Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 258

Thread: 2020-21 Scheduling

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,628

    Default

    Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    1h
    This is an a awesome matchup.

    Told there’s still a chance Gonzaga could play Texas Tech down in Orlando. Zags may be put in a pod with Cincinnati and Texas Tech.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,818

    Default

    I wonder if the Zags will be able to get additional games while at Indy as well.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,628

    Default

    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    12h
    Source: Gonzaga's neutral site game with Texas Tech in Phoenix that was scheduled for December 19th has been officially moved to the 21-22 season on 12/18/21.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,628

    Default

    Aaron Torres
    @Aaron_Torres
    ·
    11h
    Little nugget to add to this report: Sioux Falls has emerged as a big time spot for out of conference college hoops (Iowa-Gonzaga, Battle 4 Atlantis) because as multiple sources tell me, as of now, the venue plans on allowing some fans in the stands. Plan accordingly Zags fans Folded hands

  5. #130
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    This could actually end up being a very good OOC schedule for us and a lot of fun. Good preparation for conference, which most game frankly should be a break from this OOC schedule, and March. This team will be much better in March than in Nov/Dec as well, so that will be exciting to watch. Seems like we have six legit games OOC at this point unless I've missed any: Tennessee, 3 Game Tourney (bracket not out), Baylor, and Iowa.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    The shortened schedule has also weeded out most of the NET/RPI lowering cupcakes. That will cost us some wins including another 30+ win season but we will be as well-tested vs top competition by January as anybody in the country.

    ZZ

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,100

    Default Let’s play some basketball

    https://gozags.com/news/2020/10/8/wc...-schedule.aspx

    Full WCC schedule has been officially released. Flat. Out. Awesome.

    Edited to say please refrain from discussing politics/ opinions on COVID-19 in this thread. Thanks.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    210

    Default

    The Gonzaga Men's WCC Schedule Released

    https://gozags.com/news/2020/10/8/wc...bpoq6C7xg2I98A

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    The shortened schedule has also weeded out most of the NET/RPI lowering cupcakes. That will cost us some wins including another 30+ win season but we will be as well-tested vs top competition by January as anybody in the country.

    ZZ
    For that reason alone it will be the best ever. For maybe the best team ever......

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    For that reason alone it will be the best ever. For maybe the best team ever......
    Not saying you're wrong jazz, just an observation but: how often in the past 10+ or so years have we heard "possibly the best gonzaga team few has ever had" . The upward trajectory - let alone consistency - has been staggering.

    Now, off to prep for padres game 3. Hoping to avoid the sweep at minimum.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,628

    Default

    With college basketball schedules resetting, Gonzaga and Baylor set brutal slates -- and that's a great thing

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...a-great-thing/

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Not saying you're wrong jazz, just an observation but: how often in the past 10+ or so years have we heard "possibly the best gonzaga team few has ever had" . The upward trajectory - let alone consistency - has been staggering.

    Now, off to prep for padres game 3. Hoping to avoid the sweep at minimum.
    Should’ve brought your checkbook with you. D’s just too good. Bottlecaps season a one off, I’m afraid. Back to mediocrity in the country club atmosphere they call Petco.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Wikipedia now has the WCC schedule on its site, but they still have the OOC games listed (including ones from before Nov 27). What can we assume from this? Are the Zags going to redo their entire OOC schedule? Time is running out; travel plans need to be made and TV partners need to be lined up.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Wikipedia now has the WCC schedule on its site, but they still have the OOC games listed (including ones from before Nov 27). What can we assume from this? Are the Zags going to redo their entire OOC schedule? Time is running out; travel plans need to be made and TV partners need to be lined up.
    The entire non-conference portion of that schedule is not valid. This thread has the best information as to what the OOC will look like. As it becomes locked it will be posted on the Gozags.com website. I have been emailing the SID and there is still a lot of details being worked out. I think the schedule and televising plans will continue to be fluid right up until games are played.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,139

    Default

    Here's a couple of predictions:

    1. There will be more pro scouts than students in attendance when the Zags play at Pepperdine on Jan 30, unless there's still a ban on fans in the stands.

    2. The Zags will be 15-0 when they travel to BYU on 2/27.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,628

    Default

    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    6h
    Sources: Gonzaga is expected to play Auburn and Houston is expected to face Texas Tech in the first round of a four-team tournament in Orlando during the first week of the season.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    563

    Default

    So trying to read the tea leaves on this hectic roller coaster of scheduling.

    I think for all intents and purposes the original 'Orlando Classic' is off. Siena & Xavier are both out now and we are now playing Auburn in a different bracketed tournament altogether.

    Rothstein had a post that said Gonzaga was looking to play 4 games in Orlando.

    They've got Tennessee lined up in Orlando on Dec. 2 & play Baylor in Indy on December 5th.

