Thread: The Game

Default The Game

Finest young men and women in the country. Army v Navy from Michie Stadium. If you ever need a boost, visit the USMA.

That's on my bucket list!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    That's on my bucket list!
    Good for you. I was there many times for various reasons. First as a young SID I worked a Bobby Knight-Manhattan College game, yes Koach was their pg; then to a dual track meet. Fast forward a few years, I spent two weeks on the grounds as a Spec 4 in the Army during our annual 16 day summer training at a place called Camp Buckner. Lastly, and best, I twice watched my son play pg for Lafayette vs Army in hoops. The irony of all this is that as a high school senior I received a congressional appointment to West Point — and the new AF Academy — but turned them down. Life’s strange, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Good for you. I was there many times for various reasons. First as a young SID I worked a Bobby Knight-Manhattan College game, yes Koach was their pg; then to a dual track meet. Fast forward a few years, I spent two weeks on the grounds as a Spec 4 in the Army during our annual 16 day summer training at a place called Camp Buckner. Lastly, and best, I twice watched my son play pg for Lafayette vs Army in hoops. The irony of all this is that as a high school senior I received a congressional appointment to West Point — and the new AF Academy — but turned them down. Life’s strange, huh?
    Oh, life is very strange. When I was young I read books set at West Point and saw various movies set there and I've always been struck by the self-sacrifice needed to endure such a tough place. As I've aged, I know it's not quite as black and white as the YA books I read made it out to be, but I always watch this game and find myself moved.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I received appointments to all four academies. I chose Colorado Springs because my dad was a career AF guy. I absolutely LOVED the summer before the academic year. Jack’s Valley was an awesome experience. Then, the academic year started. I hated marching for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The lunch March to entertain the tourists was the worst. Plus, when I was told to do something, I had a bad habit of asking why. I got really good at pushups.

Those places represent some of the best people this country has to offer. My personality just didn’t fit. I succeeded elsewhere. You are correct. Life is strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I received appointments to all four academies. I chose Colorado Springs because my dad was a career AF guy. I absolutely LOVED the summer before the academic year. Jack’s Valley was an awesome experience. Then, the academic year started. I hated marching for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The lunch March to entertain the tourists was the worst. Plus, when I was told to do something, I had a bad habit of asking why. I got really good at pushups.

Those places represent some of the best people this country has to offer. My personality just didn’t fit. I succeeded elsewhere. You are correct. Life is strange.
    Mark, congrats for recognizing that. Yea, the Point wasn’t for me. I ended up at Fort Lewis North Fort then Yakima Firing Center where I too continued to ask why, and be invited to do push-ups.

I find that a bit surprising. I was stationed at Hahn AB and Spangdahlem AB during my 4 years in Germany...Also spent a lot of time at Bitburg and Ramstein. My impression was the Air Force was the closest thing to civilian life you could get. The facilities were far superior to the other services. Had a great time verbally mixing it up with the fighter jocks in the O Club my first year at Hahn. Had to live on post, was able to move off post after that.

I never applied to a service academy, Gonzaga's ROTC program had the right balance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I find that a bit surprising. I was stationed at Hahn AB and Spangdahlem AB during my 4 years in Germany...Also spent a lot of time at Bitburg and Ramstein. My impression was the Air Force was the closest thing to civilian life you could get. The facilities were far superior to the other services. Had a great time verbally mixing it up with the fighter jocks in the O Club my first year at Hahn. Had to live on post, was able to move off post after that.

I never applied to a service academy, Gonzaga's ROTC program had the right balance for me.
    The academies are very different from active duty. They’re crucibles for leadership. And 24-7. Best of the best, IMO.

Been to West Point as a tourist. I grew up about 10 miles from Lafayette, Jazz. Quite familiar with the place in my youth, and the Lafayette-Lehigh rivalry. But I left for my turn in the service and never lived in the Easton PA area again!

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Been to West Point as a tourist. I grew up about 10 miles from Lafayette, Jazz. Quite familiar with the place in my youth, and the Lafayette-Lehigh rivalry. But I left for my turn in the service and never lived in the Easton PA area again!
    So 116, you left the land of Crayola for greener pastures. So did my son, first to Del Mar then to the city with all the tall buildings and vast opportunity and which we all pray will be that once again.

i am impressed, very small percentages of people that want to go can get accepted.
    when i was in the army i didn't ask why and still had to do a lot of pushups,
    but
    not as many as those who were squeaky wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    i am impressed, very small percentages of people that want to go can get accepted.
    when i was in the army i didn't ask why and still had to do a lot of pushups,
    but
    not as many as those who were squeaky wheels
    I'm probably exaggerating, but it seemed like I was averaging 500+ pushups a day the first two weeks at Jump School. The black hats (instructors) seemed to take great pleasure in dropping officers for pushups. The higher the rank, the more pushups you did. Asking why? Aw, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'm probably exaggerating, but it seemed like I was averaging 500+ pushups a day the first two weeks at Jump School. The black hats (instructors) seemed to take great pleasure in dropping officers for pushups. The higher the rank, the more pushups you did. Asking why? Aw, hell no.
    My Dad, when he was accepted into the Army Air Corps in 1940-41 (I think, I wasn't around then) was 6'7" and weighed 175. A real string bean.
    He had a DI that did that to him, a spark plug type, and he made Dad do push ups and pull ups. Finally enough was enough. Dad picked up a piece of chalk and made a mark on the wall, well over 8' up. He told the DI that when HE could make that mark, standing flat footed on the floor, then My dad would do the push ups etc.
    I guess that getting aviators was more important than the DI's ego 'cause he graduated and served 26 years.
    Are you laughing at ME?

