Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Scheduling

Gonzaga, IMO, will never likely play a home and home series again with a team outside of the BCS leagues and the upper crust of the BE and American. Them days are over baby. I will never forget Leon Rice responding to a caller on the radio coaches radio show during his last season at GU. The caller asked whether GU would ever play a home and home with UTEP, which plays in C-USA and plays in a 12,000+ seat arena. He told the caller flat out NO. Homes and homes are only going to be done with upper tier BCS teams or teams like Villanova.

I very much like the idea of doing a Tennessee and Gonzaga home and home. Barnes is starting to bring in big time recruits. Just don't do it after finals week where it has been proven again and again statistically (and thru plain common sense) that teams underperform after finals, even if they win. A few college basketball analysts are still lambasting GU's schedulers for accepting that North Carolina road game after finals week. You don't travel that far after finals weeks to go get your butt kicked at a blueblood school. Yes, I know GU beat Arizona after finals this past year, but I still still say only Big Sky and Big West schools, at K2, after finals. They can play a heavy duty team before Xmas break. It's like coaches who choose not to foul with under 5 seconds left when they're up 3. Statistics show that it is the right thing to do, but whenever an aberration occurs like what happened between Duke and UNC this year, people ignore the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Next season the Zags will still be a year away from "re-starting" the Battle in Seattle, in the "new" Seattle Center Arena.

Things have changed with Gonzaga's program since the "Battle in Seattle" has been on sabbatical (i.e. Gonzaga is now a truly elite Men's Basketball program).

The format moving forward will stay the same vis a vis games with high profile opponents being semi "home and home". i.e. neutral/neutral. In the past some of Gonzaga's "return" games have been in neutral NBA/NHL arenas .... Boston for the UConn game, Chicago for the Illinois game, Phoenix for the Arizona game, Wichita (not an NBA/NHL arena) for the Kansas State game, Nashville (an NHL arena) for the Tennessee game.

As we move ahead, the "Battle in Seattle" will be a cornerstone for very, very high profile, OOC games.

Man, am I looking forward to it !!!
    If they ever resume the Battle In Seattle, it only makes sense to do it during seasons when GU is hosting Huskies. I see the Battle In Seattle game as an ideal game to play someone like Kentucky, who generally refuses to play out of league road games. People need to understand that Rupp Arena is located off campus. Yes, Rupp is closer to UK than GU is to Key Arena, but it's the one way to get a team like UK or Duke, who never play true road games (unless forced to by league challenges) to come to the Pacific NW.

I do not see Few ever agreeing to a home and home with Oregon. It hits too close to him. They were forced to face each other at Atlantis last year. But generally speaking, Few hates coaching against friends or his alma mater. We would have seen an Oregon/GU home and home before last year if Fewie really wanted it. The only exception seems to be Rick Barnes at Tennessee. Both Mark are Rick are buddies, but they must recognize that the way that the 2 programs play the game makes for a really good way of assessing their teams.

I lived just outside of Knoxville for 3 years as a kid so Tennessee is my 2nd favorite team. Love these games between the two and really like Barnes and what he's been doing at Tennessee.

Just saw this on Twitter:
    Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    8m
    Gonzaga scheduling news: Zags will play home and home against Texas, beginning in Austin this November
    Cool to have a game in Texas for Drew! And for the many fans in the area!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Considering how highly ranked Creighton is (2-5 preseason with everyone back), it might be good to do another home and him with the Jays...

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    1m
    BIG news on future GU schedules: Gonzaga and Kansas have agreed to a home-and-home series, according to a source.
    Series expected to begin at Allen Fieldhouse in Dec. 2022, return game at McCarthey Athletic Center in Dec. 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    1m
    BIG news on future GU schedules: Gonzaga and Kansas have agreed to a home-and-home series, according to a source.
    Series expected to begin at Allen Fieldhouse in Dec. 2022, return game at McCarthey Athletic Center in Dec. 2023.
    We ain’t in Kansas anymore, ZagNation....yet we will be!!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    1m
    Both Few & Self born 12-27-62 but don't think that date would work, eh?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    1m
    Really hope this sets a new trend of consistently playing the big boys in non-conference.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the home and home with Texas for the next two years.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...chedule-next-/

Elite we are becoming. Soon the OOC will be filled with high powered opponents. Of the 15 OOC games I’m thinking g 9-10 should with big programs. This conference we’re in seems to be weak many years but it seems to fill the bill sufficiently to us very high rankings and seedings.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'm surprised no one's commented on the home and home with Texas for the next two years.

