Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitinos Goal for Iona

Default Pitinos Goal for Iona

Dick Vitale
    @DickieV

21h
    @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
    struck gold in recruiting as he has 5 commitments who r labeled 4 star players by some but trust me with Pitinoís teaching & motivating talents they will become 5 star PTPers . His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DONíT BET AGAINST IT

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Dick Vitale
    @DickieV

21h
    @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
    struck gold in recruiting as he has 5 commitments who r labeled 4 star players by some but trust me with Pitino’s teaching & motivating talents they will become 5 star PTPers . His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
    Don’t bet against a. Team trying to become Gonzaga? All these schools that have tried have failed, so I’m not going to bet on any lol
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Dick Vitale
    @DickieV

21h
    @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
    struck gold in recruiting as he has 5 commitments who r labeled 4 star players by some but trust me with Pitino’s teaching & motivating talents they will become 5 star PTPers . His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
    This smells fishy AF.
    Agent provocateur

Can he do it without strippers and payola?

A few years back I started a thread about all of the teams that thought they could/should/would become the next Gonzaga.

Add Iona to the list.

edit to add: it was last year. Here it is again.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...hlight=Gonzaga

Excluding power 6 conferences, which team IS the closest to Gonzaga in terms of tournament wins or regular season wins in the last decade?

Doesnít seem like any other school is even close. Maybe Cincinnati? WSU? Which other non p-6 teams routinely even make the dance?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Excluding power 6 conferences, which team IS the closest to Gonzaga in terms of tournament wins or regular season wins in the last decade?

Doesn’t seem like any other school is even close. Maybe Cincinnati? WSU? Which other non p-6 teams routinely even make the dance?
    Creighton and Butler would have been the obvious choices before they got sucked into the Big East. After the two you mentioned, I'm going to throw out a few that came to mind: VCU, Belmont, and Dayton.
    Agent provocateur

Pitino and Iona may be a perfect fit

In 2011, Iona College stated that it had reported inflated figures from 2002–2011 about "acceptance rates, SAT scores, graduation rates, and alumni who give annually" in a bid to influence college rankings.[6][7] Afterward, an internal audit office was established to ensure data integrity.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    Creighton and Butler would have been the obvious choices before they got sucked into the Big East. After the two you mentioned, I'm going to throw out a few that came to mind: VCU, Belmont, and Dayton.
    Wichita State

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Wichita State
    I didnt think they had a men's basketball team anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I didnt think they had a men's basketball team anymore.
    The team is still there, they just don't have any players left.

They were the WSU in my initial question.

Dickie V should speak up for the integrity of college basketball and call Pitino a slimeball who doesn't belong in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    They were the WSU in my initial question.
    That's what I assumed.
    Agent provocateur

I've read a handful of stories on the Wichita St transfer situation and there seems to be no introspection or accountability for the mass exodus there. One article blamed the improvement in recruiting and that the respective players all thought that they should be playing more, but I don't buy that. And if that is the case, the coaching staff likely isn't being clear enough about expectations when they recruit these guys. The same apologists tacitly corroborated, in my opinion, the complaints that the coach was too verbally tough on the players when he said that players need to have thicker skin. The coach said he felt more like a psychiatrist than a coach at times. Is that on the players, or the coaching staff? If I was an administrator I'd be taking a close look at the adults in the room and seeing where things went wrong on that end first.

His goal is to make Iona the GONZAGA of the East . DON’T BET AGAINST IT
    Good luck with that.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I see it going like Larry Brown’s stint at SMU. A couple decent years, borderline Top 25, then resigns in yet another scandal.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Next closest? I think Xavier. They've probably missed the Dance a few times, but they have a solid history going back about 30 years. Started real small, in the now defunct Mid Continent Conference or something like that. Then A-10 and Big East. Have won a game or two or three in the Tourney a bunch of times. The difference between them and Gonzaga is that they've been a stepping stone and have had a bunch of different coaches, but they kept it rolling even with frequent changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think his goal is to ensure that the "new" strippers and hookers are paid appropriately so that they won't blab as the last group did...

I detest him and what he has done...He left UMass and they went on probation and he was fired from UL and probation followed...how did he not get banned for five years as others have for lesser offences?
    Pitino never coached at UMass, you're confusing him with Calipari.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Next closest? I think Xavier. They've probably missed the Dance a few times, but they have a solid history going back about 30 years. Started real small, in the now defunct Mid Continent Conference or something like that. Then A-10 and Big East. Have won a game or two or three in the Tourney a bunch of times. The difference between them and Gonzaga is that they've been a stepping stone and have had a bunch of different coaches, but they kept it rolling even with frequent changes.
    That's a good one too, but I thought we were counting the Big East as a power conference.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pitino never coached at UMass, you're confusing him with Calipari.
    You are so darn right!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    I see it going like Larry Brown’s stint at SMU. A couple decent years, borderline Top 25, then resigns in yet another scandal.
    I can’t imagine any scenario in which Pitino stays at Iona long enough to build a sustained powerhouse at that school. If he enjoys any success at all, he will use that as a springboard to his next coaching opportunity at a bigger program. He’ll only stick around, until some desperate athletic director offers him a better gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    You are so darn right!
    Both slimy.

“The next Gonzaga.” We’ve heard it a bunch over the years. When was the first time - I do not remember. But GU’s run is more than just a run at this point. It’s more than just a few deep runs into the tournament. At this point we are talking more than 20 years. I’ll bet against pitino on this one. Still, high praise for CoachFew.

Dick Vitale
    @DickieV

21h
    @IonaGaelsMBB

@RealPitino
    I wonder if Dickie V would actually take that bet. It couldn't be for a single year obviously, so at his age, money would have to be placed in a 'winner takes all' trust fund, for 20 years later. That would be the only way to see if they replicated what Gonzaga has done.

Would he give odds?
    It's not funny.