Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 2020-21

Default Future Opponents 2020-21

Verbal Commits
    @VerbalCommits
    ·
    2h
    Saint Mary's C Jock Perry (RS JR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer w/one year to play. https://verbalcommits.com/players/jock-perry

7 mins a game and 3 pts 2 board

Now St Marys has no legit center on the roster.

St Marys Malik Fitts declares for the draft.

2nd leading scorer 16 pts and leading rebounder 7 boards

https://twitter.com/MalikFitts/statu...03917178245120

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

That might hurt more than losing Jock Perry.

SMC is going to be god awful next year....

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    It appears the league is pretty brutal next year. Big drop offs at BYU and St Mary’s. On top of that, I’m really not sure if anyone else is improved (maybe Pepperdine).

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Randy Bennett always finds a way to have a decent team. I wouldn't write them off.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    Randy Bennett always finds a way to have a decent team. I wouldn't write them off.
    Look at their roster... it's awful. I don't care who's coaching, you have to have players. Ford and Fitts were the only reason they were respectable.

Default SMC Next Season

IMHO--I like these guys, think they'll form a solid core:

PG - Tommy Kuhse, 6'2
    G - Alex Ducas, 6'6
    F - Malik Fitts, 6'7
    F - Dan Fotu, 6'7 (pressed into bigger role for Tass)
    C - Matthias Tass, 6'10 (starter, season-ending injury)

---
    F - Kyle Bowen, 6'8. <--- really like
    G - Kristers Zoriks, 6'4 <--- little nervous about

They're gonna need to find some combo of the above to replace Jordon Ford's production, though. Wonder who Randy's got coming in/maybe grad-transferring.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

PG - Tommy Kuhse, 6'2
    G - Alex Ducas, 6'6
    F - Malik Fitts, 6'7

---

They're gonna need to find some combo of the above to replace Jordon Ford's production, though. Wonder who Randy's got coming in/maybe grad-transferring.

Looks like Fitts will be going the professional route, through media outlets I read today.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Looks like Fitts will be going the professional route, through media outlets I read today.
    Do you really think he is NBA material ? I hate it when these sleazy agents get in these players ear and convince them that they are super stars and are a cinch to make the NBA, when they are not. This guy is a good college player, but it takes more than that to make an NBA. For his own good I hope he returns to the Gaels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Do you really think he is NBA material ? I hate it when these sleazy agents get in these players ear and convince them that they are super stars and are a cinch to make the NBA, when they are not. This guy is a good college player, but it takes more than that to make an NBA. For his own good I hope he returns to the Gaels.
    I think of this as a false dichotomy (NBA vs 4th year in college).

Think of Silas Melson, or Kyle Dranginis, or even NWG. Those guys aren't NBA players, but they are professional basketball players who are all in money making careers playing pro ball, and at BEST, of 15 years.

Even if Fitts has no hope of being an NBA player, and he might not even personally believe he'll end up there, it's clear that SMC will be much worse next year than this year, and by staying another year at SMC, Fitts will sacrifice a pretty high percentage of his potential earnings for the chance to play 2nd or 3rd in the WCC and realistically go to the NIT. Or head to Europe and make money right away. I'm actually surprised that more D1 players who aren't NBA level play all 4 years. Those who do are likely on either really good teams with deep tourney runs each year (GU) or people who highly value earning a college degree, and perhaps don't have such strong desire for even a short pro career.

So I expect his options really are:

Make money overseas (with an OUTSIDE) shot at a g-league deal)

VS

Return to SMC for a "down year" and graduate, but having given up ~10% iof your likely pro career in terms of years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Fitts will be 23 by the draft. (he did an extra year of HS plus RS with SMC) Coming back for a year isn't going to improve his (already low) NBA prospects & he'll be leaving SMC with a degree.

I totally get him going pro, even if it's likely Europe. Opportunity cost matters, *especially* when you aren't an NBA guy. You can only get ~10 seasons to make money, if you're fortunate.

PG - Tommy Kuhse, 6'2
    G - Alex Ducas, 6'6
    F - Malik Fitts, 6'7

---

Agree to disagree. IMHO, that roster without Fitts, is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Fitts will be 23 by the draft. (he did an extra year of HS plus RS with SMC) Coming back for a year isn't going to improve his (already low) NBA prospects & he'll be leaving SMC with a degree.

