How are you doing? (and Netflix etc recommendations)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Sorry Abe, I wish this was true, but my guess is your theory will look way off within 2 weeks.

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It’s the true data Scrooner. NYC is a bad pocket but outside of Seattle, in the west it’s been a nice early Spring.its. It’s not a theory. It’s the data.
      Last edited by MDABE80; 03-24-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• gu03alum
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
        I really appreciate your reporting to us. It is certainly a challenging time, and I'm happy to see you and your family are dealing with them creatively. I believe challenges are good for us, even though we never like them when they are happening. I guess it's the working through them with those we love that makes them good. Gonzaga grads are certainly creative, tough mentally as we have been so challenged intellectually while a student. That kind of training has lasted us a lifetime. I hope that roof is finished, and keep getting outside and get some exercise. AND WASH HANDS FREQUENTLY.
        GOD BLESS.
        Thanks Reborn!
        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
          gosh, Willand, this brings back memories for me during the practice air raids....while I was in my classroo, Same thing as you accept I did get under my desk. It was around 1960, 1959 or 58. Very scary time for me. I was sure the Russians were going to attack. I even had horrible dreams. AND now I see our president trying to be best friends with Russian leader.

I don't fear that kind of fear with this virus pandemic for some reason. I am older, wiser, and have a very deep faith I didn't have as a child. I really don't have any fear. I know we will all get through this. We just need to go through it, stay calm, pray a lot, and pray a lot, ha ha ha

Keep the faith, Willandi

Go Zags!!!
          I was the NBC Officer for my battery, an extra duty. About a month after attending school at Vilseck, I participated in my first Tac Eval in the Wing Command Post. While briefing the Wing Commander on the location of our weapons systems, the evaluation team dropped a nerve gas input. The Base's Disaster Preparedness Officer, a Captain, recommended going to Alarm Red, where everyone outside had to put on their protective gear.

You should have seen the look on the faces of 5 AF Colonels, when I, an Army 2nd LT, piped up, "Sir, may I make a recommendation?" Before the Wing Cdr could say no, I suggested the alert status be raised to Yellow for 3 reasons:

1. The location of the nerve agent attack was 60 miles SE, and the winds were westerly.
          2. The nerve agent identified was nonpersistent.
          3. It's raining like hell outside, neutralizing the agent before it hit the ground.

Wing Cdr took my recommendation, to the approval of the Chief of the Evaluation Team.

Later that day, the Wing Cdr stopped by my station and asked me, "how'd you know all that?" I said, "it's one of my extra duties, Colonel."

Good times remembered.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
            The eruption of Mt St Helens made for some interesting times for those of us who were affected. Things were pretty quiet in the Spokane and Eastern Washington area for several days. For a couple days there was almost no traffic of any kind and most everything was closed. Things returned to normal fairly quickly however, especially when compared to current events. Of course I was much younger in 1980 and I never had any issues finding cold beer. Pretty sure I had an ample supply of toilet paper as well! By he way Reborn, the wife and I are doing fine. But we sure miss our weekly lunches and BS sessions with Hondo, Cavebear and others!!!
            Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about it. The eruption occurred during my only leave back to the States during my 4 years in Germany. I had to get the leave extended for a few days, because flights were severely disrupted...I was at home in Roseburg with my folks.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

The eruption of Mt St Helens made for some interesting times for those of us who were affected. Things were pretty quiet in the Spokane and Eastern Washington area for several days. For a couple days there was almost no traffic of any kind and most everything was closed. Things returned to normal fairly quickly however, especially when compared to current events. Of course I was much younger in 1980 and I never had any issues finding cold beer. Pretty sure I had an ample supply of toilet paper as well! By he way Reborn, the wife and I are doing fine. But we sure miss our weekly lunches and BS sessions with Hondo, Cavebear and others!!!
              Glad to hear you're doing well. That was a pretty weird time. You could actually see and feel the ash cloud in Yakima. It got dark, totally dark like it was 9 o'clock pm. And the time was actually 11:am. Lucky I knew the mtn blew and could see the ash cloud coming. My two brothers and their families were up at the family cabin up on Chinook Pass and had no idea that the mtn blew. Their kids were outside playing, brothers in bed still (maYBE hung over haha) and suddenty it got dark and the kids started screaming. Woke my brothers up. They went outside to see what was going on. It turned completely dark and the lighting was red and blue and yellow. They were freaked out. They thought The End of the World was coming. They jumped in the cars and drove to Yakima. The ash rain was so think they could barely see out of the windows. They had to drive about 15 miles and hour. I'll never forget them telling that story.

