Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: General Transfer List v2.0

Now that was a suprise, from just down the road from me, but I haven't went to watch the Salukies for the last 3 or 4 years.

Reminds me a lot of Gilder.

Actually he reminds me a lot of Woolridge!

Not a great shooting % but known as a super defender, and passer and finisher at the rim. Where have we heard this before??

Great pickup guy was only like the 38th best grad transfer on Jeff Goodman's list, but only playing 6 games last year so we know had he played a full season guy wouldve been way up there, and we have to trust the staff, theyve watched more video than all of us have watched movies during Lockdown.

Question now is- with 1 scholarship left....what is best to do?
    I take it the staff is now sitting on a home run sitout to space out scholarships, ie Caldwell's guy

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    Actually he reminds me a lot of Woolridge!

Not a great shooting % but known as a super defender, and passer and finisher at the rim. Where have we heard this before??

Great pickup guy was only like the 38th best grad transfer on Jeff Goodman's list, but only playing 6 games last year so we know had he played a full season guy wouldve been way up there, and we have to trust the staff, theyve watched more video than all of us have watched movies during Lockdown.

Question now is- with 1 scholarship left....what is best to do?
    I take it the staff is now sitting on a home run sitout to space out scholarships, ie Caldwell's guy
    Sounds like it. Unless Paolo wants it?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Reminds me a lot of Gilder.
    Gilder is a Zag 4 Life! Love that guy. He wanted to return to GU if the NCAA allowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Gilder is a Zag 4 Life! Love that guy. He wanted to return to GU if the NCAA allowed it.
    It would have been amazing if Hoopfest had happened this summer, and Ryan/Admon/Killian were a team.

If the season goes on next year and Gonzaga makes another final 4 or title game or title, I almost feel like Gilder/Woolridge/Tillie should get their names, even if with asterisks, on whatever plaque or trophy is involved.

First off, WELCOME Aaron...look forward to watching you play on next years team, which IMO will be the best we have had in maybe forever

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    How about Balsa Koprivica, fellow countryman of Petrusev. He is 7"1', was rated pretty high. He has scored in double figures, has never scored 20, is a set out transfer. He is never going to play much at Florida State, as Hamilton plays smaller more athletic players. If I were him, I would look at what the coaching staff has done with Petrosev and think, mabe they could do the same for me. He has the tools to work with. After all he shot almost 70% from the field in his limited minutes. He would be ready year after next. Just a guess. Oh and we recruited him in high school. Only negative I have saw from is attitude, but not playing much might have something to do with that, after he was rated pretty high.
    I remember watching him play with Filip on the Serbian team that won either the U-18 or U-19 FIBA...he was a very complimentary piece with Filip...could shoot the 3-ball too if memory serves...in fact Filip could also shoot it well too...

I thought he was involved with something irregular his junior/senior year that allegedly turned the staff off on his recruitment...anyone remember???

Everyone thought he was not going to be eligable if memory serves me right, but he had no problems playing at Florida State. That was when this paying for players started to come out, and he started dropping in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Former Southern Illinois guard Aaron Cook will graduate transfer to Gonzaga. Has averaged double-digit points the past two seasons.
    Quote Tweet

Aaron Cook
    @xAaronCook10
    · 13m
    Blessed and excited to say that I have committed to Gonzaga University for my final season of college basketball Double exclamation mark I want to thank everybody that helped me in this decision, especially @coachclancy11 who was there every step of the way.

#NewChapter #ToBeContinued
    Underwhelping, unless Caldy's star is still to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe. What did you think of Woolridge when he transferred? My response was, “who?” Then I saw him play and thought, “wow”. Hard to judge these players we never see play.

Also, nice pun.

It's hard to get a super high quality grad transfer when you can only promise 10-15 minutes a game. The guy looks like a solid defender and driver with special athleticism. If he is 6'2" then I am 5'7". I don't see the Gilder comparisons at all. I do see some Woolridge though.

What exactly are you expecting from a grad transfer when you already have a guard rotation featuring Ayayi/Suggs/Harris? Only 1 ball to go around and 40+ mins to divvy up.

I think this the perfect complimentary piece to what we have. We don't need a 'big time star' or someone who will demand the ball. We need someone to buy into the team mentality, give us a good 10-20 minutes, provide maturity as well increased depth should injuries arise.

I will tell you what, I think Jericho Sims is who Caldwell is talking about. If so we should be excited. I wonder if he can get a medical redshirt for next year. If he can get a year just to focus on skills, he could absolutely get the Kelly treatment. He is an absolutely phenomenal athlete and defender. We don't get many of those guys at GU in the post.

I am not sure what you were looking for in a grad transfer we have the best PG in the country coming in there is only a select few grad transfer guards that would be willing to come in off the bench. Cook is a great defender and will be able to give us experience.

And the other traditional transfer may still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Maybe. What did you think of Woolridge when he transferred? My response was, “who?” Then I saw him play and thought, “wow”. Hard to judge these players we never see play.

Also, nice pun.
    Have not seen Mr. Cook play, which puts him in the same boat as Ryan BUT after watching five games of Ryan play, I knew he would be super and he was...had imo the best PG season. Mr. Cook averaged just averaged 3.3 apg but what really impressed me was that he also averaged 3.2 steals per game!...Ryan's shooting stats after three years were not too encouraging imo but he sure proved that playing with excellent talent made him a much better player.