I did in post #30!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

It's too bad the Zags couldn't play the road portion in 2021 as I believe UT is opening a new arena then. The Erwin Center was a bit of a dump last time I was there 9 years ago and I can't imagine it's gotten any better when football is king.

I'm flying the entire family to Arizona next year, as the most-gracious AzZag has opened his home to host us. We will be taking both of our families to that game to rep the zags against Texas Tech. Can't wait.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Personally I hope GU does not schedule Oregon in the future. That last game was enough- as I live in Eugene with 3 Ducks and 2 are double Ducks. I told my 'boys' that if Oregon won that they can pick up their Thanksgiving dinner at McDonalds. The youngest son had his 6 year old giving me the score at the end. at least the wife who is a double duck rooted for the Zags and her children were furious with her- did hear the word Benedict Arnold once or twice. The wife said 'look I am married to your father and you know how he is when the Zags lose. Would you like a repeat of the UCLA game- and he has had football season tickets for over 40 years- she is no dumb bunny. What I thought most interesting was the handshake at the end of the game. I always watch for that in every game whether Zags are playing or not. It was like ships passing in the night- Altman did not look Few in the eye and just kept moving. Was surprised- but I think he took the loss hard as the sports media always say GU is the best in the west and this was his one chance to prove them wrong- he took it very hard and this year he had to contend with the Oregon woman selling the arena out( 12,000+) and the men were all over the map- 7,000 one night and then 10,000 and then back to 7,000. But the times and dates are terrible- 5:00pm or 8:00 pm and few people from out of town will come here to watch them at 8:00 PM. Also all games are on tv- so why not stay home have a beer and watch the game and parking is just hell with the new arena( I grew up 4 blocks from the old arena and old football stadium)- there is no parking. In any case Altman was not happy to lose and I am sure he will not schedule the Zags- he will not want to come to Spokane and if he played the Zags say at Christmas break0 Zag followers would be numerous and loud.

We know Gonzaga will get a few more really solid games. The interesting thing will be whether we have too many cupcakes again. Texas is a good one.

Texas Men's Basketball
    @TexasMBB
    ·
    5m
    Police cars revolving light Mark your calendars!! Police cars revolving light

We’re hosting Gonzaga at the
    @ErwinCenter
    on November 13th.

I keep reading that we will be playing UA on the road again in 2020.

Question: Are we not playing UA at home this coming season as we beat them in AZ last season?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I keep reading that we will be playing UA on the road again in 2020.

Question: Are we not playing UA at home this coming season as we beat them in AZ last season?
    We play U. of Arizona in Spokane. We play Texas Tech in Phoenix. That may be where the confusion is coming in.

https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welco...zaga-schedule/

From Twitter this morning:

@JonRothstein
    ·
    2h
    Source: Gonzaga will host North Florida as part of its 2020-21 non-conference schedule.
    The D1 Docket
    @TheD1Docket
    · 19h
    Gonzaga has agreed to host North Florida on November 20th, per public records obtained by @TheD1Docket.

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    From Twitter this morning:
    Not bad, 166 on KenPom and 21-12 last year.

Zags to Face Texas Tech in Jerry Colangelo Classic

https://gozags.com/news/2020/6/10/me...o-classic.aspx

Zags to Face Texas Tech in Jerry Colangelo Classic

https://gozags.com/news/2020/6/10/me...o-classic.aspx
    With BYU playing ASU there will be a lot of Blue in Phoenix that day. Hoping I can make it to both of the premier games that day, and maybe even all 4.