Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you doing? (and Netflix etc recommendations)

Default How are you doing? (and Netflix etc recommendations)

We recently heard from our good friend Sili, and it reminds me of how our friendships are so important to us. So many of us have been on GUBoards for a long long time and have formed our own community here. Your friendships have meant a lot to me. I have always believed that we are much more than basketball reporters or analysts. We are friends.

I miss you, and I miss our interactions, and I often wonder how you are doing, hoping and praying for the best. Not sure how you feel about this but I'd love to hear from you and hopefully you tell us what's going on in your life (city.

I'm doing good. At first I was pretty freaked out about it all, but each day I accept the changes to my life better. I think change is hard for most people, and I know it is for me, especially in a time like this. what do I do? I pray a lot more that's for sure, and I mean a lot more. Interestingly enough this crises has drawn me closer to Our Lord. The social distancing is tough because I am such a people person and hugger. It's difficult not to be able to hugs all those I love. It's hard to stay six feet apart from them too. Very weird. BUT I AM DOING IT BECAUSE I BELIEVE ITS IMPORTANT TO BELIEVE THIS IS SERIOUS, and social distancing seems to be the answer. I've had to revert to talking to my kids and grandkids, on the phone and texting. I talk to them at least a couple times a week.

My church is closed but has an on line service which is just OK. I have found a Christian Chat room where I can talk to people on line. That has helped a lot. I go for a walk every day and I'm glad we can go outside. It's hard to imagine how I'd be doing without the internet.

I hope you all are okay. And I hope you check in and say hi and let us know how you're doing.
    God bless you all and your families too. Be safe.

Reborn

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Thanks Reborn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    We recently heard from our good friend Sili, and it reminds me of how our friendships are so important to us. So many of us have been on GUBoards for a long long time and have formed our own community here. Your friendships have meant a lot to me. I have always believed that we are much more than basketball reporters or analysts. We are friends.

I miss you, and I miss our interactions, and I often wonder how you are doing, hoping and praying for the best. Not sure how you feel about this but I'd love to hear from you and hopefully you tell us what's going on in your life (city.

I'm doing good. At first I was pretty freaked out about it all, but each day I accept the changes to my life better. I think change is hard for most people, and I know it is for me, especially in a time like this. what do I do? I pray a lot more that's for sure, and I mean a lot more. Interestingly enough this crises has drawn me closer to Our Lord. The social distancing is tough because I am such a people person and hugger. It's difficult not to be able to hugs all those I love. It's hard to stay six feet apart from them too. Very weird. BUT I AM DOING IT BECAUSE I BELIEVE ITS IMPORTANT TO BELIEVE THIS IS SERIOUS, and social distancing seems to be the answer. I've had to revert to talking to my kids and grandkids, on the phone and texting. I talk to them at least a couple times a week.

My church is closed but has an on line service which is just OK. I have found a Christian Chat room where I can talk to people on line. That has helped a lot. I go for a walk every day and I'm glad we can go outside. It's hard to imagine how I'd be doing without the internet.

I hope you all are okay. And I hope you check in and say hi and let us know how you're doing.
    God bless you all and your families too. Be safe.

Reborn

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn .... not only do I enjoy interacting with you here on guboards ... I really enjoy our "solve the world problems" ... "solve GU hoops problems" periodic coffee sessions in Yakima. Looks like it may be awhile before we see each other again ... but at least we can touch base here.

Stay safe, my friend.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

God bless you, Bornie. Your words and thoughts are perfect and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Reborn .... not only do I enjoy interacting with you here on guboards ... I really enjoy our "solve the world problems" ... "solve GU hoops problems" periodic coffee sessions in Yakima. Looks like it may be awhile before we see each other again ... but at least we can touch base here.

Stay safe, my friend.
    hoping you are safe and well...I worry some about my friends on the West Side

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Thanks Reborn!

hoping you are safe and well....thanks for
    responding

This is a great thread idea Reborn! Here’s hoping everyone stays healthy and safe!

11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Thanks Reborn!

Dittos here from North Texas. Dallas County residents have just been ordered to "shelter in place" starting tomorrow. I'm taking vacation next week (and likely the week after) as I have 3 strikes against me...ok, two and a foul tip...I'm over 65, a diabetic, and have Type A blood. I'm actually operating under orders from a higher authority, my wife. She's really taking this thing seriously.

It hasn't helped that UPS management has completely failed their employees. What their PR department is telling the world is not happening across UPS hubs throughout North America. A message from the current CEO now has over 200 responses with mostly the same message: you're full of it!

At my hub, there have been no sightings of hand sanitizer, greater emphasis on cleaning the worksite, etc. As last week progressed, there was no progress, prompting me to put in for vacation. If I need a doctor's note, I'll call his office tomorrow, and he can email me one.