Cook has played three years of D1 basketball BUT NEVER with the talent Coach Few and his staff have put together. So both Cook and Suggs will have to learn to play with their talented teammates, which will make them much better 1st year players in the GU system...I'm excited...

In my view the most important thing that Aaron Cook COULD or MIGHT bring to the team, which I have no way to know about, is his maturity, communication, poise in stress time, and ability to be a steady emotional leader. I was hoping that we'd get someone with experience in the NCAA tournament, just for that "been there, done that" kind of leadership an confidence. Seems like we're going with Kispert and nobody else as far tournament experience. I wish we'd found even a low-skill but high-leadership bench PG from a power6 or perennial contender. I know the options are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Have not seen Mr. Cook play, which puts him in the same boat as Ryan BUT after watching five games of Ryan play, I knew he would be super and he was...had imo the best PG season. Mr. Cook averaged just averaged 3.3 apg but what really impressed me was that he also averaged 3.2 steals per game!...Ryan's shooting stats after three years were not too encouraging imo but he sure proved that playing with excellent talent made him a much better player.
    Cook has never averaged higher than 1.4 steals/game when he played a whole season, or close to it. His 3.2 steals/game came in a medical redshirt year when he played 6 games. It's a product of tiny sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Have not seen Mr. Cook play, which puts him in the same boat as Ryan BUT after watching five games of Ryan play, I knew he would be super and he was...had imo the best PG season.
    As the underrated George Will says, you are missing the 4 most important words in the English language: "As compared to What?"

NWG '17? Pangos '15? Dickau '01?

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I am not sure what you were looking for in a grad transfer we have the best PG in the country coming in there is only a select few grad transfer guards that would be willing to come in off the bench. Cook is a great defender and will be able to give us experience.

And the other traditional transfer may still happen.
    Whoa, no prob with the young man. He's a piece. And if he's Gilder 2.0 all the better. You're the one doing the hyping and now you're offended because I bought in to it. Can't have both, Caldy.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    In my view the most important thing that Aaron Cook COULD or MIGHT bring to the team, which I have no way to know about, is his maturity, communication, poise in stress time, and ability to be a steady emotional leader. I was hoping that we'd get someone with experience in the NCAA tournament, just for that "been there, done that" kind of leadership an confidence. Seems like we're going with Kispert and nobody else as far tournament experience. I wish we'd found even a low-skill but high-leadership bench PG from a power6 or perennial contender. I know the options are limited.

Cook has never averaged higher than 1.4 steals/game when he played a whole season, or close to it. His 3.2 steals/game came in a medical redshirt year when he played 6 games. It's a product of tiny sample size.

As the underrated George Will says, you are missing the 4 most important words in the English language: "As compared to What?"

You're gonna do Perk like that? Ouch, the disrespect is real.

Whoa, no prob with the young man. He's a piece. And if he's Gilder 2.0 all the better. You're the one doing the hyping and now you're offended because I bought in to it. Can't have both, Caldy.
    You obviously have a hard time keeping up with the threads.... Caldwell has been pretty clear all along that this what was in the cards.

Aaron is the perfect player to bring in this role. He knows what his role will be and is motivated to excell in that role from the sounds of it. With who we have on the roster next year as Caldwell stated we wouldn't be getting a player that has a need to start. I believe Aaron will be a solid all around player for the ZAGS and plug the hole that was needed.
    America's Team!

Jazz-- we all know that the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan could have signed with us and you would have found something to complain about -- put the negative nelly schtick away for a while and enjoy the ride.

Mr Cook looks to be the perfect fit for what we were needing and looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

I'm not comparing Mr. Cook with anyone I made a statement which was my opinion and you're entitled to yours...but lets discuss those three...NWG needed to have the ball in his hands as he was our go-to-scorer as was Dickau...Pangos was not a pass first PG...Ryan was and my bet is Cook will be as well. I think all three were excellent college players, Ryan/Cook had/have an excellent skill set which will made/make the Zags much better and I'll bet that IF Cook gets enough time playing with the Zags before the season (depending on our friendly virus) that he could be the starter at the beginning of the season BUT as we know, being a starter has no meaning in Coach Few's offence...Gilder is a prime example...

In addition, he only played six games before breaking his hand but watching hip play in those two samples on Youtube, I was impressed with his "D"...3.2 steals in six games is still an accomplishment and one can wonder if his season totals would be better than his first 3 seasons...he reminds me of Ryan 2.0...

Who did you think would come as a depth piece, a backup guard to a 5 star freshman?
    Mr. Cook is a very fine player, good quickness, excellent defender, all-academic guy
    In the MVC, and by all accounts, a tremendous leader. Tremendous get by the staff.

- i see aaron cook is wearing #10 in his mock photo, in a gu uniform.
    - no doubt his is a fan of walt fraizer, who also played at southern illinois.

- walt fraizer is simply my all time favorite basketball player.

- i watched the u-tube videos and the comparison's to woolridge are spot on.......pushes the ball up the court with speed, good body control as he weaves his way to the rack, good court vision-finds the open man on sharp passes.

- i like him, good fit, back up point guard, experienced, willing to play non starter minutes........
    - welcome to zagnation!