Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 2020-21

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    I wished I was that ripped.

Just don't understand the need to sit around and praise everything SMC. If I was talking about Utah State, no one would care.....
    I've never gotten that vibe from the 12+ years I've been on this board. There's no other team in the WCC that has competed with the Zags over the past 20 years, with the possible exception of BYU...and my antipathy towards BYU goes back over 40-plus years.

There's also a few Gaels, like Nevada Don, who appear regularly to discuss hoops here.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I've never gotten that vibe from the 12+ years I've been on this board. There's no other team in the WCC that has competed with the Zags over the past 20 years, with the possible exception of BYU...and my antipathy towards BYU goes back over 40-plus years.

There's also a few Gaels, like Nevada Don, who appear regularly to discuss hoops here.
    Pepperdine and SCU used to give the Zags all they could handle at the turn of the century....

Go!! Zags!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post
    Oh yes, those 6’6 point guards who shoot 40% from 3 and 95% (44-46) from the FT line are a dime a dozen in HS basketball.

As far as coaching goes, I would just say consider the origin stories of Few and Bennett and their surrounding circumstances.

If you gave RB the reigns of a stable NIT caliber Fitzgerald cultivated program, returning the core of a Monson inspired elite 8 team, in a sports starved town ready to jump on the band wagon, could he coach well enough to keep the momentum going and create a mid major transcending monster? No doubt, albeit he might not have taken it to the current elite level. But making the big dance every year in the WCC and scoring some upsets in the tournament? Virtually certain.

On the flip side, if you gave Few the reigns to the undisputed worst team in college basketball (0-25 the previous season v D1 competition), with no tradition, in a sports saturated environment where consistent Top 25 rankings and NCCA appearances will not even even garner passing non alumni interest or support, could he create the program SMC currently has? Maybe, but I’m not so sure.

No disrespect to Few, but there’s a big difference in the early days from maintaining momentum and poaching Pacific Northwest talent by virtue of being the hot local team and creating a program from absolute scratch by creating an Aussie pipeline, finding unheralded local recruits like Diamond Simpson & Paul Marigney, etc. I’m not sure you can just look at NCAA wins and determine who is a better coach between the lines. It’s like comparing a self-made entrepreneur who came from nothing to the trust fund kid who has made smart investments and ended up richer than his already wealthy father.

Oh and Goshzagit, be sure to ask your elders who Monson and Fitzgerald are...throw in Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp too. I saw all of them in McKeon back in the day. Hard not to root for that era’s Gonzaga teams.
    What an uninformed take (my opinion). The bolded part of your post is what I'm referring to.

Mark Few got to Gonzaga in 1989 (not 2000). He was a huge part of Fitz's program, and was the x's and o's guy while Associate Head Coach under Monse. He didn't just drop in and take over a program. He played a HUGE role in building the program ... absolutely HUGE.

And ... I clearly recall SMC before Randy got there. He, too has done an incredible job ... and I give him credit. Far more credit than you're giving Few.
    Last edited by GoZags; 04-28-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Changed the word “idiotic” to “uninformed”

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    What an idiotic take (my opinion). The bolded part of your post is what I'm referring to.

Mark Few got to Gonzaga in 1989 (not 2000). He was a huge part of Fitz's program, and was the x's and o's guy while Associate Head Coach under Monse. He didn't just drop in and take over a program. He played a HUGE role in building the program ... absolutely HUGE.

And ... I clearly recall SMC before Randy got there. He, too has done an incredible job ... and I give him credit. Far more credit than you're giving Few.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    What an idiotic take (my opinion). The bolded part of your post is what I'm referring to.

Pretty good post GZ Brings a new dimension to the argument/discussion. I look at the program now and compare it to the older teams, it’s shocking how far fitz then Dan and Few have generates a superior program. Most improbable ruse I’ve ever seen and I’ve been watching for a long time..., from a guy who used to shag balls for Frank Burgess. As most of the rags say, nobody has and nobody can repeat what Gonzaga done’s. We’ve been privileged to watch it..

