View Poll Results: Will a '20-'21 season occur as described?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 80-100% sure

36 41.38%
  • 60-80% sure

14 16.09%
  • 40-60% sure

20 22.99%
  • 20-40% sure

9 10.34%
  • 10-20% sure

8 9.20%
  • More cowbell

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How sure are you we'll have a 2020-2021 season ? (and COVID-19 Topics)

Default How sure are you we'll have a 2020-2021 season ? (and COVID-19 Topics)

How confident are you that there will be a 2020-2021 college basketball season featuring Gonzaga playing with no more than 2 total cancellations, and fans allowed to attend all, or all except 1 or 2 games?

Doesn't matter what you or I think. Doesn't have to be something to worry about. We'll know when the time comes. Until then, there are a million things to do. Number one on that list is to take care of yourself and your family. That includes spiritually as well.

I thought about this for a couple minutes. I like you Ltown. Your analytical perspective is a different take. But, I don't like this thread.

This thread, in my opinion is an invitation to start another food fight between posters with different opinions on how this virus will play out.

Not productive. Again, my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I thought about this for a couple minutes. I like you Ltown. Your analytical perspective is a different take. But, I don't like this thread.

This thread, in my opinion is an invitation to start another food fight between posters with different opinions on how this virus will play out.

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate your views as well.

I'm just curious to survey the crowd's expectations. If there were an option to simply have a poll and no associated thread of discussion linked to it at this point, that would be fine with me. I don't think it's possible to post a poll without creating a thread as well, but as I said, I'm simply curious to know how others are expecting the USA to be in 7-12 months.

I think this virus slows down by end of may. I think they will have it controlled completely by july if they make us all stay home. So i say their will be a season.
    Love the zags for life

There won't be a season. If there was a 0% chance option I would've voted for it. Health professionals are telling us that we're going to be dealing with this well into next year, and we won't have a working vaccine for probably 18 months. Even if we do get one sooner, health professionals and older people will receive it first, young athletes won't be anywhere near the top of that list.

We are woefully unprepared for this. We don't have South Korea's tests and we don't have China's government (which is terrible in most cases but strangely helps in a pandemic).

Settle in ladies and gents, it's going to be a long ride.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

This thread, in my opinion is an invitation to start another food fight between posters with different opinions on
    It’s woven into the thread Mark. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    There won't be a season. If there was a 0% chance option I would've voted for it. Health professionals are telling us that we're going to be dealing with this well into next year, and we won't have a working vaccine for probably 18 months. Even if we do get one sooner, health professionals and older people will receive it first, young athletes won't be anywhere near the top of that list.

We are woefully unprepared for this. We don't have South Korea's tests and we don't have China's government (which is terrible in most cases but strangely helps in a pandemic).

I'm much more optimistic. I grew up in a country that put Neal Armstrong (and others) on the moon over 50 years ago, and they did it with not much more computing power than a slide rule. Our medical community is now engaged in a war to bring the virus under control, and find a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'm much more optimistic. I grew up in a country that put Neal Armstrong (and others) on the moon over 50 years ago, and they did it with not much more computing power than a slide rule. Our medical community is now engaged in a war to bring the virus under control, and find a vaccine.
    Completely agree, there will be millions of dollars poured into this project...companies are losing money left and right (yes, I know people are dying but money makes the world go round...imo) and the administration has to fix this or we may not have an election in November...

If there isn't one, we have a lot more to worry about than any sports anywhere. If we keep worrying about the 3% then the 97% will have to deal with 5 or more years of global recession.

If there was a 0% chance option I would've voted for it. .
    +1.

every report out of china is distilled through political filters way more than in the West,
    even local regions do not often have the data on the whole nation, esp. capacity to independently
    check those sources and data.
    china APPEARS to have handled it pretty well, which is in line with all their press releases,
    if their actual numbers of afflicted and dead were more than they report I would not be surprised.
    For a few years in 2008 to 2010 I had 6 foreign students renting rooms in my house,
    it took the Arab students to tell the students from China about Tienamen Square, they had no idea of it.

Way more likely than not.
    I settled at 60-80. Closer to 80. Probably could have bumped it up to 80-100. (Obviously 100% is not an option)

This will make the rounds. Flattening the curve is the key. Life will go on.
    Stay safe and healthy Zag fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Completely agree, there will be Billions of dollars poured into this project...companies are losing money left and right (yes, I know people are dying but money makes the world go round...imo) and the administration has to fix this or we may not have an election in November...
    Fixed it for you.
    It's not funny.

that is ridiculous....100% chance not only a season but a GREAT season coming up.....

Quote Originally Posted by MEZAG View Post
    If there isn't one, we have a lot more to worry about than any sports anywhere. If we keep worrying about the 3% then the 97% will have to deal with 5 or more years of global recession.
    So... if 1/3rd of the country contracts the disease... for the economy... you’d be down with more than 3 million people dead? Because that is how the post comes across
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

80% of people that get it have no or mild symptoms and now we have old timey drugs that are working to rid people of the virus.....historically, flu has killed far far more people....stop the drama......take a deep breathe and enjoy the beautiful weather...we're not living in the 19th century.....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    80% of people that get it have no or mild symptoms and now we have old timey drugs that are working to rid people of the virus.....historically, flu has killed far far more people....stop the drama......take a deep breathe and enjoy the beautiful weather...we're not living in the 19th century.....
    And they are 100% contagious. you get that the mortality rate is 10x the flu, right? There is no cure and a vaccine is a year out. If this thing isn’t under control in about 30 days we are in for an ugly ugly summer and fall and winter. Playing this down is as dangerous as over reacting.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

I meant to frame the lowest level of expectation as 0-20% expecting a normal full college B-ball season, not 10-20% sure. Sorry about that. So far the range of expectations among voters is broad.

Perhaps whichever moderator changed my poll and added a 6th joke option that I didn't write ("more cowbell") could delete that and either allow me to edit the lower option to 0-20% or edit it at that time, since they apparently have no issue adding or altering text written by someone else,
    Last edited by LTownZag; 03-19-2020 at 11:36 PM.

not sure about next season. I hope so....

Hearing static Inslee is going to order “shelter in place” tomorrow? Not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandzag View Post
    not sure about next season. I hope so....

Hearing static Inslee is going to order “shelter in place” tomorrow? Not certain.
    entire state of California as of tonight

Just some food for thought.....social distancing has proven over time to be effective at getting us back to healthy with or without vaccines. To my knowledge, vaccines have not been tested without including social distancing. Perhaps some of the physicians on this board could verify or disprove this (I'm not trying to start a panic after all). And I'm not trying to take an anti- vaccine stance, but I do believe that social distancing IS our best bet.
    In general, I guess that my point is that vaccines tend to get all the credit these days, whereas it seems as though social distancing is the safer way to go.

Hermits

...practicing social distancing since 253 AD.

Ahhh.....the wisdom of the Church!!!

As of now the mortality hovers at 1-1.5 percent. We’ll have a season. Media is making people nuts. Worse, the politicians are being led by their noses.