AND I like both...

One more thing I am not the most articulate nor grammatically correct communicator so please excuse me some if not ALL of the time... :-)
    I loved Perkins as well.... but I truly believe that if Woolridge is the PG on the 2019 team, we beat Texas Tech and win the national championship. I've re-watched that Tech game numerous times and Perk (again, LOVE Perk) killed us down the stretch on D. If Woolridge is on that team playing D, driving, and dishing the way he did to Rui, Clarke, etc., I really think we win it all that year... and maybe again this year.

That being said, if Perk isn't on the 2017 team, we don't make the national championship game. Dude hit daggers the entire tourney that year and was unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa, no prob with the young man. He's a piece. And if he's Gilder 2.0 all the better. You're the one doing the hyping and now you're offended because I bought in to it. Can't have both, Caldy.
    I said he was a perfect fit for the system. Never hyped him to be more than a lock down defender. But sorry if you are getting two recruits mixed up, Cook is a grad transfer the one I have hinted would be a perfect complement at guard. The other one is a traditional transfer has not said he is transferring yet, but not to get your hopes up but he is not Labron just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    - not saying aaron will wear #10 next year, just that he is wearing a gonzaga uniform with #10 in his post about coming to gu.
    - and #10 was walt fraizers number, who also played for southern illinois.........a good player to look up too.

- as to petrusev, will he or won't he go.............he wants to play professional ball. evidence was checking out the draft last year. over last summer at gu camp he told a friend of mine that his sophmore year was going to be his last year. many do not see him as an nba talent, myself included, but lets not forget he is from europe, and can easily carve out a career playing basketball overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - not saying aaron will wear #10 next year, just that he is wearing a gonzaga uniform with #10 in his post about coming to gu.
    - and #10 was walt fraizers number, who also played for southern illinois.........a good player to look up too.

- as to petrusev, will he or won't he go.............he wants to play professional ball. evidence was checking out the draft last year. over last summer at gu camp he told a friend of mine that his sophmore year was going to be his last year. many do not see him as an nba talent, myself included, but lets not forget he is from europe, and can easily carve out a career playing basketball overseas.
    I'd agree, probably has more to do with Cook wearing #10 at Southern Illinois than anything to do with Pavel leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I'd agree, probably has more to do with Cook wearing #10 at Southern Illinois than anything to do with Pavel leaving.
    Now everyone hold on tight and don't start assuming I am talking about Pavel or any particular player here. Don't read into the Cook number thing, it's a number he used to wear and may or may not wear in the future. That being said there has been a little rumbling of one of our players potentially transferring. I am not going to go into the who or if it will happen, as I don't feel that is good for anyone, but understand that things are always changing and we have to trust our staff!

I find it interesting Mineland has us in his final 7. Have we even shown any interest?

Maybe someone is leaving for the draft (Ayayi).

That being said, unlikely to happen. It's worth asking why we're even in his final 7 if we have 0 guard minutes available. Either it's just name recognition for more offers or there's more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I find it interesting Mineland has us in his final 7. Have we even shown any interest?

Jake
    @jakeweingarten

San Francisco graduate transfer Charles Minlend Jr. is down to seven schools, he told
    @Stockrisers : Arizona, Butler, BYU, Arkansas, Indiana, Gonzaga and Mississippi State. No timetable on his decision yet.

What would the upside be for staying in the WCC ?

Jake
    @jakeweingarten

San Francisco graduate transfer Charles Minlend Jr. is down to seven schools, he told
    @Stockrisers : Arizona, Butler, BYU, Arkansas, Indiana, Gonzaga and Mississippi State. No timetable on his decision yet.

He’s a pretty good player but unless Kispert leaves I don’t see a spot for him.

Jake
    @jakeweingarten

None, imo. He’s good enough to be a rotation player in a P5 conference. If one of those schools is offering a starting role he should jump at it.

From GU’s perspective, what type of message would it send to the rest of the conference to basically poach a foe’s player after making all the noise in the past about wanting the rest of the conference to step up their basketball programs? Better to leave that stone unturned.

Quote Originally Posted by FriarZag View Post
    None, imo. He’s good enough to be a rotation player in a P5 conference. If one of those schools is offering a starting role he should jump at it.

From GU’s perspective, what type of message would it send to the rest of the conference to basically poach a foe’s player after making all the noise in the past about wanting the rest of the conference to step up their basketball programs? Better to leave that stone unturned.
    I agree. Plenty of players out there without having to poach a conference opponents player. There could be exceptions maybe for a local kid or a legacy guy, but otherwise id rather look elsewhere

Guessing reunion with Kyle Smith @ WSU.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

If I'm not mistaken Coach Few had the same opinion but I cannot recall us having a point guard that played excellent "D", ran the break as effectively, took the ball to the hole or shot the 3-ball as well.
    Then you must not be able to recall Pangos, Raivio, Santangelo, and Dickau, because each had one or more seasons of shooting the 3 ball at a higher percentage and at a MUCH higher usage, rather than while sagged off or dared to shoot. I was thrilled that Ryan shot the 3 as well as he did (average 1 make on 2.2 attempts 43% on the year, for reference Perkins took 3x that many 2 yrs prior) but it's just ignorant of reality to claim that other Zag point guards didn't shoot the 3 ball better. I agree that Woolridge was a better defender than any of those 4 folks, but also a much worse FT shooter, and turned the ball over more than Pangos and Raivio.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Guessing reunion with Kyle Smith @ WSU.
    They’re not in his final 7.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    ... there has been a little rumbling of one of our players potentially transferring. I am not going to go into the who or if it will happen, as I don't feel that is good for anyone, but understand that things are always changing and we have to trust our staff!
    If it were Mathew Lang, that might explain our apparent continuing interest in another guard.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    They’re not in his final 7.
    So now reading comprehension is a thing?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Then you must not be able to recall Pangos, Raivio, Santangelo, and Dickau, because each had one or more seasons of shooting the 3 ball at a higher percentage and at a MUCH higher usage, rather than while sagged off or dared to shoot. I was thrilled that Ryan shot the 3 as well as he did (average 1 make on 2.2 attempts 43% on the year, for reference Perkins took 3x that many 2 yrs prior) but it's just ignorant of reality to claim that other Zag point guards didn't shoot the 3 ball better. I agree that Woolridge was a better defender than any of those 4 folks, but also a much worse FT shooter, and turned the ball over more than Pangos and Raivio.
    The turnovers were partially due to piloting maybe the best offense in the nation at a break neck and sometimes reckless pace.

Can you imagine how hyped the coaching staff is? This recruiting and transfer market for the Zags is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    So now reading comprehension is a thing?
    Nah, it’s overrated!