    Now they seem to have a 4 team tourney with GU/Auburn/Houston/Texas Tech. So that's two games presumably in November. (v Auburn, v 1 of Hou/TT)

    So that leaves (potentially) 1 Orlando game left. It'd be nice to slide a Michigan St. matchup in there somewhere (national broadcast season opener?) and call her a day.

    That'd be 6 great noncon games. (Orlando plus Iowa/Baylor)

    I think at most the schedule would allow 3-5 more games.

    It'd be awesome to do with away with most of the cupcakes altogether and finish it off with another bubble based at GU. Bring in Washington, Washington St., Boise St. and some more regional midmajors and wrap up the noncon that way.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    So trying to read the tea leaves on this hectic roller coaster of scheduling.

    I think for all intents and purposes the original 'Orlando Classic' is off. Siena & Xavier are both out now and we are now playing Auburn in a different bracketed tournament altogether.

    Rothstein had a post that said Gonzaga was looking to play 4 games in Orlando.

    They've got Tennessee lined up in Orlando on Dec. 2 & play Baylor in Indy on December 5th.

    Now they seem to have a 4 team tourney with GU/Auburn/Houston/Texas Tech. So that's two games presumably in November. (v Auburn, v 1 of Hou/TT)

    So that leaves (potentially) 1 Orlando game left. It'd be nice to slide a Michigan St. matchup in there somewhere (national broadcast season opener?) and call her a day.

    That'd be 6 great noncon games. (Orlando plus Iowa/Baylor)

    I think at most the schedule would allow 3-5 more games.

    It'd be awesome to do with away with most of the cupcakes altogether and finish it off with another bubble based at GU. Bring in Washington, Washington St., Boise St. and some more regional midmajors and wrap up the noncon that way.
    My minds eye read that as those teams being among the regional mid-majors.
    It's not funny.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    896

    Default

    There's 2 weeks between Baylor and Iowa which would be a good time for a Spokane bubble. Plenty of Big Sky teams within driving, Seattle U also. Any of those would probably love to come get some games in with UW, WSU, or Boise St. Also 2 weeks between Iowa and conference so I see time for a game between Iowa and Christmas, or after Christmas before conference starts since GU has a bye the 1st week of conference. I'm not sure if we'll make our full 11 non con games, but the way we're scheduling it looks like we're trying.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    There's 2 weeks between Baylor and Iowa which would be a good time for a Spokane bubble. Plenty of Big Sky teams within driving, Seattle U also. Any of those would probably love to come get some games in with UW, WSU, or Boise St. Also 2 weeks between Iowa and conference so I see time for a game between Iowa and Christmas, or after Christmas before conference starts since GU has a bye the 1st week of conference. I'm not sure if we'll make our full 11 non con games, but the way we're scheduling it looks like we're trying.
    Absence of trash teams is a breath of fresh air this year. Prefer top 50-100 teams only need apply. No taxpayers this season.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    723

    Default

    From another thread here we got this Twitter info:

    Nov 27 vs Auburn (Orlando)
    Nov 29 vs Texas Tech/Houston (Orlando)
    Dec 2 vs Tennessee (Orlando)
    Dec 5 vs Baylor (Indianapolis)
    Dec 8 vs Tarleton State (Spokane)
    Dec 19 vs Iowa (South Dakota)

    So it looks as if the Zags have 5 more non-con games to schedule; I am guessing 3 cupcakes and 2 heavy-hitters. I don't mind the cupcake games, it gives our bench some valuable playing time.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,753

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    From another thread here we got this Twitter info:

    Nov 27 vs Auburn (Orlando)
    Nov 29 vs Texas Tech/Houston (Orlando)
    Dec 2 vs Tennessee (Orlando)
    Dec 5 vs Baylor (Indianapolis)
    Dec 8 vs Tarleton State (Spokane)
    Dec 19 vs Iowa (South Dakota)

    So it looks as if the Zags have 5 more non-con games to schedule; I am guessing 3 cupcakes and 2 heavy-hitters. I don't mind the cupcake games, it gives our bench some valuable playing time.
    That is "a schedule." Yes, we need to beat on a few cupcakes to gel as a cohesive unit. if we were to stumble early, or fizzle away a winnable game, the loss(es) could shake our confidence for future close games. Strategically placed "easy wins" are important, give the coaches chances to experiment. Plus, starry-eyed Kiddwell's still hoping for a magic "30-win" campaign in this shortened season.




    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    You are looking forward to it, but not as much as me.
    I attended every Battle in Seattle after moving here, and drove over from Spokane for a few before that. Also I almost never get a chance to see zags in person.
    So happy to hear something positive about renewing that tradition, I had feared the 'Battle in Seattle' was going to disappear.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Gonzaga now only plans to play three games during its trip to Orlando in November and early December. Bulldogs were initially targeting four in Florida.
    https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/sta...315062272?s=21
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    I’m guessing they removed the Texas tech/ Houston game winner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •