Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How are you doing? (and Netflix etc recommendations)

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I have only seen one episode so far and good lord Joe Exotic is entertaining.
    He's a psycho, now in prison thankfully.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

my advisory service says netflicks will tank, never cover their debts.
    i hope they show "Searching for Sugar Man" gee, what a terrific film. if you see it, you will get more out of it by not reading anything about it, watching a trailor, or talking to anyone,
    a series of about 8 surprises, and any review will tip the reader off to some of the surprises,
    but Abe,
    isn't covid 19 more contagious than most flue's (sp?)?
    i mean its spreading in spite of huge efforts to stop it isn't it
    in china the only thing stopping it was total and extreme quarantine, while most flu's run their course through the population without any concerted actions ...

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    Since the deaths have been mostly concentrated in Lombardia, I can only wonder if the same chart for that region would have a different implication.
    Agree with that line of thought. Lombardy is similar to Washington St, in that it skews the data. I actually checked back in on the page and they’ve updated the chart, and the trend is now up... it will be something interesting to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Agree with that line of thought. Lombardy is similar to Washington St, in that it skews the data. I actually checked back in on the page and they’ve updated the chart, and the trend is now up... it will be something interesting to follow.
    A Champions League game two days before the first known community transmission is believed to be the biological bomb that exploded Bergamo. Not great news for those of us who want to see sports return:
    https://apnews.com/ae59cfc0641fc63afd09182bb832ebe2?
    Agent provocateur

By the way, Babylon Berlin is an excellent show on Netflix. Noir drama set in Berlin in the late 1920s. Recommended to anyone who isn't squimish about the portrayal of risque behavior.
    Agent provocateur

Thanks, everyone, for the conversation. I was hesitant to post in this thread due to memories of the OCC and I’ve enjoyed the varied opinions here.

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    A Champions League game two days before the first known community transmission is believed to be the biological bomb that exploded Bergamo. Not great news for those of us who want to see sports return:
    https://apnews.com/ae59cfc0641fc63afd09182bb832ebe2?
    Thanks for sharing. That is a missing link in the “why was Italy so bad?” chain. This would justify the canceling of sporting events here.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    TPM noticed that Corriere Della Sera did something on this:
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...ly-please-read
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Cleanest and happiest rest stop for me was at the top of Snoqualmie Pass, early morning on Dec 23 1966, trucking from Yakima Firing Ctr to Ft Lewis for active duty discharge. Foot of snow, best bacon & eggs ever had, windows frosted, wind blowing. Maybe it was the old Snoqualmie Inn, forgot that part. I was half way to getting sent home Xmas eve out of Sea-Tac. Slept that night in huge tent at Lewis, discharge cash under pillow. In 12 hours landed JFK. The rest is (my) history.
    I enjoyed the welcome center into Indiana ... believe it was Dale, IN... right off I64. That place was pretty damn cool
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I enjoyed the welcome center into Indiana ... believe it was Dale, IN... right off I64. That place was pretty damn cool
    We stopped at a really nice one in Texas, very clean with a wonderful display of regional history. It even had a play area outside for kids, complete with swing, slide and a sign warning parents about rattlesnakes.
    It's not funny.

I am really enjoying watch the Zag games that are posted on another thread. I watched all of the 1999 games and one of the 2000 team against St Johns. The 2000 team was essentially the same team as the 99. The 99 team made it to the Elite 8 and the 2000 team made it to the Sweet 16 then got beat by Purdue I believe. Looking forward to watching most of the game posted on that thread. It's really fun, and awesome to watch so many of the players I have loved on over the years. That Matt Santangelo was a great point guard.

How am I doing? Better each day. It's really been a learning experience for me because I am an extrovert, and I love doing things with my family and friends. It has helped to come here every day and see how people here are doing or what they think. I have found ways to help others because I need to do that. If I don't I'll go crazy I think.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

So... not here in the US... but my wife's uncle down in Ecuador passed from COVID-19 complications today.

Done posting here for awhile... too real for me to deal with the back and forths here.

For the record, he was 80, in very good shape, had money and access to doctors... but ignored social distancing warnings.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Sorry for your loss LIZ.

I really enjoyed this thread Reborn, but just read LIZF's post, and its realistic and somber tone, and felt compelled to post the below, a layman's terms piece, which uses data to predict the virus' course. Made sense to me, it's a different view than some expressed here, but anyway, here it is https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hell-...185019616.html

this one helped me understand a little better, too, from Popular Science https://www.popsci.com/story/health/...graphs-charts/

we're sheltering in place. kids are playing music and drilling, working on individual techniques and conditioning for soccer and basketball, learning how to e-commute which is an awesome lesson (I've done it for 20+ years), and we're actively grateful for the opportunity to be together to cook and eat, garden, fix up the little nagging things with our house (toilet, oven, pull up old carpeting, etc.)

We're watching Ken Burns' The Civil War, one episode a day, then will move on to The West. We also made a list of movies to watch together it's like 4 pages long in Word, will take a while. Watched Trading Places last night, got to explain (or try to!) what Louis and Billy Ray did to the Duke brothers.

Tonight, Good Morning Vietnam

Be smart, be informed, be safe everyone

Ken Burns could do a documentary on the history of paint drying and I would probably watch it.

I second JP the Beasta on Ken Burns!

Sorry for your loss LIZF
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

For Audio:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, especially the 6 part series on the "Blueprint for Armageddon" is essential listening for 20th century history.

Video:

Can't beat "The Wire" for its literature-like portrayal of modern american city and modern institutions and their incentives. I enjoyed this more the 2nd time around than the first viewing.

Sorry for your loss LIZF

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    So... not here in the US... but my wife's uncle down in Ecuador passed from COVID-19 complications today.

Done posting here for awhile... too real for me to deal with the back and forths here.

For the record, he was 80, in very good shape, had money and access to doctors... but ignored social distancing warnings.
    Really sorry to hear that, LiZF. Sorry for your loss, and the loss of a Zag friend. Nothing like reality to give us a reality check.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Sorry to read about your loss LiZF.

Regarding Netflix recommendations, a huge recommendation for "The Battered #######s of Baseball". Don't let the title scare you away, it's a great sports documentary, highly entertaining, about Bing Russell's (Actor Kurt Russell's father, who was also the sheriff on Bonanza) involvement with a minor league baseball team in Portland, Oregon. Kind of a Bad News Bears story about one of the last independent (not affiliated with a major league team) minor league teams. Kurt Russell does a lot of the narration.

Edit: The title got censored when I posted, I'll see if this works - search on Netflix for "The Battered Bast*rds of Baseball" (you fill in the blank).
    Last edited by PNW Zagfan; 03-26-2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: censorship

Another recommendation for those housebound...

Qello is a streaming site that focuses on music documentaries and concerts. You can sign up for a seven day free trial. I did as I wanted to watch Ron Howards documentary on the Beatles: "Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years". Great for any Beatle fan. Canceled the trial immediately thereafter so as to not incur the monthly fee, but my seven day trial remained in place so I can watch more without worrying about drifting into monthly charges, my free trial is still set to expire the end of this month.

Stay safe everyone!

Sorry for your loss LiZF.

Sheltering in place here as well. Working from home, and cancelled kids tennis lessons, etc. I skipped my regular Pickleball as well (Hugely popular here too!). We are rewatching Lost with my kids. They are pretty confused.

Sorry LIZ.

Any good basketball or baseball documentaries?
    Love the zags for life