Big D learned the meaning of another phrase this afternoon, that of "sailing in unchartered waters." My son will commence his online education experience tomorrow, truly a new wrinkle as he attempts to make it to graduation.

Sorry for straying from the topic. BTW, my diabetes has been under control for about 5 years, and my blood pressure is just about perfect. My immune system should be pretty strong right now, as I've been over the flu for at least six weeks.

Prayers out there for all of you, hopefully this situation will abate within weeks, not months.

Hi Reborn,

We have never met but I love and adore your passion for not just Gonzaga basketball but the sport in general. I hold you in high regard and it sucks that I can’t see anymore of your postgame thought threads the rest of the season. I immediately come here to see your reaction after every game. Your positivity relates with me as I know there are always simple flaws in our team that could always be fixed. I am thankful for you and several others here who keep the truth (JD is one) and I appreciate you guys to the fullest. Thank you very much
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Great thread idea, Reborn!

I'm an elementary librarian so we're off until at least the end of April. I'm sticking very close to home as I have a rare disease that can impact my breathing. My mom, who is 82 now lives with me, so yeah, we're not going out much. We're playing games and catching up on shows we've missed. Plus, LOTS of reading! I have some puzzles to do and maybe I'll do some writing... I've always wanted to have time to do more of that. I just have to keep reminding myself to stay off the news! Glad we have this place to come and talk.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I work in transportation, so things are crazy. We moved 90% of our work force to remote over the weekend (a week ago). Trying to keep the freight moving while capacity disappears and facilities are shutting down and struggling has been a challenge. The work stress, coupled with worry for my family and the economic uncertainty has certainly been difficult, but I have friends in much tougher positions. One of my buddies is out of work, a month of savings and no income. Scary times for us all.

Best wishes to all of you. Stay safe, stay together (however you can) and take care of each other.

Great thread idea Reborn. I'm glad you're hanging in there.

In many ways, this has been a pretty difficult few weeks. I had to cancel multiple work related conference trips, which was minimally problematic. Much more disappointing was my parents not being able to come visit over Easter. They are in their early 70's and being cautious, which I appreciate, but I relish every chance to see them and have them spend time with their grand kids. I was also admittedly very bummed about March Madness. While it's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, the first weekend is my favorite of the year and I was excited to see what this year's Gonzaga team could accomplish.

The biggest impact has been with work. My wife is a pediatric hospitalist and will be going on service this coming week; so I'm naturally worried about her. I'm a psychologist who works exclusively in pediatric hematology, oncology, and bone marrow transplant. I'm worried about my patients, most of whom are very immune compromised, but for now I am restricted to tele-health visits which are okay but not the same. Finally, we have 3 young kids at home and balancing work and childcare isn't very easy. We both strive to leave work at work (or at least until after bedtime) so it's been tricky being "home" but not really home at times.

Still, I'm incredibly fortunate in so many ways. So far, the family is healthy. We have plenty of resources and lots of support both personally and professionally. While the work-life balance has been difficult I have really loved spending extra time with my kids. I extend my best wishes to all. Please be safe and let's all hope that in a short time things can start to improve.

On the day i got back from the WCC tournament, I coincidentally had an appointment with my doctor. She told me that considering my age (over sixty) and my pre-existing health conditions (asthma and an ideopathic autoimmune condition), that she estimated my chances surviving if I get the bug at less than 50/50. She strongly recommended I self-isolate. So, I did by coming up to our summer place on an island in Puget Sound (figuring the exposure risk was far less than in urban Seattle) . My wife stayed in Seattle the first week and a half and isolated there, then decided to join me yesterday as she had shown no symptoms for 10 days. I'm set up to work remotely. Before my wife got here, I spent my days doing some work, watching streaming video, trading e-mails and messages with some of my long term buddies, admiring our view of Puget Sound and Mt. Baker, going for walks on the beach by myself, and getting some physical exercise. I have a bird book and am checking off all of the species I observe. I also took some drives by myself, but didn't have any contact with anyone else. Since my wife got here, we've deep cleaned the house (I suspect there's a lot of that going on) and the food has definitely improved. I kind of feel like the title character in Papillon, imprisoned in a place of great beauty. I have no idea how long we'll be here, though I'm guessing it will probably be months rather than days. As to video streaming, I'm gladly accepting recommendations for Amazon Prime and Netflix. From my end, I recommend Bosch on Amazon for those who like gritty crime dramas and the West Wing on Netflix.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

