• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Scorebook Live's all decade WA high school girls team

In the first five left off category are three former Zags, Loera, Stockton and Smith.

Link here: https://scorebooklive.com/washington...sketball-team/
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

Thanks for posting Section 116.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2014

Cool, interesting read.

Most of those players left the state for college. Stanford and Oregon St. really skimmed off the top, taking 4 of the 5 first teamers.

Gonzaga got a handful of them. Presley is the only one I'm aware of that went to WSU. UW got a few, but the 2 most notable, Collier and Strother, really didn't develop much.

Comment

• sylean
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2010

looks like they picked the popular ones...ones who went on to or going to big schools.....its like the ratings in college football....the ones picking the big schools always seem to inch up in number of stars....

Jill T could start for most college womens bb teams IMO...

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by sylean View Post
          looks like they picked the popular ones...ones who went on to or going to big schools.....its like the ratings in college football....the ones picking the big schools always seem to inch up in number of stars....

Jill T could start for most college womens bb teams IMO...
          That has literally nothing to do with what the article is about. It's based on their high school careers. Several of them haven't even started college yet. It's not a diss about any Gonzaga player during their GU career.

Comment

• ZagDad84
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2014

Keep in mind that this list details their high school careers not their college careers.

It is all about the statistics. If you played on a great "team" it is hard to amass some of the ungodly statistics that the players on this list accumulated. Sort of like the JB years at Gonzaga. There was Barta and the 4 others as far as the statistics went. Similarly, perhaps the best HS team ever in the State of Washington, the National (mythical) HS champs Central Valley only got Lexi Hull on the list. No other CV team member was even considered.

Edit.... Because somebody can't be bothered with reading the headline. My Bad.

From the Lady Zag standpoint, they did get JL, Laura Stockton and Chandler Smith on the first five left off as well as JT and Jazzy Redmond on the others considered, so all in all, not too bad.

The bigger concern is the number of soon-to-be graduates in the listed Top-13 (starters and bench) who are not considering Gonzaga.

- HAILEY VAN LITH - G Cashmere (2017-20) - 5-Star recruit signed with Louisville
            - DALAYAH DANIELS - F Garfield (2017-20) - 5-Star recruit signed with Cal.
            - JORDYN JENKINS - F Kentridge (2017-20) - 5-Star recruit signed with USC.
            - TALIA VON OELHOFFEN - G Chiawana/Tri-Cities Prep (2018-21) - Chasing Hailey Van Lith state scoring record. Unsigned but listed final 5 schools of Oklahoma, Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford & UConn.

When you look at these four (4) highly recruited players three (3) did not stay in the NW and only Von Oelhoffen is even considering staying in Oregon with 1 of her remaining 5 teams. I can understand Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford, UConn & Louisville, but Oklahoma and Cal were horrible this year and USC was 7th in the Pac-12 with an overall record of 17-14. To not even be listed in the final five (5) teams by these talented young ladies is concerning. Maybe GU recruited these ladies and maybe not. Maybe they were not "Zag" material, but boy it would be nice to at least have these players list Gonzaga on their final 5 list of teams.

I love this Lady Zag team members and everything they have accomplished. CLF has a history (although relatively short) of getting the most out of and developing her players. For Gonzaga to move up to the next level and routinely be a Top-15 team, year after year, we need to, at least, be in consideration for these type of quality players.

ZagDad
            Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-26-2020, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

ZagDad--it's the all decade team, thus what looks like recency bias.

edit--also Von Oelfhoffen has a very good chance of catching Van Lith, but she may end up #2 on the state's all time scoring list. Julianna Walker from Annie Wright in Tacoma should easily pass Van Lith's record next season.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                ZagDad--it's the all decade team, thus what looks like recency bias.
                What, you want me to read the headline as well???

Thanks SeaCat,

ZagDad

Comment

• SkipZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2015

Love the great athletes coming out of high school...

That being said.... you never know how they will react to college.

We have seen at GU WBB the unheralded high school athlete excel in an invironment that teaches family. And yes, then comes the talking about the need and who will fit in with the program... may not be one of the best coming out of high school but one that has the potential. Can you say “Zee”

We have seen a number of great high school players that chose a college that had it all just to see that they weren’t happy... then moved on... GU has accepted a number of those players over the years. Why... I’m thinking FAMILY... and it isn’t just talk. Katie was a prime example... saying CLF was like a mother. Also understanding that they are STUDENT athletes and a program that supports that.

So... I like the talk on the high school athlete but almost like to talk more of thoughs that came into college not highly recruited and became one of the best.... CV

Go Zags!!

Comment

• Cavebear33
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2007

Had a chance to see Talia Von Oelhoffen play this year a few times. She's amazing, and aside from her offensive skills, really impressed me with her take no prisoners style of play. She's on the floor a lot going after loose balls, and her assists are something to see. I don't know if she does the shot put or javelin, but she can spot a teammate way down court and, one handed, launch the ball the length of the court right on the money. I saw her do that more than once. By the way, her mom is Tondi Redden, who led Kamiakin to a state title in 1985, and played for the Spokane Stars. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Cavebear33 View Post
                      Had a chance to see Talia Von Oelhoffen play this year a few times. She's amazing, and aside from her offensive skills, really impressed me with her take no prisoners style of play. She's on the floor a lot going after loose balls, and her assists are something to see. I don't know if she does the shot put or javelin, but she can spot a teammate way down court and, one handed, launch the ball the length of the court right on the money. I saw her do that more than once. By the way, her mom is Tondi Redden, who led Kamiakin to a state title in 1985, and played for the Spokane Stars. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.
                      Her Dad played in the NFL. She got blessed with good genes.

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                        What, you want me to read the headline as well???

Thanks SeaCat,

ZagDad
                        They played a bit fast and loose with the concept of a decade. Looks like almost a 15 year period. As long as you played some portion of your career between 2010-2020.

Comment

Working...
                        X