Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wichita State Transfer Erik Stevenson List Zags in Top 5

Default Wichita State Transfer Erik Stevenson List Zags in Top 5

Mods, feel free to move when appropriate.

Former Timberline (Lacey, WA) standout is transferring from Wichita State and has listed his top 5. The Junior-to-be averaged 11.1 points and 4.7 boards per game as a Sophomore. Both Arizona and Seton Hall reached out to Erik but didn't make his Top 5. Wichita State is losing five to transfer so far this post-season.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...21257767350277

Erik Stevenson Retweeted
    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Wichita State transfer Erik Stevenson tells me that he has cut his list to the following schools (in no particular order):

Washington
    Oregon
    Gonzaga
    Maryland
    San Diego State

The Wichita Eagle: ‘Coach and I didn’t have a great relationship’: Erik Stevenson speaks on WSU transfer

Last edited by SWZag; 03-18-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

More red flags than NASCAR but, as usual, we can rely on Few who picks transfers well, very well.

Not exactly a PBK resume....not sure he’s even good enough nowadays.

Stevenson would likely have to sit out the 2020-21 season before having two years of eligibility. The Lacey, Washington native appeared in 31 games (21 starts) for the Shockers this season, averaging 11.1 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game. He shot 37.7 percent from the field and 30.4 percent from 3, hoisting over five triples per game.

Pass. Our current recruits are superior. And he uses a scholly while he sits.

Wichita State is losing five to transfer so far this post-season.

Whoa, that's a bunch
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Kid is a stud on the court. If Few is good with him, I’d take him in a heartbeat!

From the article.

He could potentially be eligible to play immediately next season if the NCAA changes its transfer rules as expected before next season, which would require a release from WSU, leaving WSU academically eligible and maintaining their academic progress at their new schools. If not, Stevenson would redshirt next season and start his junior year in the 2021-22 season.

Otherwise I don't know much about this kid.

That's a lot of turnover, what's going on at WSU?

Lowest ranked recruit we’d have on the roster, I think.

He’s not a good shooter. Assist to turnover ratio is not great. Didn’t get along with the coach.I haven’t watched him, but not sure what’s so compelling about him.

Reddit comments. Take with a grain of salt, of course. Micah Downs had some pretty nasty things said about him before he transferred, and he turned out to be a gem:

"Anyone accepting Stevenson as a transfer has to know his dad comes as a "package deal." Dude made more facebook rants than a bored secretary."

"The dad is a nightmare. If I was Erik I was be embarrassed by him. I was a freaking D1 athlete. If my parents ever intervened that way, I would've been humiliated."

"Erik was a toxic locker room teammate"

"Stevenson was pretty good in the noncon (which really boosted his numbers), but then fell apart in the conference, save a few games. When he was "on," he was great. Good shots, good hustle, good defense. When he was "off"... woof. Horrible shots, hairpulling turnovers. I'm sad to see him go, but not surprised. His dad posted a few rants on Shocker groups on facebook that it would be hard to see a player staying around after."

"It's no secret that Marshall lays into these guys, but Erik's dad's ramblings would hold a little more weight if Erik hadn't been playing so bad by that point. I mean, a leader is normally a guy who's been there a while and produces on the court, not a guy who's the same age and throws the ball straight to the other team, then whines when others don't pass it to him. Erik had the kind of swagger a player can only have when they're really good."

"Stevenson would put up 28 against Tulane and 2 against Houston. He might be able to work it out, but he is not very consistent. His attitude also seemed to be an issue."

Pass

Pass with extreme prejudice

He’ll be fine in Seattle!!!

I say pass as well., but really trust the staff in their choices, and it helps he might be an automatic sit out and really learn the concept of team ball. Right now his rep seems to be he's a gunner.
    The 2021 lockerroom could be the YOUNGEST GU team ever, and they cant have guys that could be toxic. We know the staff will do their Homework and then some, but these are some loud, loud red flags that don't normally get outed like this, even if they are Wichita St fan message boards

Norvell couldve been considered a gunner, but he played very well in the offense as we all know.

OK here's a Q for the board, JazzD etc.: Remember Gerard Coleman? GU in 2014 after transferring from Providence. For some reason never quite fit, and transferred to NAIA for his last year of eligibility.

But why take a risk on a guy that isn’t that great to begin with? Low three star recruit - terrible shooter. Selfish...

Did we recruit him at all coming out of high school? I dont remember him coming up on this board. Just wondering if there might have been a pre-existing relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    But why take a risk on a guy that isn’t that great to begin with? Low three star recruit - terrible shooter. Selfish...
    Didn't we have another player that fit this description...and I think that player was a key reason we won the WCC Tournament and went to the NCAA...some kid who transferred after playing for two other schools...

