Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you doing? (and Netflix etc recommendations)

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    In a pickle of a situation. We want to get back to Spokane from Arizona so we can hole up at our lake cabin and spend days fishing and swimming. Fly or drive? Either way has risk of exposure. What would you do? Driving would require several hotels and eating from take out or delivery, then there are beds we have no idea whether they are safe even with our own pillows. Flying is only half the risk, the airports have lots of opportunity for exposure and PHX is a big busy airport. 14 TSA personnel have tested positive already last I read a few days ago. We have a car in AZ we normally leave there but could drive. Any insights would be welcome...
    Thanks Born.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    1,300 miles, 20 hours on Google maps.....two nights sleeping......safest place these days is inside a car.....food, just pack up at home base in Phx......if nec, supermarkets have plenty of prepared meals and pizza places seem safe...delightful landscapes on the way....right through Kennewick....
    As Jazz points out, 1300 miles...but it should only be 1 night of sleeping, if you can do 650 miles per day.

When I was young, that was no problem. It is harder now, but I just read on ABC news that LEO are not pulling over for speeding etc., as long as it isn't stupid crazy, I would assume. Italics are my own thoughts.

I am glad to hear that everyone seems to be weathering the storm. We are getting by, but it feels like 'just' getting by.

We are of the older and sicker demographic, me being 71 and my wife 60 in immune compromised. We are also, despite having a small jewelry store, on the 'poor' end of the spectrum, and have no savings. The good side is that we have no mortgage either.
    So far, we have been open for business at the store, keeping a distance and cleaning with bleach or alcohol after every customer leaves. Not the best situation, but it is life as I know it. If Congress comes up with some help, we will have enough to stay home for 4-8 weeks.

Regardless, it is a serious situation and one that is changing everything about everything. We were considering closing the store and moving to the lower Appalachia region, selling the house here, but obviously, now is NOT the time to do that. All plans for the future are on hold as we all see what the future holds for us. Good luck to all!

WE don't have Netflix, but do have Dish with a DVR. We have saved ALL the Dr Who, from season one up to the current season, and almost all the Star Treks. Right now Dish is giving free Showtime to help people staying at home.

Here in the North Bay we're also at shelter in place, which means my wife gets the challenge of 5 boys 12 and under at home, with three of them school age, one of whom has moved online, and the other two she's basically taken over homeschooling. Working in distance education as I do, I'm "essential business" which means I can go into my office, about half of which are working remotely. I can't really pull that off with the aforementioned 5 boys in an under 1300 square foot house, so the office it is. We've been busier than ever, and I also spent the beginning of last week helping move grades 5-12 in my sons' school online. Thankfully we've got Disney+, so I've been getting caught up on Clone Wars, now up to season 5.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    As Jazz points out, 1300 miles...but it should only be 1 night of sleeping, if you can do 650 miles per day.

When I was young, that was no problem. It is harder now, but I just read on ABC news that LEO are not pulling over for speeding etc., as long as it isn't stupid crazy, I would assume. Italics are my own thoughts.
    Back in my younger (and more stupid) days, I once drove 17.5 hours straight solo. Can't recommend it.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Appreciate all the leads on streaming - some I have seen but others not so will be checking.

Definitely the older demographic here but thankfully little other problems.

We got out some old jigsaw puzzles and do them together - rather therapeutic, however current one is a real killer!

Thanks for the great input on travel. Jazz gets it about Sky Harbor, it's nuts. As it stands right now, I'm only half of the vote on this equation. Interestingly my wife who is an RN says fly and I say drive. She is not on board with sleeping in the car nor long hours of driving so that's an issue. If it were me this is a no-brainer, I would drive and sleep in the car eating sandwiches and energy bars with a lot of water. This threat is not to be taken lightly for sure. How can you sleep in hotels and feel comfortable with that? Even our driver that takes people to the airport from our retirement community says "Don't Fly", but will take us if we want. Thanks again good friends, the input is useful.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Thank you all for posting and letting us know how you are. You have touched me deeply, and I will be praying for you all. I have become a prayer warrior lately. Praying for others is something I like to do, and feel that I'm good at it. ha ha. When I was young, I was a confident shooter on the court. Loved shooting free throws as I felt it was one or two free points. ha ha. I feel the same today about praying. I am so grateful for my Catholic upbringing as it has given me a real good foundation on how to get through "troubled waters." I've been laid off (teacher) so I have a lot of time to pray.

I hope people continue to use this thread to keep us informed. I feel it's important to fight this virus together. Yes! We may be forced to stay home, and be somewhat isolated from those we love, but we can continue to find ways to stay connected, and this is one group of people I want to stay connected to. We've been a very strong and powerful team (yes we fans are part of the team. just ask them) and can continue to be that through this time of crisis. We will get through this together, and life will one day return to some sort of normalcy.