My grandson is attending WP at this time. He's here in AZ with us on Christmas break for a few days and we played golf at the Luke Air Force base course called Falcon Dunes. Terrific course that only veterans and current military can play. I was guest of my grandson and his father who was a combat Iraq veteran. F-22's and F-35's were like a swarm of bees overhead all day long flying right over us. Kinda hard to putt when your cheeks are shaking from that roar but it was awesome.

Grandson Isaiah ran around the house with fatigues on when he was five years old. His dad was his hero to no end and he set his sights on West Point at an early age. He is bright and gifted, played football and did track in HS. 3.95 GPA, athletic and of kept his nose clean. Great kid. Finished 1st year in top 10% of his class with no demerits and now a sophomore. He was at the game and we texted through the entire game and he showed up here in AZ the following day. Was that four down stand from the two yard line amazing or what? Neither team has an air attack because Navy is down to their 4th string QB and Army receivers just can't catch balls he tells me. It was a ground grinder game and fairly boring to watch but Army won!

15,000 applied, 1,100 got accepted. 32% of the class of 2023 are female, by far the highest ever.
    It makes for a proud Grandpa, I'll say that.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Hey Will, is your dad Dick's brother? Dick is a good friend and is tall too.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    My grandson is attending WP at this time. He's here in AZ with us on Christmas break for a few days and we played golf at the Luke Air Force base course called Falcon Dunes. Terrific course that only veterans and current military can play. I was guest of my grandson and his father who was a combat Iraq veteran. F-22's and F-35's were like a swarm of bees overhead all day long flying right over us. Kinda hard to putt when your cheeks are shaking from that roar but it was awesome.

Grandson Isaiah ran around the house with fatigues on when he was five years old. His dad was his hero to no end and he set his sights on West Point at an early age. He is bright and gifted, played football and did track in HS. 3.95 GPA, athletic and of kept his nose clean. Great kid. Finished 1st year in top 10% of his class with no demerits and now a sophomore. He was at the game and we texted through the entire game and he showed up here in AZ the following day. Was that four down stand from the two yard line amazing or what? Neither team has an air attack because Navy is down to their 4th string QB and Army receivers just can't catch balls he tells me. It was a ground grinder game and fairly boring to watch but Army won!

15,000 applied, 1,100 got accepted. 32% of the class of 2023 are female, by far the highest ever.
    It makes for a proud Grandpa, I'll say that.
    Justifiably, grampa. And the rate is even lower since there’s an enormous degree of self selection among applicants. It’s a calling. Having a star cadet as a g-s is the tops. God bless the whole family, Griz. And yes, the lady cadets rock as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEJ2Qg8u3Q

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Hey Will, is your dad Dick's brother? Dick is a good friend and is tall too.
    Dick is my Dad's nephew and my cousin.

Great thing for a grandson to be a cadet. Congratulations.
    Are you laughing at ME?

I have to constantly remind some people that this is an all volunteer service right now. These people are choosing to defend our nation and at times put up with some things that, honestly, don't make a lot of sense. But they deal with it. They have my ultimate respect.

Grew up about two and half hours away from West Point in upstate N.Y. My Dad took me there at least three times and it was an incredible place. We used to set on the ancient cannons that overlooked the Hudson River.

Loved the old Army/Navy games, especially in 1960 when Joe Bellino, Navy's Heisman Trophy All-American halfback played.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Grew up about two and half hours away from West Point in upstate N.Y. My Dad took me there at least three times and it was an incredible place. We used to set on the ancient cannons that overlooked the Hudson River.

Loved the old Army/Navy games, especially in 1960 when Joe Bellino, Navy's Heisman Trophy All-American halfback played.
    I believe it was in Sports Illustrated where I read the "bucket list" of college football.

Some were obvious, LSU Death Valley in a night game, you hear again that when they score a touchdown or turnover it registers on seismoneters (sp?)

Clemson; Running down touching the rock

One was actually UW on a sunny day with Lake Washington in view - I have to admit, that is awfully special

And the surprise: "You haven't seen college football until you attend a Saturday afternoon game at West Point in the beginning of October when the morning is cold and afternoon is sweater weather, with the trees in fall colors, the canons, the clear sky"

They convinced me.

In all my years going to the NCAA tournament, Navy had the greatest cheer that they did at times throughout the game, while playing, I'm sure it's familiar to many, "Gooo mighty Navy, go, go, Navy"
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.