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    1h
    2021 Maui Invitational field announced: Butler, Chaminade, Houston, Notre Dame, Oregon, Saint Mary’s, Texas A&M and Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    1h
    2021 Maui Invitational field announced: Butler, Chaminade, Houston, Notre Dame, Oregon, Saint Mary’s, Texas A&M and Wisconsin.
    sweet

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    1h
    San Diego State and BYU will begin a home-and-home series next season at Viejas Arena, per release. Return game in Provo in 21-22.

Gonzaga will host CSU Bakersfield on November 22nd, per public records obtained by @TheD1Docket

https://twitter.com/thed1docket/stat...616693248?s=21

No idea if us playing the North Florida was already mentioned in this thread
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Gonzaga will host CSU Bakersfield on November 22nd, per public records obtained by @TheD1Docket

https://twitter.com/thed1docket/stat...616693248?s=21

No idea if us playing the North Florida was already mentioned in this thread
    CSB - 283 NET last year
    North Florida - 175 NET last year.

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    It looks like BYU could be a significant force next year... [O]ne key piece was just added this month, Gideon George. At 6-6 with a 7-1 wing span, great muscle development, aggressive offensive rebounder, shot blocker, tireless work ethic and high level character, they have a player that will be a key glue guy and outperform expectations. Mark Pope says that George can guard 1-5 (take a few looks at his physique) and play 3-4 on offense. He really has an incredible story that demonstrates how unselfish he is. To give you an idea of his work ethic, he went from shooting less than 10% on 3 pt shots his freshman year in JC to 35% his second year.
    Great article about Gideon from Deseret News: https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...-chris-burgess
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Pre season #37 MID MAJOR..... again, SMC is going to be bad next year.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/05/...ngs-2020-21/4/

I would never say ST Mary’s is going to be bad. Bennett took a baseball player in McConnell and turned him in a player of the year, landale and Samhan were developed over their time. Look what he did this year when his footer tears his acl. He plays small ball with a 6’7 center and damn near sweeps a senior laden top 15 BYU team. The thing I learned with Bennett and smc, is to never rule them out..

No way SMC will be the 37th best mid-major. They might be as bad as they've been since the beginning of the Bennett area, but I bet in the end they'll still be a top 20 mid-major.

Has there been any update on playing USC in Portland? It's been crickets since Dom Harris mentioned it in an interview a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    I would never say ST Mary’s is going to be bad. Bennett took a baseball player in McConnell and turned him in a player of the year, landale and Samhan were developed over their time. Look what he did this year when his footer tears his acl. He plays small ball with a 6’7 center and damn near sweeps a senior laden top 15 BYU team. The thing I learned with Bennett and smc, is to never rule them out..
    Agreed.

St Marys MBB | Schroeder Named Top-50 Mid-Major Assistants

https://smcgaels.com/news/2020/5/8/m...ssistants.aspx

I don't think there's any skin left on that dead horse you're flogging.

Based on this ranking, from a reputable source, I'd say there's plenty....

IIRC, there was plenty of angst here before last season started, what with the departures of 80% of our scoring and 9 new players on the roster. Bennett seems to find a way every year to mold his players into very competitive teams.

Based on this ranking, from a reputable source, I'd say there's plenty....

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    25m
    Source: Arizona will host Loyola Marymount as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Ok that is gross.

Evan Daniels
    @EvanDaniels
    ·
    3h
    2021 guard David Elliott just verbally committed to Stan Johnson and LMU, a source tells
    @247Sports
    . Elliott is a high level scorer. Third local commitment in three days for Loyola Marymount.

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2020/...hool-vancouver

BYU added Tanner Toolson from Vancouver, WA. Will take mission and start playing in 2022. Late bloomer started high school at 5'6", finished at 6'5". Might be 6'11" after the mission at that rate. Had Utah, Utah St, Boise St in final 4.