Thread: Pitinos Goal for Iona

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Dick Vitale
    @DickieV
    ·
    21h
    @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
    struck gold in recruiting as he has 5 commitments who r labeled 4 star players by some but trust me with Pitino’s teaching & motivating talents they will become 5 star PTPers . His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
    Who labels them 4 stars, their mommies? None of the big recruiting sites have any of these guys above 2 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    That's a good one too, but I thought we were counting the Big East as a power conference.
    Okay, could be Power 5 +1. They accomplished plenty before moving to the Big East. Anyway I saw Butler and Creighton mentioned as well.

I don’t see the four star recruits, but regardless of how you feel about Pitino in general, if there’s anyone that could accomplish this at Iona, it’s him. What he was able to do at Providence in just two years was incredible (although having Billy Donovan in the team doesn’t hurt), and there’s a reason in the hall of fame. You put him in a bottom-15 league with even some 2-3* guys and he’ll run through it every year until he retires for good.

I’m not a fan of the guy, but he’s an amazing coach.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Okay, could be Power 5 +1. They accomplished plenty before moving to the Big East. Anyway I saw Butler and Creighton mentioned as well.
    Right. I mentioned them as the best candidates before ascending into the Big East and Xavier absolutley belongs in that group.

Iona has already had some success, having been to the tournament the last four seasons, and I personally love the Metro, but it's not a very good conference at all. For Iona to be a "next Gonzaga" would be highly unlikely even if Few went and coached there.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    Right. I mentioned them as the best candidates before ascending into the Big East and Xavier absolutley belongs in that group.

Iona has already had some success, having been to the tournament the last four seasons, and I personally love the Metro, but it's not a very good conference at all. For Iona to be a "next Gonzaga" would be highly unlikely even if Few went and coached there.
    Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to see a "next Gonzaga." Perfect storm, set of circumstances very unlikely to ever be repeated.

I remember when Akron took up the call of "next." That didn't last long. Never really got off the ground. Wichita St. had a nice little run but moving to the AAC hasn't done them any favors. Hey, Dayton just had a really nice season, maybe they can repeat it another 10 or 15 years in a row...

There will not be a next Gonzaga. The following are all headlines of articles over the years:

Could Buffalo Become the Next Gonzaga of Men's College Basketball?
    Is Grand Canyon the next Gonzaga?
    Seattle University Basketball: The Next "Gonzaga"
    Wichita State Is The Gonzaga Of The Midwest
    Eric Musselman Building A New Gonzaga at Nevada?
    Can College of Charleston become the next Gonzaga and what would it take?
    Little Rock: The next Gonzaga?
    Opinion | Bearcats must bring in transfers to become the next Gonzaga
    And a few quotes:

But We want to be the next Gonzaga,” Cal State Northridge athletics director Brandon Martin told reporters when he introduced Reggie Theus as his new basketball coach in 2013. (Theus is 47-81 in the four years since.)

“We want to be the next Gonzaga,” Oakland coach Greg Kampe told the New York Times in 2010 when the Grizzlies made the NCAA tournament for the second time. (They’ve returned just once in the six years since.)

We can be the next Gonzaga,” Kellen Winslow, Sr., told the San Diego Union Tribune three years ago when he became athletics director at Florida A&M. (He resigned from the job months later after a short but disastrous tenure.)

UT-Arlington. Even after Cross led UTA to the best season in program history last season the coach's end-of-year meeting with Baker didn't go well. Voices were raised amid Baker telling Cross he wanted UTA to be the "next Gonzaga

Butler. All the talk has been about Butler becoming the next Gonzaga, but no one truly felt as though the small school just blocks from downtown Indianapolis would be able to sustain its success in the same manner that the ’Zags have done in Spokane, Wash.

Excellent post 23dpg.’took some work! Well done! In my lifetime I’ve never seen. A Gonzaga . Even before there was a”Gonzaga “ and surely none since we began our run. It’s a 23 year effort to consistently achieve excellence. I doubt I’ll see anything like this. It took soooo much vision and so much work and so many years! We are not “quick and dirty”. We have such quality in this equation , it’s nearly incredible. For some reason, some force reach in and provided everything we need to build this force in basketball. And look what good has come from it. By their fruits, you shall know them....... it just continues.

