Thread: 2020-21 Scheduling

Hybrid View

Default 2020-21 Scheduling

Zags will play UW and Arizona in the Kennel next year.

Zags will play three games at the Orlando Tournament (Field: Auburn/Belmont/Boise State/Michigan State/Saint Louis/Siena/Xavier).

I'm hoping we get a neutral site game and a home/home series against a Big 10, SEC, ACC or Big East.

I'm hoping we can see a game or series with SDSU. Perhaps one with Dayton, too.

Zags seem to be consistent in scheduling games with Texas teams, do we see a renewal of the A&M series, maybe games with Houston or Baylor?

After that, I hope we get no more than 6 buy games. I'd love to see a couple non-conference games (MWC/AAC/A10) in January and February as well, but doubtful.

Who do you hope/think/speculate the Zags will play next season?

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Zags will play UW and Arizona in the Kennel next year.

Zags will play three games at the Orlando Tournament (Field: Auburn/Belmont/Boise State/Michigan State/Saint Louis/Siena/Xavier).

I'm hoping we get a neutral site game and a home/home series against a Big 10, SEC, ACC or Big East.

I'm hoping we can see a game or series with SDSU. Perhaps one with Dayton, too.

Zags seem to be consistent in scheduling games with Texas teams, do we see a renewal of the A&M series, maybe games with Houston or Baylor?

After that, I hope we get no more than 6 buy games. I'd love to see a couple non-conference games (MWC/AAC/A10) in January and February as well, but doubtful.

Who do you hope/think/speculate the Zags will play next season?
    Teams that I'd like to see home/home series with would Villanova, Xavier, and Kansas. Although unlikely, those are teams that would be a challenge and not kill you if you lost. Perhaps Kentucky or Louisville as other teams I'd like to see. I agree on a SD State series as well. No way I see them playing Boise State if Rice is there.

If things go well with the virus between now and year end -- I would love to see the NCAA coordinate a tournament with the top 4-8 teams that would have been dancing in the tournament this year (early December timeframe).
    Last edited by Zagdawg; 03-19-2020 at 03:32 PM.

First GREAT thread!

I'd like to see GU do a home and home with at least five of these schools: UCLA, ASU, CO, SDSU, UL, UM, TT, WVU, OU, UT, Baylor, TCU, A&M, UL, ND, UVA, FSU, IU, PSU, MD and/or UK.

GU will be awesome and it is too bad we can only play with one ball! (That is if Ayayi returns)

Can our freshman quickly adapt to D1 type defence and quickness...

Not sure about Houston, CB. Only conjecture on my part (& someone feel free to correct me) but I'm guessing Few may have some issues with Sampson from his days at WSU.
    But we don't play nobody.

I think San Diego St. is a natural fit for us just for the simple fact of proximity and would make a great home and home series for years to come. My only concern is they are not consistently good year in and year out. This year they had the benefit of some great transfers but their recruiting pipeline is pretty bare.

Rothstein reporting neutral site vs. Texas Tech

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    2m
    Sources: Texas Tech and Gonzaga will play a neutral site game in Phoenix on December 19th, 2020.

Next season the Zags will still be a year away from "re-starting" the Battle in Seattle, in the "new" Seattle Center Arena.

Things have changed with Gonzaga's program since the "Battle in Seattle" has been on sabbatical (i.e. Gonzaga is now a truly elite Men's Basketball program).

The format moving forward will stay the same vis a vis games with high profile opponents being semi "home and home". i.e. neutral/neutral. In the past some of Gonzaga's "return" games have been in neutral NBA/NHL arenas .... Boston for the UConn game, Chicago for the Illinois game, Phoenix for the Arizona game, Wichita (not an NBA/NHL arena) for the Kansas State game, Nashville (an NHL arena) for the Tennessee game.

As we move ahead, the "Battle in Seattle" will be a cornerstone for very, very high profile, OOC games.

Man, am I looking forward to it !!!

