Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 2020-21

@gonzagit, the Gonzaga fan since 2017:

What does league strength have to do with free throw percentage? Do half of American High Schools have a 6’6 player, let alone a 6’6 guard? With your rather blatant basketball illiteracy, I don’t take much stock in your assessment of game film.

As for guards, I’d say Dellavedova and Mills would have comfortably started on any Gonzaga team in the Few era.

As for NCAA appearances and success, I’d just ask what the standard is? Compared to the rest of the WCC not named Gonzaga, how has RB done on that front? Compared to the rest of mid majors in the country over the last 20 years? How would RB have done in a true one bid league that was not dominated by a high major? I know it’s hard to think outside of your little Spokane snow globe, but give it a shot.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    1h
    Texas' 20-21 schedule:

18 Big 12 games
    Maui Invitational (3)
    Villanova (Big East/Big 12 Battle)
    Gonzaga
    Big 12/SEC Challenge (road)

Heck of a slate for what should be Shaka Smart's best team in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post

What does league strength have to do with free throw percentage? Do half of American High Schools have a 6’6 player, let alone a 6’6 guard? With your rather blatant basketball illiteracy, I don’t take much stock in your assessment of game film.

As for guards, I’d say Dellavedova and Mills would have comfortably started on any Gonzaga team in the Few era.

As for NCAA appearances and success, I’d just ask what the standard is? Compared to the rest of the WCC not named Gonzaga, how has RB done on that front? Compared to the rest of mid majors in the country over the last 20 years? How would RB have done in a true one bid league that was not dominated by a high major? I know it’s hard to think outside of your little Spokane snow globe, but give it a shot.
    So the “trust fund” that Few was supposedly handed is basically SMC circa-2010. Why has RB not been able to elevate the program at all from that point? I’d guess your answer is “because of Gonzaga” but that cuts both ways. SMC gets 2-3 marquee games per year that comes with increased exposure that virtually no other mid majors get, much more ESPN coverage because of Gonzaga, the ability to use games against GU as a recruiting tool, etc. Few never had any of that.

Few did go on the road quite a bit against BCS teams in the early days with no return game...but I know RB’s scheduling philosophy has been played out and beating a dead horse at this point.

What’s also played out, in my opinion, is the whole “only good because they are in Spokane with no pro sports” argument. Sure it may count for a little, but plenty of colleges, both mid major and BCS, have the exact same circumstances. I think SMC fans in general put way too much stock in this.

In my opinion there was also a stretch where the talent level between both teams was pretty close to even. From 2007 (post Morrison) to 2012 GU had somewhat hit a Plateau as a program. SMC on the other hand had a great stretch of players. To your point, Mills and Delly would have started on probably every GU team...even at our current level. They were probably the best players on the court most of the time they played GU. That was definitely our most competitive stretch with SMC and would guess RB had, at best, a 40% winning percentage against Few even if you take out our 2008-2009 team (the one outlier from an otherwise mediocre stretch)? Kind of hard to make the “RB is a better coach argument” when you look at it that way.

Most GU fans respect the heck out of RB and SMC. He is definitely an elite mid major coach. But all of the “certainty” talk about RB replicating what Few has done is quite a stretch in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Did RB neglect to recruit you or something back in the day?
    Thanks 50 and 62. Always great to have someone with common sense and objectivity to take out the trash when necessary.

SMC's recruiting class should be the best ever with at least 5 or 6 coming in. Hey, help me out here. What does a recruit with 4 Stars next to his name mean? We got two or three of 'em coming in. Probably means they were "okay for playing on a high school team." Guess I should ask Gonzagit?

TO ALL OF YOU GU FANTASTIC FANS...hang in there, be safe and keep doing what Gonzaga does.

This talk bums me out as it seems people are pushing for no sports or big gatherings until 2021.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    This talk bums me out as it seems people are pushing for no sports or big gatherings until 2021.
    If necessary, cancel the OOC and in a worse case scenario, just have league play begin in January, followed by the WCC and NCAA Tournaments...

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    If necessary, cancel the OOC and in a worse case scenario, just have league play begin in January, followed by the WCC and NCAA Tournaments...
    If a timely test for exposure to the virus is developed, and available, I feel that the games will be played...at least the conference games.
    They may be played before no crowds, or very small crowds to begin with, but it all is contingent on being able to limit exposure to the virus, and nipping it in the bud.

Better to have no season at all than to have people getting sick, with some deaths (if the mortality rate is 1% and assuming that 10% of fans at a 7,000 attendance GU game are exposed, that would infer 7 deaths per 700 infected, per game [I have made up those figures, they aren't from any source, just my supposition]) 2-4 weeks after every game.

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post

LOL:

A Gonzaga fan since 1998, but nice try. I have 2 degrees from GU and am not from Spokane, nor do I live there.