This thing is so weird because we can't see it or feel it. I go outside and it looks normal. I feel good. I feel normal. And yet I'm supposed to be isolated as if there is a killer outside. Because I can't see it or feel it,it is just so weird, like Mick Mick says. I go out for my walk and it feels like a nice Spring Day. I feel the warmth of the sun on my face, and I see the cherry trees blooming. It's beautiful, and I want to feel so good, but I hesitate to allow myself to feel good because there's supposed to be an invisable killer near by. I don't see him, I don't hear him. But I believe the scientists and some doctors,,,but I don't hurry home as I walk. I let myself enjoy it as much as I can. I see a few people walking by on the street. Were on opposite sides of the street, but I say hi and they say back. I see a man working in his yard. He's home from work trying to do something constructive.

ALL of my sports have been cancelled. Now the Summer Olympics. What am I to do without sports. I'm a good American and hear how BAD it is in New York, California and Seattle. So many have died and so many more hospitalized. They say that if I stay home and keep my hands washed and stay away from people for the mos part, that it will help. It doesn't make sense (logic) but I know logic is not always the right way to look at things. So I will stay at home, and try to do my part as they tell me it will help. Helping others is my code.

I hear ya doc. I feel so much like you, but I conclude it's best for now to trust the scientists. I don't believe the News Media is behind this virus attack. It is not the Media who is killing hundreds of people and soon to be thousands. My hope of hope is that it stays away from me, and I stay away from it. I pray a lot.

Go Zags!!!

I hope all the Zags are doing well, all the coaches and all those who are a part of this Great Team. I hope Zag Nation is not suffering too much. I will continue to pray for us as a Nation, ZagNation and that we'll survive this trying time
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• SLOZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                It’s the true data Scrooner. NYC is a bad pocket but outside of Seattle, in the west it’s been a nice early Spring.its. It a theory. It’s the data.
                The West Coast is one of the very few parts of the country to ignore the WH and take self-quarantining seriously. Doc, make a note to check out the infection and hospitalization numbers in Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana two weeks from now. And then revisit your theories and data.
                Last edited by SLOZag; 03-25-2020, 12:59 PM.
                SLOZag
                "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Pockets will always exist SLO. Overall though. The mortality and morbidity data doesn’t look too bad. It’s the lightest epidemic is decades. The small suburb nursing home in Seattle was striking. Likewise, NYCs has a large dense population and the disease seems to be entrenched. We’ll see what happens s in a few weeks but I’m thinking those difficult areas will be the focus.

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I was working seismic, oil exploration, in central North Dakota. I had a weekend off (not sure of the days, weekends fell whenever with 28 on and 4 off). I was camping in the Turtle Mountains of that same North Dakota, and the pretty woman and I had broken camp, packed up and were driving down the mountain. We saw a wall of black, maybe 400' high and horizon to horizon. We had no idea. We had been busy NOT listening to the radio.
                    Came down and headed back to town to learn about Mt St Helens.

Amazing.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SLOZag View Post
                      The West Coast is one of the very few parts of the country to ignore the WH and take self-quarantining seriously. Coc, make a note to check out the infection and hospitalization numbers in Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana two weeks from now. And then revisit your theories and data.
                      New York has been testing 16,000 persons a day and their death rate is hovering around 1%. That meshes with the rest of the country, excluding Washington. Washington got a head start on the rest of the country and their rates are steady. I don’t expect the death rates to explode anywhere in the U.S. There are reasons why WA and Italy have had higher rates. Italy is experiencing a situation similar to here where the Lombardy region has been hit particularly hard and the next closest region has a third of the cases as Lombardy (30703 vs 9254). I think it is wise to attack this virus at local levels and not with sweeping mandates that may not be necessary for people outside of high risk areas. What is good for densely-populated NY city or Seattle may not be good for Billings, MT.

Comment

• roxdoc
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

+1000

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Good post JP .Good to also remember who died in Wash st. It was the over 75 yrs people with 2 or more other diseases on average. In nursing home already. I.e.the worst of the worst. Best wishes to all of you!
                          Last edited by MDABE80; 03-25-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                            Good post NP. Good to also remember who died in Wash st. It was the over 75 yrs people with 2 or more other diseases on average. In nursing home already. I.e.the worst of the worst. Best wishes to all of you!
                            Just an honest question as this keeps being brought up. So, if they had existing conditions (Note something like hypertension can be an existing condition) their lives become devalued?
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Comorbidities are useful in risk assessment and have nothing to do with a person’s intrinsic value. All of these draconian measures that limit the freedom of persons who are low risk for complications are to protect the most vulnerable persons, and show how much we do care about these persons.
                              Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 03-26-2020, 04:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                                Comorbidities are useful in risk assessment and have nothing to do a person’s intrinsic value. All of these draconian measures that limit the freedom of person’s who are low risk for complications are to protect the most vulnerable persons, and show how much we do care about these persons.
                                Understood. It was just an honest question, not here, but it has been stated, by actual lawmakers in some cases, that older people may need to sacrifice themselves for the economy... that shows a level of devaluation.
                                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                                X