Thread: Tech rematch? And other gossip

Default Tech rematch? And other gossip

Rothstein today...

Sources: Texas Tech and Gonzaga will play a neutral site game in Phoenix on December 19th, 2020. Maybe at Talking Stick.

Source: Loyola Marymount has hired Marquette's Stan Johnson as its next head basketball coach. Official announcement expected soon.

Source: Kansas will host Harvard as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.

Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith tells me that he is now receiving interest from both Seton Hall and Gonzaga in addition to Arizona and Michigan.

....and

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index....-45-for-20-21/

I hate watching floppers who fall every time you look at them and the refs almost always call it a charge on the offinsive player. Texas Tech and duke are probably the worst at this, so I hate watching these teams play, as a matter of fact I usually turn to something else when they start their flopping, unless they are playing the Zags, then I will watch it all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I hate watching floppers who fall every time you look at them and the refs almost always call it a charge on the offinsive player. Texas Tech and duke are probably the worst at this, so I hate watching these teams play, as a matter of fact I usually turn to something else when they start their flopping, unless they are playing the Zags, then I will watch it all.
    Nope, that honor goes to BYU
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I sure hope not. I guess the reasoning for it would be the relatively weak class.

Kispert improves his stock with a strong showing in the tournament next year, along with greater consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Yes I would add them into that category Griz.

Texas Tech is fine to have on schedule. Give the guys some grit
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Rothstein today...

Sources: Texas Tech and Gonzaga will play a neutral site game in Phoenix on December 19th, 2020. Maybe at Talking Stick.

Source: Loyola Marymount has hired Marquette's Stan Johnson as its next head basketball coach. Official announcement expected soon.

Source: Kansas will host Harvard as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.

Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith tells me that he is now receiving interest from both Seton Hall and Gonzaga in addition to Arizona and Michigan.

....and

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index....-45-for-20-21/
    He could be a good fit. Not a great 3% but pretty good overall and nice assists.
    STATS
    2019-20
    2018-19
    2017-18
    2016-17
    GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    30 37.7 43.2 34.1 81.3 4.1 4.5 0.0 1.5 1.5 3.0 22.8
    8 31.8 41.5 25.0 85.3 2.5 5.0 0.0 2.3 1.5 2.3 15.8
    27 34.0 39.0 30.8 84.2 2.6 4.6 0.0 1.1 1.8 2.2 17.6
    27 31.4 40.1 38.2 82.1 2.1 3.5 0.0 1.1 1.6 1.8 13.6
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    How they get away with it is beyond me. When you see how their coach acted in Vegas after St. Mary's beat them I seriously doubt future teams there will be taught to play ethically. His lack of sportsmanship was despicable.

I hate floppers it just ruins the game for me.

From the Herald article re Kispert. The quotes are plug ins, could be attributed to anybody contemplating entering the draft.

“Nothing is set in stone, I’m going to keep all my options open"
    “I’m going to work with my coaches and family to make the best decision for myself moving forward.”
    “It’s still a work in progress,”
    “None of it is set in stone"
    "Everything is fluid, so you have to be flexible.”
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    From the Herald article re Kispert. The quotes are plug ins, could be attributed to anybody contemplating entering the draft.
    I agree. Unless you were total set on coming back to college, these seem like the things one would say. I suppose that if his draft stock is much higher than he thinks he will bolt, but my impression is that he is staying. I would be very excited for him if he did. His draft value seems similar to Perkins or Norvell, so if that's the path he chooses, more power to him.

In my opinion, we all know that he is a really good shooter but he gets rejected at the rim way too much for the NBA. He needs to find a way to finish in traffic, or when seemingly open windows at the rim are closed up rapidly by a help/pursuing defender. On multiple occasions, he had a defender just seem to come out of nowhere to block his shot. He needs to learn to feel this, like a QB in the pocket, and find a different release angle on his shot or a wiggle when he drives. Shorter players develop this (see: Woolridge, who was a magician at getting his shot up and over guys) because they have to, but he hasn't needed to up until now, it seems to me. I feel this is something that he can improve, because I saw a big leap between seasons for Rui; the year before he left he was bothered by bigger defenders-- the Florida game comes to mind as an example, if memory serves--but he didn't have that problem the next.

Love this headline in the Deseret News: No. 18 BYU finishes ranked in final AP Top 25 poll for 9th time in last 50 years (hahaha)

Link: https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...-final-ap-poll

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Love this headline in the Deseret News: No. 18 BYU finishes ranked in final AP Top 25 poll for 9th time in last 50 years (hahaha)

Link: https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...-final-ap-poll
    In other news, Zac Seljaas' acting skills are opening doors for him in Hollywood.

https://twitter.com/CBBSuperFan/stat...44431692173312

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I agree. Unless you were total set on coming back to college, these seem like the things one would say. I suppose that if his draft stock is much higher than he thinks he will bolt, but my impression is that he is staying. I would be very excited for him if he did. His draft value seems similar to Perkins or Norvell, so if that's the path he chooses, more power to him.