In a pickle of a situation. We want to get back to Spokane from Arizona so we can hole up at our lake cabin and spend days fishing and swimming. Fly or drive? Either way has risk of exposure. What would you do? Driving would require several hotels and eating from take out or delivery, then there are beds we have no idea whether they are safe even with our own pillows. Flying is only half the risk, the airports have lots of opportunity for exposure and PHX is a big busy airport. 14 TSA personnel have tested positive already last I read a few days ago. We have a car in AZ we normally leave there but could drive. Any insights would be welcome...
    Thanks Born.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Nothing like having a newborn now. I hope is all well and stay blessed.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    On the day i got back from the WCC tournament, I coincidentally had an appointment with my doctor. She told me that considering my age (over sixty) and my pre-existing health conditions (asthma and an ideopathic autoimmune condition), that she estimated my chances surviving if I get the bug at less than 50/50. She strongly recommended I self-isolate. So, I did by coming up to our summer place on an island in Puget Sound (figuring the exposure risk was far less than in urban Seattle) . My wife stayed in Seattle the first week and a half and isolated there, then decided to join me yesterday as she had shown no symptoms for 10 days. I'm set up to work remotely. Before my wife got here, I spent my days doing some work, watching streaming video, trading e-mails and messages with some of my long term buddies, admiring our view of Puget Sound and Mt. Baker, going for walks on the beach by myself, and getting some physical exercise. I have a bird book and am checking off all of the species I observe. I also took some drives by myself, but didn't have any contact with anyone else. Since my wife got here, we've deep cleaned the house (I suspect there's a lot of that going on) and the food has definitely improved. I kind of feel like the title character in Papillon, imprisoned in a place of great beauty. I have no idea how long we'll be here, though I'm guessing it will probably be months rather than days. As to video streaming, I'm gladly accepting recommendations for Amazon Prime and Netflix. From my end, I recommend Bosch on Amazon for those who like gritty crime dramas and the West Wing on Netflix.
    Babylon Berlin, 3 seasons, Netflix
    Man in the High Tower, 3 seasons, Amazon
    Succession, HBO
    For starters. Be well, A

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    In a pickle of a situation. We want to get back to Spokane from Arizona so we can hole up at our lake cabin and spend days fishing and swimming. Fly or drive? Either way has risk of exposure. What would you do? Driving would require several hotels and eating from take out or delivery, then there are beds we have no idea whether they are safe even with our own pillows. Flying is only half the risk, the airports have lots of opportunity for exposure and PHX is a big busy airport. 14 TSA personnel have tested positive already last I read a few days ago. We have a car in AZ we normally leave there but could drive. Any insights would be welcome...
    Thanks Born.
    Imo, it will turn out air travel was the #1 culprit of this thing, so while it too has risk, I suggest drive. Even sleeping in the car, if you can handle it. Or renting an RV. God bless..I can’t imagine a scarier place than sky harbor, or at least before this, a mob scene 18 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Thanks Born.
    Tough call. From what I am hearing... most flights are borderline empty. But, that being said, I don't know if I'd want to be in an enclosed space with recirculated air with strangers for 2-3 hours. I am kinda with Jazz... I'd probably drive.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Here are three I have really liked... to the point of jonesing for new episodes:

The Boys - Amazon
    Hunters - Amazon
    Ozark - Netflix
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Tough call. From what I am hearing... most flights are borderline empty. But, that being said, I don't know if I'd want to be in an enclosed space with recirculated air with strangers for 2-3 hours. I am kinda with Jazz... I'd probably drive.
    1,300 miles, 20 hours on Google maps.....two nights sleeping......safest place these days is inside a car.....food, just pack up at home base in Phx......if nec, supermarkets have plenty of prepared meals and pizza places seem safe...delightful landscapes on the way....right through Kennewick....

I thought "Hunters" was OK about a 7 out of 10. For lighter fare try "Lemony Snickets" (the series). I'm currently about 2/3 through "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" and I really like it. great period sets, lively dialogue, and terrific acting. New Yorkers will either greatly approve or greatly disapprove.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I thought "Hunters" was OK about a 7 out of 10. For lighter fare try "Lemony Snickets" (the series). I'm currently about 2/3 through "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" and I really like it. great period sets, lively dialogue, and terrific acting. New Yorkers will either greatly approve or greatly disapprove.
    This one disapproves with extreme prejudice.....stereotypes are abominable.....no Seinfeld.....wife loves it (she's from Iowa)....

Playing golf tennis and hiking with wife in Rancho Mirage. Trails are busiest of the three.

rewatching Mindhunter series on Netflix

stay safe Zag Fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This one disapproves with extreme prejudice.....stereotypes are abominable.....no Seinfeld.....wife loves it (she's from Iowa)....
    It is a caricature! That's why i made the approve/disapprove comment. OTOH, the guy playing Lenny bears an amazing likeness to the real Lenny.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.