Thread: 2021 5-8 PG Payton Muma commits

Like the way she moves. Looks like a "playah!"

Highlands Ranch Colorado has certainly been good to Zags basketball in the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Highlands Ranch Colorado has certainly been good to Zags basketball in the past!
    It has.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I need some history...

I only remember one WBB player from Colorado

Thanks, Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    I need some history...

I only remember one WBB player from Colorado

Thanks, Go Zags!!
    Captain Matt Bouldin was from Highlands Ranch CO...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Thanks...

OT

but I am always amazed how our players are all unique and all cool names...Payton..Haiden...Keani...Kayla...Kayleigh. ..Melody...Sunny....Eliza..Shelby.....of course we have a lot of players with more common names but when we hear "katie" we all know who we are talking about...

that's the thing with this program....we KNOW our players by their first names for the most part.....I like that family feel about this program...

welcome Payton...

I will admit, I have not taken the time to review Payton's highlight videos and game highlights, so the following comments are solely based on her published stats.

She has played in essentially every game (maybe or maybe not starting) since she was a freshman. She appears to be durable (has not missed a game), and has been relatively consistent. Her scoring took a big leap this year from 8.1 ppg to 15.2 ppg accompanied by a slight drop in overall shooting percentage. Payton has averaged from 41 to 46% shooting overall for her 3 years which is not too bad for a guard. Her 3-point shooting needs to improve some as she only shot 30-32% from long range in her career. As a junior, she took an average of 5 3s per game and made about 1.8 of them per game.

Over the last couple of years, Payton has averaged about 4.5 apg, 3.15 rpg and 2.85 spg. Not overwhelming but not bad at all for a sophomore/junior.

My only concern is where she ranks among her fellow players. Currently Payton is currently classified as 3.5 stars, ranked 229 nationally and #4 in Colorado. Now I am sure those rankings include the 2020 class and when compared with her fellow 2021 classmates, she will be ranked much closer to 100 nationally. If memory serves me correctly, Laura Stockton was only a 3-star coming out of high school, and she did alright as a lady zag.

I am not quite so sure how we go from what is arguably the best future collegiate woman's player in England to #4 in Colorado but CLF knows what she is looking for and has done very well for herself. She knows a Zag when she sees it, so in CLF we trust and go on.

Saw on an article on ESPN that with McKayla Williams on the Lady Zag team, next year the lady zags will have six (6) top 100 players on their roster. IMO, we need to keep that number of Top 100 recruits at least at 6 and maybe closer to 8-10 if we want the program to grow.

We will have 15 players on the roster for next year with six (6) players graduating (3 forwards, 1 wing and 2 guards). The NCAA allows D-1 Wbb up to 15 scholarships but most schools (including GU) do not normally use more than 13 (15 scholarships leads to a really big team & lack of playing time and does not leave extra scholarships to give to transfers, etc.). Assuming that GU goes back to a 13 person team, that leaves two (2) open scholarships for the 2021/2022 season with the first two (2) 2021/2022 scholarships going to guards/wings.

I think we need a little more height and beef in the frontcourt, so I think we will see the remaining two (2) scholarships going to forward/posts.

What do you think?

ZagDad

Absolutely agree. Next two schollies for '20-'21 & then for '21-'22 need to go to centers/power forwards/rebounders. Players at least 6' 3" or taller. Ideally, perhaps adding a little more diversity to the team as well. As for Payton, judging from brief videos, she seems to have that Jill Townsend intangible: Fearlessness. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that a couple older brothers taught her the game in the family's driveway (like Jill's did). Plus, she's got another year of HS ball to get stronger and hopefully, add another inch or two. Expect her to be in the top 100 rankings by next season's end.

Looking at the past and then to the future, I think the coaching staff have a good plan... and it seems to be working. To me, the 1s and 2s will be PGs. This coming year and next we will have 4 PGs and a number of times you saw an offense that took that into play. I see this to be the future for guards with six foot plus for the wings. As for posts we will have seven on the team this fall loosing three. I think maybe one more player for the 21-22 season... maybe also a non scholarship. Also leave the door open for a transfer.
    Always a moving target...
    And as for Up’s diversity... I think we are.

Go Zags!!