Nothing screams elite college basketball program like a good free throw shooters! The fact that you just randomly picked out 2 guards over a 20 year period that would start at GU, when this wasn't included in any previous post or argument, speaks volumes.

Randy Bennett wasn't even involved in my original point, so it's hilarious that we got here. My original point was that your roster is pretty bad, and you're going to be worse than the team that we beat by a combined 58 points this year. History would show that SMC goes to the tournament basically once about every 3 years, so it looks like another 2 year break for you.

Also hilarious that SMC fans are just scouring other teams message boards looking for validation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Thanks 50 and 62. Always great to have someone with common sense and objectivity to take out the trash when necessary.

SMC's recruiting class should be the best ever with at least 5 or 6 coming in. Hey, help me out here. What does a recruit with 4 Stars next to his name mean? We got two or three of 'em coming in. Probably means they were "okay for playing on a high school team." Guess I should ask Gonzagit?

TO ALL OF YOU GU FANTASTIC FANS...hang in there, be safe and keep doing what Gonzaga does.
    Actually, you have 1 four star guy coming in: https://247sports.com/college/st-mar...tball/Commits/

I also have no idea what "okay for playing on a high school team." means. All incoming US freshmen played for HS teams. Very confusing, especially quoted, when no one posted this anywhere else.

If being a "GU FANTASTIC FAN" means being required to slob all over SMC, I guess I'll pass... quicker than an RB handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Actually, you have 1 four star guy coming in: https://247sports.com/college/st-mar...tball/Commits/

I also have no idea what "okay for playing on a high school team." means. All incoming US freshmen played for HS teams. Very confusing, especially quoted, when no one posted this anywhere else.

If being a "GU FANTASTIC FAN" means being required to slob all over SMC, I guess I'll pass... quicker than an RB handshake.
    Why are you picking fights with multiple posters?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Why are you picking fights with multiple posters?
    Look back at the thread. I didn't pick a fight with anyone. I posted once about SMC's roster being bad and all of the insecure SMC guys came flying in. It's not like I was looking for it. That being said, it's a good way to stay entertained working from home.

Nothing like a good pissing match to divert attention from the Corona Virus.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I don't know, Birddog -- a "diversion" is usually better (or at least less horrible) than the original problem. Here, I'm not sure which is worse -- the virus or the vitriol!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    I don't know, Birddog -- a "diversion" is usually better (or at least less horrible) than the original problem. Here, I'm not sure which is worse -- the virus or the vitriol!
    So SLO, are you picking a fight?
    Birddog

Birddog:

You ask "So SLO, are you picking a fight?" Absolutely not. I just noted how painful the back and forth fighting is to read.

https://youtu.be/Y0rmqKsKHoQ
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Birddog:

You ask "So SLO, are you picking a fight?" Absolutely not. I just noted how painful the back and forth fighting is to read.

https://youtu.be/Y0rmqKsKHoQ
    I was just kidding around. Although It does seem like the slightest disagreements cannot be civilly debated .
    Birddog

LOL - so you're only a "good poster" here if you post what you want to hear? I THINK PERHAPS, MOST DEFINITELY that SMC is going to be bad next year. You lost your best 2 players and you weren't very good this year. You lost 5 WCC games, which would have been 6 had Childs been healthy. I think RB is a good coach, and he'll make your team better than it would be with another coach, but your roster isn't very good.

This isn't "uninformed". I watch as much if not more college hoops than you, and I watch the Gaels quite a bit. You're just a fan, I'm not.
    A quick search shows that 247 ranked Jordan Ford 154 in his hs class and Fitts 318. I think you're overlooking player development, as well as a history of consistently good team chemistry.

Mullins is gonna be very, very good. If SMC falls out of the top 3 in the conference, I'll be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Virus? What virus???

Josh Gershon
    @JoshGershon
    ·
    26m
    Four-star Turkish 2020 prospect and Orange (Calif.) Lutheran forward Tibet Gorener has committed to Arizona

https://247sports.com/college/basket...key-146568774/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Josh Gershon
    @JoshGershon
    ·
    26m
    Four-star Turkish 2020 prospect and Orange (Calif.) Lutheran forward Tibet Gorener has committed to Arizona

https://247sports.com/college/basket...key-146568774/

Any reports on what form of currency was used?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Lira

Lolol 50. For many reasons.

Thumbs up.

Look back at the thread. I didn't pick a fight with anyone. I posted once about SMC's roster being bad and all of the insecure SMC guys came flying in. It's not like I was looking for it. That being said, it's a good way to stay entertained working from home.
    Man, you're a perfect prospect for the next rendition of Fight Club...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Man, you're a perfect prospect for the next rendition of Fight Club...

I wished I was that ripped.

Just don't understand the need to sit around and praise everything SMC. If I was talking about Utah State, no one would care..... but it's over. When SMC is bad next year, I'll be laughing.