I totally get him going pro, even if it's likely Europe. Opportunity cost matters, *especially* when you aren't an NBA guy. You can only get ~10 seasons to make money, if you're fortunate.
    Plus as a redshirt junior there is a good chance he will have already graduated before next season. Not much reason to stick around for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Plus as a redshirt junior there is a good chance he will have already graduated before next season. Not much reason to stick around for another year.
    Sticking around to get pumped by the Zags 2 or 3 more times doesn't sound fun to you?

Is there any reason to believe he’ll stay in the draft? Is he projected to be drafted?

PG - Tommy Kuhse, 6'2
    G - Alex Ducas, 6'6
    F - Malik Fitts, 6'7

---

That looks like a pretty average WCC lineup to me. Coach Bennett will get them to play well together. They might contend for second place in the WCC in a year when BYU is also likely to be down.

For Fitts-- if you read the "Good-By" message to Gael nation - he doesn't sound like he is coming back -- it sounds like he is going somewhere to get paid -- NBA-- or international.

He already signed with his agent and has said publicly he plans on staying in the draft.

https://247sports.com/Article/Malik-...ent-145420057/

With that being said --- St Marys returns 34% of their scoring and 50% of their rebounding (top returning scorer averaged 6.6 pts per game)-- not sure how much they have coming in -- but they will be down most likely -- -with St Marys fans stating their will probably finish 5th in league unless Randy can pull a rabbit from somewhere (not too far of a drop from 3rd -- but depending on how far the league drops -- may be able to slide up a spot or so also).

They really need a true center -- once Tass is out -- their next big man comes in at 6'7"-6'8" (220 lbs).

That is if Tass comes back ready to play --not sure what his injury is --but here is a comment from a Gael -- "On a per game average, SMC will lose it's top 4 scorers (I am acknowledging that Tass will remain on injury rehab for the entire season) for 72% of the total"

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post

I'm surprised more D-1 players with professional (non NBA) expectations actually bother to stick around for 3 or 4 years, especially on teams not winning their divisions or games in the tournament.

It may not look super good for SMC right now but the players to be added will make a difference. Bennett always will figure out a way to becompetetive

Verbal Commits
    @VerbalCommits
    ·
    2h
    Saint Mary's C Jock Perry (RS JR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer w/one year to play. https://verbalcommits.com/players/jock-perry

7 mins a game and 3 pts 2 board

Now St Marys has no legit center on the roster.
    "Per a source close to the recruitment, [Matthew] Van Komen [from Utah] is currently focusing [his transfer this summer] on BYU, St. Mary’s, San Diego State and Santa Clara."

https://247sports.com/college/basket...fer-145461090/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

BYU is continuing to work on upgrading it's scheduling:

"When the college basketball season returns in November and assuming traveling out of the country will not be a problem, the Boston College men’s basketball team will take part in a four-team event in the Bahamas. The event is called the Junkanoo Jam and it will take place on Friday, November 19 and run through the 22nd. The other three teams that will join BC in this tournament are the BYU Cougars, George Mason Patriots, and Tulsa Golden Hurricanes."

https://ngscsports.com/2020/03/28/bo...-in-2020-2021/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default I'm a fan.....

Malik Fitts was an excellent player and I was always a fan. Between him and Jordan Ford they made St. Marys a threat against any team they played. I was looking forward to see how they would perform in the NCAA tournament. I thought they would be a tough out against just about anybody.

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    2m
    San Francisco’s leading scorer, Charles Minlend, is in the portal, source told
    @Stadium
    . 6-4 junior guard averaged 14.4 points and 4.7 boards this past season. Will be a grad transfer.

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    3m
    USF will still have a quality perimeter trio with Jamaree Bouyea, Khalil Shabazz and Grand Canyon transfer Damari Milstead.

PG - Tommy Kuhse, 6'2
    G - Alex Ducas, 6'6
    F - Malik Fitts, 6'7

---

In the posts right before yours, I saw that Malik is declaring to go Pro in the Fall.