In my opinion, we all know that he is a really good shooter but he gets rejected at the rim way too much for the NBA. He needs to find a way to finish in traffic, or when seemingly open windows at the rim are closed up rapidly by a help/pursuing defender. On multiple occasions, he had a defender just seem to come out of nowhere to block his shot. He needs to learn to feel this, like a QB in the pocket, and find a different release angle on his shot or a wiggle when he drives. Shorter players develop this (see: Woolridge, who was a magician at getting his shot up and over guys) because they have to, but he hasn't needed to up until now, it seems to me. I feel this is something that he can improve, because I saw a big leap between seasons for Rui; the year before he left he was bothered by bigger defenders-- the Florida game comes to mind as an example, if memory serves--but he didn't have that problem the next.

JMHO but it seems unlikely he would bolt after this year knowing what is coming in this coming season. I see him as having tons of fun playing basketball and enjoys the college life. I think he knows what is ahead of him and is taking life one day at a time...I would be shocked if he didn't return for his senior year...I could see him testing the waters and go to the pre-draft workouts, if the NBA has one this year.

He is the consummate GU student/athlete, who doesn't want to settle for just WCC Championships...he will be remembered as the player who brought GU its first NC.

His girlfriend is coming back, that should tell you sumpin!!!

- thread seems to be trending towards kispert possibly bolting to the nba.
    - what i read is the nba draft, and pre draft screenings (physicals, interviews, workouts) are all in a state of flux. i.e. no plans as to how that will play out or even take place.
    - what this means to me is that potential marginal draftees such as kispert, ayayi and even petrusev, are going to have a hard time selling themselves beyond what their history or work has shown to date.
    - i think g.m's are going to go for as solid of a prospect as they can find, they are going to have a difficult time finding that one player that has impressed them and only them, and they are willing to take a bit of a leap of faith to draft in the second round.
    - bottom line, i think ayayi and kispert return, do not see a g.m. giving them a firm message of yeah we might draft you.

In Sports Illustrated’s latest mock draft, Kispert and Tillie are both second rounders. No Petrusev. FWIW

46. Celtics (via Nets) - Corey Kispert, SF, Gonzaga

49. Sixers - Killian Tillie, PF, Gonzaga

If the NBA draft is pushed back I imagine that the GU trio if Ayayi/Petrusev/Kispert will all wait a little longer than normal before announcing one way or the other.

These guys are smart, their coaches are smart, and with next year's NBA, g-league, foreign leagues, and CBB all uncertain, why not keep all options on the table?

These kids should take all the time in the universe.

No one knows when the draft will be, when camps open, when school will open, if school will open, all that.

There might not be a draft till Sept, season might not start till December.

They have no reason to do anything but use clichés and listen to everyone.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

From virtual tours to Instagram, Gonzaga adapts to unique recruiting circumstances during coronavirus pandemic

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ga-adapts-to-/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    From virtual tours to Instagram, Gonzaga adapts to unique recruiting circumstances during coronavirus pandemic

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ga-adapts-to-/
    There may be a silver lining to the C-19 crisis for GU. It sounds like Petro, Joel, Marty, Pavel, Oumar, and Tilie are all still on campus while every other player on the team has gone home. I would imagine that dang near every player on every other team has gone home as well. If these guys are still getting together in the gym and weight room, it could really pay dividends next fall and give GU and edge coming out of the gate (assuming that there is a gate to open!)

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    There may be a silver lining to the C-19 crisis for GU. It sounds like Petro, Joel, Marty, Pavel, Oumar, and Tilie are all still on campus while every other player on the team has gone home. I would imagine that dang near every player on every other team has gone home as well. If these guys are still getting together in the gym and weight room, it could really pay dividends next fall and give GU and edge coming out of the gate (assuming that there is a gate to open!)
    If those six interact it would be great, as long as none of them get exposed.
    For sure the weight room is a wonderful idea.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Eli Boettger
    @boettger_eli
    · 18h
    —74.2 percent of top-100 recruits who played under Mike Krzyzewski have reached the NBA

—Mark Few has coached 11 NBA players who were sub-100 recruits, which is the most in college basketball

My latest for @HeatCheckCBB:

https://heatcheckcbb.com/2020/03/31/...g-nba-players/