Ignore the idea of “next Gonzaga” - I agree there won’t be one. It’s truly amazing how few of the 26 conferences outside the power-6 have a perennial favorite or dominant team.

I think in the past decade, that Cincinnati may have the most tourney appearances of anyone else, and pre big east Creighton and Xavier are good calls.

As of now, the best programs (not best 1 year teams) from all the non power 6 looks like a list with Gonzaga on top and then a GIANT gap before anyone else.

Larry Brown at SMU, good comparison

wanting to be the next Gonzaga has become grandiose. Made more sense 10 years ago, even 15. But now, if after 20 years you're still standing, no, more than that, if you continue to punch and win above your weight class while you grow and put those pounds on, so you actually become a true heavyweight whose future continues to look brighter, then maybe.

But why not just be the next iteration of Iona, or Buffalo, or whoever? My answer: because the 'next Gonzga' thing is an easy sell to recruits and fans, it's become that magical...not just a dream, but realized. The tough truth would be a different path, Pitino instead going for the short term emotional window painting a fake future of Decades of Dominance. The other side of the equation is: after this, where else would he go? He's 67. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Ignore the idea of “next Gonzaga” - I agree there won’t be one. It’s truly amazing how few of the 26 conferences outside the power-6 have a perennial favorite or dominant team.

I think in the past decade, that Cincinnati may have the most tourney appearances of anyone else, and pre big east Creighton and Xavier are good calls.

As of now, the best programs (not best 1 year teams) from all the non power 6 looks like a list with Gonzaga on top and then a GIANT gap before anyone else.
    Good post, LTown. What's lost in the discussion for "the next Gonzaga" is that it's not all about success on the court. It's also includes success in the classroom (and other off court activities), and promoting the family theme that surrounds Gonzaga basketball. Pitino, although a HOF coach, is strictly a mercenary, in my view, just like Larry Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Good post, LTown. What's lost in the discussion for "the next Gonzaga" is that it's not all about success on the court. It's also includes success in the classroom (and other off court activities), and promoting the family theme that surrounds Gonzaga basketball. Pitino, although a HOF coach, is strictly a mercenary, in my view, just like Larry Brown.
    Pitino and Brown, good comparison, although Pitino has a ways to go to catch Brown. Brown coached 10 ABA and NBA teams, 3 NCAA teams, and in Italy. Pitino is at 2 NBA teams, 5 NCAA teams, and Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I wonder if any other school’s b-ball team has nearly as many alumni moving to its city after they graduate and play professionally somewhere. The sheer number of players who come back to Spokane is telling, in my opinion.

I think it also has always helped GU that Spokane has no pro sports, and now Washington in general has no NBA.

Why the snark? "The next Gonzaga" is a compliment to the original. Let them try, wish them well and keep raising the bar.

This thread sounds defensive and insecure. By now we should not be looking over our shoulder and throwing shade.

However as long as we are on the subject-Davidson was also mentioned as a possible next Gonzaga at one time.

ZZ

It's been a long, steady climb for Gonzaga. If someone identifies a program today that will be the next Gonzaga, we probably won't know for many years...

Don't care. All I care about is Gonzaga stays "Gonzaga" in the basketball world. The rise continues......till "That Day Comes"
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Why the snark? "The next Gonzaga" is a compliment to the original. Let them try, wish them well and keep raising the bar.

This thread sounds defensive and insecure. By now we should not be looking over our shoulder and throwing shade.

However as long as we are on the subject-Davidson was also mentioned as a possible next Gonzaga at one time.

ZZ
    the snark is because Pitino is a used car salesman, and it's right that he be called out as such, again. Not enough of that today, I'm happy to do it ZZ

and insecure? my backside, llol, the opposite man

I agree it's a compliment, and at this point, also a grandiose claim for Pitino, too. Not mutually exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Good luck with that.
    Needs a good gif to go with that:

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death