Thread: The tip-in that launched Gonzaga

Default The tip-in that launched Gonzaga

The Athletic is doing a series by their writers called 'The Best NCAA Tournament Game I ever saw'. Seth Davis' game is about the 99 game against Florida.

The Best NCAA Tournament Game I Ever Saw: The tip-in that launched Gonzaga

I can still see it clearly in my mind’s eye. I’m sitting on press row, looking up at the basket to my right. Gonzaga guard Quentin Hall is driving the lane with his team trailing Florida in the Sweet 16 by one point with seven seconds to go. Hall’s shot is too strong, and a gaggle of hands reaches for the ball as it caroms off the backboard and rim. One of those hands belongs to Zags sophomore forward Casey Calvary, who slaps it back toward the basket. It lands dead on the flange and drops through, putting Gonzaga up, 73-72, with 4.4 seconds to play.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Thank God Brent Wright traveled.

the only play that gives me more goose bumps than this one, is Ammo's shot in the last few seconds, "off the glass" Oklahoma St., two or three defenders knew the inbound would get to him, who do we have in the post Stockton era that is better at creating his own shots? I don't know enough about Burgess, but
    oh so happy he got his recognition, the media on him made us famous and launched the 'overrated, they don't play anybody' decade to follow.
    gosh its fun to be a fan of this organization ...

Gonzaga...................the slipper still fits!!

Gus Johnson, best line ever. Still get chills every time I watch it.

Go ZAGS

The Zags were down three with 45.7 seconds to go. I recall doing a lot of pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    Thank God Brent Wright traveled.
    Q missed the call to foul, and forced the travel ....

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I re-watched the final minute maybe 2 years ago. I couldn't believe how close we were to losing that game, how many things had to come together perfectly. Including Florida missing a 3 that looked so pure all the way to the rim. Every time I swear that ball is going in.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

BTW - It would seem to me that Seth has seen a lot of NCAA games, for him to say that was the best is ...

I still think that maybe the victory over Stanford the week before - I was there, as many here, I'm sure - was even bigger. No one gave us a chance in that game.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

we can fuel ourselves with memories of yesteryear
    until
    next year when we can start making more fabulous ones

Watching the 1999 Florida game right now. The thing that really stands out to me is the difference in post play. I think those guards - Santagelo, Frahm, Hall - could slip into the current offense pretty seamlessly. But the bigs we have now have such amazing post moves. The skill level of guys like Rui, Clark, Petrusev, & Karnowski really stands out when watching the old guard's post moves.