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

A game against Baylor could potentially be the Jimmy V Classic Championship Game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

@kitzbuel: We can only have 1 mte this season now, so that’s a no
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

My thought was if Baylor wins it’s Jimmy V game and GU wins it’s game and if our subsequent game with Baylor is after Jimmy V games we can call it a championship.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I do not think the Jimmy V is a MTE. It just counts as two non-conf games. So the potential for Baylor v Zags Jimmy V championship in an Orlando, or other place, bubble is still there.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Sources: All teams involved in one of Orlando's eight early season college basketball events could potentially play as many as FIVE total games during their extended time in Florida. Additional games will be an option.

"There also have been discussions about "crossover" games, with teams playing against one another outside of their scheduled event or scheduled game. Baylor and Gonzaga, two teams who were scheduled to play this season, will both be in Orlando and are candidates for such an arrangement."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ference-season

Might as well grab one of the other teams already there and get an extra game in.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    46s
    Sources: The current target date for the 2020 Jimmy V Classic is December 2nd.

Matchups are Baylor/Rutgers and Gonzaga/Tennessee.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    2m
    Sources: The current target date for the 2020 Champions Classic in Orlando is December 1st.

Matchups are Kentucky/Kansas and Duke/Michigan State.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Might as well grab one of the other teams already there and get an extra game in.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    46s
    Sources: The current target date for the 2020 Jimmy V Classic is December 2nd.

Matchups are Baylor/Rutgers and Gonzaga/Tennessee.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    2m
    Sources: The current target date for the 2020 Champions Classic in Orlando is December 1st.

Matchups are Kentucky/Kansas and Duke/Michigan State.
    Few on one of those recent podcasts mentioned they are really trying to get in as many marquee games in as possible.

I say screw it, lets add all of Baylor/Kansas/Kentucky/Duke/Michigan St./Rutgers. Straight gauntlet non-con.

Default Let’s play some basketball

https://gozags.com/news/2020/10/8/wc...-schedule.aspx

Full WCC schedule has been officially released. Flat. Out. Awesome.

Edited to say please refrain from discussing politics/ opinions on COVID-19 in this thread. Thanks.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

SSF: ESPN Bursts the Orlando Bubble

In a report by The Athletic’s Seth Davis, ESPN is abandoning the Orlando Bubble, as it has come to be known, in light of significant issues in reaching a consensus health protocol and aligning the varying interests and requirements of more than 24 schools who were supposed to participate.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...orlando-bubble

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    1m
    Sources: Fort Myers has emerged as a location to host an MTE featuring both Gonzaga and Auburn. Other two teams are currently TBD. Games would be on 11/25 and 11/27.

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    · 8m
    HUGE matchup in the works for opening night of CBB, sources tell CBS Sports: Kansas vs Gonzaga on Nov. 25 in Fort Myers. Auburn is also in this MTE. Fourth team is to-be-determined, but plan is then Auburn-Gonzaga would play Nov. 27, with Kansas playing TBD team that date too.

Kansas to open the season! Ooooohhh baby!

Can't wait to see who ends up being the fourth team.

@MattNorlander
    Context that is key: There is jockeying for the fourth team. If these three teams are going to stay in as hoped, KU and Auburn are going to have to agree on that fourth team. Obviously all these big schools have multiple options at the moment, but this is preferred destination.
    7:31 AM · Oct 27, 2020·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...97166946000897

My Gonzaga basketball fan emotions are getting pulled in so many different directions this week
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    · 8m
    HUGE matchup in the works for opening night of CBB, sources tell CBS Sports: Kansas vs Gonzaga on Nov. 25 in Fort Myers. Auburn is also in this MTE. Fourth team is to-be-determined, but plan is then Auburn-Gonzaga would play Nov. 27, with Kansas playing TBD team that date too.
    This news feels to me like a rainbow out in front of a potentially dark, cloudy college hoops season.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

TSN's Mike Decourcy: ESPN's bubble popped, but that doesn't mean college basketball should give up on regular season

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...f13bym8atww5fd

Playing strictly conference games is not inherently safer, unless those games are wrapped inside a bubble similar to those employed by the NBA or NHL. It may be the favored approach of some college basketball leagues, and it may be the only way some can afford to achieve a representative conference schedule. And that’s fine.

But to suggest that the complications that develop when different leagues follow different medical advice make it necessary to abandon the entire enterprise is the same defeatist approach that has been steamrolled by every sports competition that has resumed competition.

Last edited by White lightning; 11-22-2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: This is interesting.