Thread: OT - AP All-America Women's Basketball Team

Default OT - AP All-America Women's Basketball Team

Here is the list of the first, second, and third team All-American Wbb basketball players along with the Honorable Mentions. As would be expected with the lack of notoriety and coverage, no mid-major players were recognized on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd teams, but several mid-major players did receive honorable mentions (no Lady Zags):

2020 WOMEN'S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST With Season Statistics

First Team
    Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, 5-11, senior, Walnut Creek, Calif., 17.5 ppg, 9.1 apg, 8.6 rpg (30 of 30 first-place votes, 150 points)
    Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, 6-2, sophomore, Cleveland, Tenn., 23.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 38.2 3-point % (23, 134)
    Ruthy Hebard , Oregon, 6-4, senior, Fairbanks, Alaska, 17.3 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 68.5 fg%, (21, 126)
    Lauren Cox, Baylor, 6-4, senior, Flower Mound, Texas, 12.5 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.7 blocks (20, 116)
    Megan Walker,, UConn, 6-1, junior, Chesterfield, Va., 19.7 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 47.7 fg% (14, 97)

Second Team
    Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, freshman, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., 12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 60.9 fg% (6, 74)
    Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, 5-7, junior, Mansfield, Texas, 21.3 ppg, 3.5 apg, 4.3 rpg (7, 72)
    Satou Sabally, Oregon, 6-4, junior, Berlin, Germany, 16.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 79.2 ft% (6, 71)
    Aari McDonald Arizona, 5-6, junior, Fresno, Calif. 20.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 79.1 ft% (6, 69)
    Dana Evans , Louisville, 5-6, junior, Gary, Ind., 18.1 ppg, 4.2 apg, 89.0 ft% (3, 69)

Third Team
    Tyasha Harris, South Carolina, 5-10, senior, Noblesville, Ind., 12.1 ppg, 5.7 apg, 86.7 ft% (7, 57)
    Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, 6-0, junior, Aurora, Colo., 19.1 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 46.9 fg% (0, 39)
    Kathleen Doyle, Iowa, 5-9, senior, LaGrange Park, Ill., 18.1 ppg, 6.3 apg, 4.6 rpg (1, 36)
    Elissa Cunane, North Carolina State, 6-5, sophomore, Summerfield, N.C., 16.4 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 54.7 fg% (0, 32)
    Kaila Charles, Maryland, 6-1 senior, Glenn Dale, Md., 14.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 50 fg% (0, 31)
    ---
    Honorable Mention (alphabetical order)
    Jaylyn Agnew, Creighton; Bella Alarie, Princeton; Brittany Brewer, Texas Tech; Te'a Cooper, Baylor; Crystal Dangerfield, UConn; Rennia Davis, Tennessee; Ciara Duffy, South Dakota; Kiah Gillespie, Florida State; Haley Gorecki, Duke; Vivian Gray, Oklahoma State; Arella Guirantes, Rutgers; Ashley Joens, Iowa State; Stella Johnson, Rider; Ila Lane, UC Santa Barbara; Beatrice Mompremier, Miami; Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn ;Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State; Lindsey Pulliam, Northwestern; NaLyssa Smith, Baylor; Chante Stonewall, DePaul; Unique Thompson, Auburn; Kiana Williams, Stanford.
    Link to article and list: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...dbt?li=BBnbfcL

ZagDad

Any idea how they go about determining HM? Is there a cap on how many players can make the list? These are largely stats driven...except when they aren't. Cox, Boston and Harris were 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all averaging around 12 ppg. I think A LOT more players are very deserving of HM. Certainly Towsend from GU. Hittner and/or Rhine from Drake, Willard from Missouri St., Hillmon from Michigan, Slocum from Oregon St. and Lexie Hull from Stanford are a few that immediately come to mind that seem like big omissions. UConn fans are fairly perturbed Dangerfield didn't even make HM. You cant list everybody, but I have to shake my head.

Also these honors are usually highly dependent on being on a very successful team. I have to admit I'd never heard of Ila Lane from UCSB. I looked her up, impressive stats, especially for a Fr., but they were 14-15 on the year and barely over .500 in a really weak conference. I think MANY other players should've made the list before her. Oh well.

Keep in mind that this is the AP (otherwise known as the sports writers) All-American Team.

Our local (Spokesman Review) woman's basketball writer covers not only the NCAA women's sports, but also high school sports and K-12 education topics. How much time do you think he has to spend watching even P5 conference teams, let alone mid-major teams out of his area?

Even when reading national sports writers (for example, Graham Hayes, Mechelle Voepel from ESPN), you can see that the amount of coverage given to the on-P5 conferences is very limited. As we all know with national awards like the Heisman Trophy, it is all about the exposure and the national recognition and unfortunately the non-P5 teams have little of either.

ZagDad

I hear ya ZagDad.

I thought about it a little more, for an impact Fr. from a team that wouldn't have made the NCAA Tourney, I gotta think Pili from USC was deserving of HM. She was Pac 12 Freshman of the year and the only Fr. that made the 15 member All Conference team. She was a beast and seemed to keep getting better as the season progressed.