Granted they have made two mistakes in recent ties...one was the transfer from UK and the other from a BE school...sorry names seem to no longer be in my corrupted hard drive of a memory...

Coach Few and his staff are the ones that need to be convinced about a players value as WE don't really have an understanding of the skill and mental outlook of a player and whether that player can achieve the goals required to be a basketball player for GU...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Didn't we have another player that fit this description...and I think that player was a key reason we won the WCC Tournament and went to the NCAA...some kid who transferred after playing for two other schools...

Granted they have made two mistakes in recent ties...one was the transfer from UK and the other from a BE school...sorry names seem to no longer be in my corrupted hard drive of a memory...

Coach Few and his staff are the ones that need to be convinced about a players value as WE don't really have an understanding of the skill and mental outlook of a player and whether that player can achieve the goals required to be a basketball player for GU...
    You’re comparing a top 100 recruit to a top 250 recruit, both with baggage.

That’s my whole point. There is no reason to take a risk on a low rated recruit who, quite frankly, has shown nothing to this point. Low percentage shooter (terrible from the perimeter), selfish, not a good teammate.

You’re comparing a top 100 recruit to a top 250 recruit, both with baggage.

That’s my whole point. There is no reason to take a risk on a low rated recruit who, quite frankly, has shown nothing to this point. Low percentage shooter (terrible from the perimeter), selfish, not a good teammate.
    First off, Five, Four, Three, Two and One star rating of HS players goes out the window when the kid is in college and especially if they have college experience. There are many 5 and 4 star recruits that do not live up to the hype. I don't know where Woolridge was rated as a HS player but as a grad senior he proved to everyone that he could play for any P-5 school in the country. You're entitled to your opinion as am I and the Coaching Staff has the knowledge, experience and understanding of the needs of GU more so than any of us.

Wichita St's coach said he felt more like a psychiatrist than a coach at times, and it seems that it was an issue with multiple players. I feel like more was going on over there than a simple malcontent and his overbearing father, and the coaching staff could be as easily to blame as the players. It mentions in the story that the coach really gets into his players, and that Erik Stevenson was always looking over his shoulder because they had a philosophy of taking you out of the game after one mistake. He could possibly do much better in a better situation. If the staff thinks that GU is that situation, I trust them.

First off, Five, Four, Three, Two and One star rating of HS players goes out the window when the kid is in college and especially if they have college experience. There are many 5 and 4 star recruits that do not live up to the hype. I don't know where Woolridge was rated as a HS player but as a grad senior he proved to everyone that he could play for any P-5 school in the country. You're entitled to your opinion as am I and the Coaching Staff has the knowledge, experience and understanding of the needs of GU more so than any of us.
    Agree. Everyone should have their opinions respected. Ultimately, the staff’s opinion is the only one that matters.

To clarify, the ranking of a recruit often speaks to potential, whether or not it materializes. What I was arguing is that he has shown nothing attractive to date on the court - shooting percentage is just awful. His ceiling and potential do not warrant taking this risk on baggage.

At any rate, I trust the staff.

Woolridge was once a USD Terrero (San Diego Union- Tribune). It appears he was not ranked in any list; ESPN, Rivals, Scout, 247, etc, thus making him a 2-star.

ETA: Just see on twitter that a sixth player is now transferring from Wichita State. That can't be a good situation.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Agree. Everyone should have their opinions respected. Ultimately, the staff’s opinion is the only one that matters.

To clarify, the ranking of a recruit often speaks to potential, whether or not it materializes. What I was arguing is that he has shown nothing attractive to date on the court - shooting percentage is just awful. His ceiling and potential do not warrant taking this risk on baggage.

Everybody in the country wanted this kid after he said he was transferring. That should tell you all you need to know about his talent level.

Eric McClellan was the transfer to who I was referring...I can't recall all the skeptics and the discussion on him before he arrived but without him we wouldn't have "Danced" in 2016...I understand the stars but they are no where near as accurate as one would think...I can remember the twin guards at UK...their talent/skill as 5*'s never materialized...imo

Have a a nice evening!!!

Eric McClellan was the transfer to who I was referring...I can't recall all the skeptics and the discussion on him before he arrived but without him we wouldn't have "Danced" in 2016...I understand the stars but they are no where near as accurate as one would think...I can remember the twin guards at UK...their talent/skill as 5*'s never materialized...imo

Have a a nice evening!!!
    The Harrison twins were in the championship game as freshmen, and were 38-1 as sophmores, were they not ? That is pretty good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    The Harrison twins were in the championship game as freshmen, and were 38-1 as sophmores, were they not ? That is pretty good in my book.
    I do remember that but imo they were surrounded with excellent talent...I don't even remember with whom they played professional ball...I just didn't think they lived up to their billing.