I'm happy to hear you are all Okay. I know it's a pretty big challenge, but I can tell you are dealing with it as responsible people. I'm proud of you all. Regarding the travel, I agree with those who suggest driving. It does seem to be the safest way. Washing your hands all the time you go outside your car will be the key. Use soap and wash for up to 30 second. The virus HATES SOAP. You could buy some cheap gloves and throw them away after using them once you leave the motel, or restaurant.

The thing I miss the most is hugging those I love. I am a real hugger, and I have always believed that the feeling of touch is one of the healthiest things we can do. And that has been taken away from us. I have not had a hug for two weeks, and it something that I don't like. If you feel moved send me a good virtual hug. Or send me a virtual "high five." ANYTHING. HAHAA I continue to do well, and feel better each day. I have appreciated this time to be with Our Lord more and build an even stronger relationship with him.

Keep writing....God be with you all and your families. Angelo a special "shout out" to you. I haven't seen you here at this forum for a long time. Thanks for your story. I can picture where you are very well. God has blessed you for sure, and you deserve it. Keep us informed.

Reborn
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Thanks for the great input on travel. Jazz gets it about Sky Harbor, it's nuts. As it stands right now, I'm only half of the vote on this equation. Interestingly my wife who is an RN says fly and I say drive. She is not on board with sleeping in the car nor long hours of driving so that's an issue. If it were me this is a no-brainer, I would drive and sleep in the car eating sandwiches and energy bars with a lot of water. This threat is not to be taken lightly for sure. How can you sleep in hotels and feel comfortable with that? Even our driver that takes people to the airport from our retirement community says "Don't Fly", but will take us if we want. Thanks again good friends, the input is useful.
    If you drive you're at the mercy of every roadside Travel Center for peeing, pooping and eating. I don't know about the rest of you but "clean rest rooms" was mostly a false claim before all this started.

I also heard early on (but don't know the veracity) that airplane air systems are surprisingly effective, it's the cabin surfaces that are suspect.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    If you drive you're at the mercy of every roadside Travel Center for peeing, pooping and eating. I don't know about the rest of you but "clean rest rooms" was mostly a false claim before all this started.

I also heard early on (but don't know the veracity) that airplane air systems are surprisingly effective, it's the cabin surfaces that are suspect.
    As someone who travels every week from my naturally isolated (nearest neighbor mile away and only 4 neighbors within 15 miles of me) residence to Tacoma I can attest to your view of lack of cleanliness in reststops
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Dittos here from North Texas. Dallas County residents have just been ordered to "shelter in place" starting tomorrow. I'm taking vacation next week (and likely the week after) as I have 3 strikes against me...ok, two and a foul tip...I'm over 65, a diabetic, and have Type A blood. I'm actually operating under orders from a higher authority, my wife. She's really taking this thing seriously.

It hasn't helped that UPS management has completely failed their employees. What their PR department is telling the world is not happening across UPS hubs throughout North America. A message from the current CEO now has over 200 responses with mostly the same message: you're full of it!

At my hub, there have been no sightings of hand sanitizer, greater emphasis on cleaning the worksite, etc. As last week progressed, there was no progress, prompting me to put in for vacation. If I need a doctor's note, I'll call his office tomorrow, and he can email me one.

Big D learned the meaning of another phrase this afternoon, that of "sailing in unchartered waters." My son will commence his online education experience tomorrow, truly a new wrinkle as he attempts to make it to graduation.

Sorry for straying from the topic. BTW, my diabetes has been under control for about 5 years, and my blood pressure is just about perfect. My immune system should be pretty strong right now, as I've been over the flu for at least six weeks.

Prayers out there for all of you, hopefully this situation will abate within weeks, not months.
    I have no direct experience with UPS, but the endless stream of self-promoting emails about what these retail establishments are doing to "protect" us, needs to end. This idea that they are protecting us by shortening their hours of operation is BS. I believe that their primary motivation is simply to cut store hours to reduce payroll. But for older people (like myself) and those with preexisting conditions (also probably me, but since I don't have a GP or make it a practice to go to the doctor...), it creates problems.

Shorter hours mean shorter windows in which to do our essentials shopping, which puts us in larger crowds. Same can be said for "special" hours for at-risk groups; again, encouraging large groups to rush the store during that precious hour in the morning, when older shoppers hope to find products sold out over the days prior. Here's my cynical side: maybe it's all part of a grand plan to cull the ranks of the aged and sick, to take pressure off of "entitlements". I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it's exasperating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    As someone who travels every week from my naturally isolated (nearest neighbor mile away and only 4 neighbors within 15 miles of me) residence to Tacoma I can attest to your view of lack of cleanliness in reststops
    Cleanest and happiest rest stop for me was at the top of Snoqualmie Pass, early morning on Dec 23 1966, trucking from Yakima Firing Ctr to Ft Lewis for active duty discharge. Foot of snow, best bacon & eggs ever had, windows frosted, wind blowing. Maybe it was the old Snoqualmie Inn, forgot that part. I was half way to getting sent home Xmas eve out of Sea-Tac. Slept that night in huge tent at Lewis, discharge cash under pillow. In 12 hours landed JFK. The rest is (my) history.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Tough call. From what I am hearing... most flights are borderline empty. But, that being said, I don't know if I'd want to be in an enclosed space with recirculated air with strangers for 2-3 hours. I am kinda with Jazz... I'd probably drive.
    Most planes are equipped with HEPA filtration, so recirculated air is not likely an issue. However, all you need is one selfish infected p_ick with mild to no symptoms to decide that they feel well enough to fly, then it's "off to the races."

Are u non stop to Spo? If not, split the difference w wife and consider driving to Salt Lake City and grab a shorter non stop. That’s 10 hours drive about. A much more humane airport.

We shut down our Seattle office early--this is our third week where we are all working from home. I have as a result upgraded my home network significantly and upped my comcast data plan. I now know everything about Ubiquity Unify products and I can stream to two or three TVs and keep my laptop Skype / Microsoft Teams video calls going without issue. One nice silver lining about all this: make lemons into lemonade. Get to those lingering home improvement projects that you never have time for and suddenly: now is never.

Boys out of school and not being as respectful at home as their teachers reported they were at their desks in the classroom. Learning to home school not easy. My boys would prefer nerf gun wars and riding bikes to math and spelling. Can't say I blame them.

As for streaming --for less serious but still entertaining fare I'd recommend Red Oaks on Amazon to those who haven't already seen all three seasons. It's a shame they canceled it a few years ago. Sort of a cross between the old "Wonder Years" tv show and the "American Pie" movies (sans Stiffler's mom).

Cleanest and happiest rest stop for me was at the top of Snoqualmie Pass, early morning on Dec 23 1966, trucking from Yakima Firing Ctr to Ft Lewis for active duty discharge. Foot of snow, best bacon & eggs ever had, windows frosted, wind blowing. Maybe it was the old Snoqualmie Inn, forgot that part. I was half way to getting sent home Xmas eve out of Sea-Tac. Slept that night in huge tent at Lewis, discharge cash under pillow. In 12 hours landed JFK. The rest is (my) history.
    Still is best place to stop for cleanliness and food along the I 90 corridor
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Still is best place to stop for cleanliness and food along the I 90 corridor
    That’s so awesome to hear. Revisited 20 years ago on a bike ride across state of Washington and the rest of the country. Stopped day one, out of Seattle; then on to Easton for night. It was June 15; it snowed, and I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Thank you all for posting and letting us know how you are. You have touched me deeply, and I will be praying for you all. I have become a prayer warrior lately. Praying for others is something I like to do, and feel that I'm good at it. ha ha. When I was young, I was a confident shooter on the court. Loved shooting free throws as I felt it was one or two free points. ha ha. I feel the same today about praying. I am so grateful for my Catholic upbringing as it has given me a real good foundation on how to get through "troubled waters." I've been laid off (teacher) so I have a lot of time to pray.

I hope people continue to use this thread to keep us informed. I feel it's important to fight this virus together. Yes! We may be forced to stay home, and be somewhat isolated from those we love, but we can continue to find ways to stay connected, and this is one group of people I want to stay connected to. We've been a very strong and powerful team (yes we fans are part of the team. just ask them) and can continue to be that through this time of crisis. We will get through this together, and life will one day return to some sort of normalcy.

I'm happy to hear you are all Okay. I know it's a pretty big challenge, but I can tell you are dealing with it as responsible people. I'm proud of you all. Regarding the travel, I agree with those who suggest driving. It does seem to be the safest way. Washing your hands all the time you go outside your car will be the key. Use soap and wash for up to 30 second. The virus HATES SOAP. You could buy some cheap gloves and throw them away after using them once you leave the motel, or restaurant.

The thing I miss the most is hugging those I love. I am a real hugger, and I have always believed that the feeling of touch is one of the healthiest things we can do. And that has been taken away from us. I have not had a hug for two weeks, and it something that I don't like. If you feel moved send me a good virtual hug. Or send me a virtual "high five." ANYTHING. HAHAA I continue to do well, and feel better each day. I have appreciated this time to be with Our Lord more and build an even stronger relationship with him.

Keep writing....God be with you all and your families. Angelo a special "shout out" to you. I haven't seen you here at this forum for a long time. Thanks for your story. I can picture where you are very well. God has blessed you for sure, and you deserve it. Keep us informed.

Reborn
    Thanks Reborn, you are a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Thanks Reborn, you are a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's Rebar!!!!!!

Rebar (short for reinforcing bar), known when massed as reinforcing steel or reinforcement steel, is a steel bar or mesh of steel wires used as a tension device in reinforced concrete and reinforced masonry structures to strengthen and aid the concrete under tension.

Try Ozarks on Netflix and Westworld on HBO. Better Call Saul is a good one also.

My wife and I both work from home anyway, so no major adjustment on that front. We do have 3 boys though, 14,13 and 10 and having them home from school is the major adjustment. We’re figuring it out.

If there is such a thing as an upside to this whole pandemic things it could be that I just played Football in the park with my two youngest sons for three hours.

Thanks for the thread Reborn. God Bless!

Governor Jay Inslee
    @GovInslee
    ·
    5m
    To protect Washingtonians from COVID-19, I am issuing a ‘Stay Home, Stay Healthy’ order.

Here is what it means for you and your family. Downwards arrow

https://www.king5.com/article/news/i...a-48da5db3f7bc

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Try Ozarks on Netflix and Westworld on HBO. Better Call Saul is a good one also.

My wife and I both work from home anyway, so no major adjustment on that front. We do have 3 boys though, 14,13 and 10 and having them home from school is the major adjustment. We’re figuring it out.

If there is such a thing as an upside to this whole pandemic things it could be that I just played Football in the park with my two youngest sons for three hours.

Thanks for the thread Reborn. God Bless!
    Ozark is really good.

I'm watching "Barry" on HBO right now - only recommended if you don't mind violence. Just finished Succession which was so-so. Schitt's Creek on Netflix is also a new one that we are watching and is very funny.

Also, The Wire deserves it's reputation as one of the best shows ever written, right up there with Breaking Bad.

Reborn, THANK YOU for initiating this thread!!!

The wife and I (70) live in a senior retirement community (Sun City Hilton Head, SC) with 15k others. It was great until one resident caught the virus, word spread and the South Carolina Governor directed groups to be no more than "THREE people." All the community services were closed immediately. There are still many that continue to socialize in 10-15 people groups. My wife is a social worker and works at Paris Island and they told her to go home and she is working out of the house...pretty difficult to see service members and their families now so not much to do.

We have three golf courses and they remain open; however, they have removed/closed: all rakes from traps, range balls, chipping green balls, closed bathrooms, and flag sticks that don't require lifting and most importantly socializing is Not Allowed!!!

We are currently virus free and staying on our property and not socializing except on the phone. We are fortunate to have purchased everything we needed in early February but consumables are the question...grocery stores have "senior hours" (6am-8am).

Willandi I truly feel for you and if you need assistance down the road PM me and maybe I can assist...I hope the President gets on top of this and takes care of the unemployed and small businesses!

This is a very serious situation and it would be nice if the politicians STOPPED being politicians and listen to the medical experts...

Best of luck to all - keep safe...PLEASE!!!

Go Zags!!!

I'd drive straight through...just break up the driving between the two of you...8.5 hours each or there about...GOOD LUCK with your travel.
    Last edited by Bogozags; 03-24-2020 at 04:23 AM.

He's Rebar!!!!!!

Rebar (short for reinforcing bar), known when massed as reinforcing steel or reinforcement steel, is a steel bar or mesh of steel wires used as a tension device in reinforced concrete and reinforced masonry structures to strengthen and aid the concrete under tension.
    Jazz you never cease to amaze me with your great sense of humor and creative mind. hahahaha thanks for the laugh...Reborn the rebar man. Thanks for the many compliment you guys have sent to me. It's a pretty selfish thing I'm going in a way. I miss you guys, and worry about you. It's really nice to see some of you here the last two days, some I haven't seen for awhile. I remember when Former and I used to go at it like Ali and Frazier, and now were such good friends. I've changed a lot as Ive gotten old and suffered a little bit more with couple major surgeries and rehab. I'm glad I've lived long enough to change.

I love being a Zag and love team work and I know we're going to fight this thing together and whip it. With guys like Jazz to keep us laugh, and me to help us cry, and all the old timers here to keep us on the straight and narrow. Thanks to you all for participating.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Thank you Bogo. As was reported, we are being told to shelter at home. Businesses have 48 hours to comply, so I will tie up some loose ends.

I believe that I will be able to go to do some bench work, not opening the store, and can take payment online and mail out the repairs, for those that simply cannot wait.

I still am looking forward to checking out the area west of Ashville, hopefully later this year.

Life goes on. We are still healthy and in good cheer. Currently watching 'Down Periscope', a slapstick funny movie.

KREM has a story (and Skype Interview Footage) with Jordan Matthews and his story of what it was like to be in Italy as the Pandemic erupted there. Cremona has been hit especially hard.

Link is here: https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...8-7421c9f5de64
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-24-2020 at 07:34 AM.