Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Scheduling

Tech vs Zags will be a CBS, national TV affair. Always good to see. Tech is going to be very good this year. I do hope their grabbing and holding as part of their defense has resolved .....last time we played them, it was a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliZag44 View Post
    With BYU playing ASU there will be a lot of Blue in Phoenix that day. Hoping I can make it to both of the premier games that day, and maybe even all 4.
    BYU - ASU might be a tough ticket. If fans are allowed to attend, a lot of people will be rushing back to catch these games. The arena in Phoenix will be newly renovated and the Colangelo classic will be the first basketball event to host a game in Phoenix since March.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Tech vs Zags will be a CBS, national TV affair. Always good to see. Tech is going to be very good this year. I do hope their grabbing and holding as part of their defense has resolved .....last time we played them, it was a disgrace.
    Doc... Tech plays the way they are taught....the issue is finding 3 officials who know and observe Rule #1 in the book... it's that simple and that hard... Tech plays Rugby on hardwood and if the refs let them get away with it...Shame on them...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Gonzaga needs games like this in the regular season. They prepare teams to play that type of opponent in March. It wouldn’t bother me at all to see the Zags slog through an absolute rock fight against those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Zags to Face Texas Tech in Jerry Colangelo Classic

https://gozags.com/news/2020/6/10/me...o-classic.aspx
    This is great news for Coach Lloyd and family as they can enjoy some quality time off the court, hopefully, w son Liam whose Grand Canyon U team will be competing against USF at same event.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gonzaga’s nonconference schedule will include PK Invitational, home dates with two D-I newcomers

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...include-pk-in/

Gonzaga’s nonconference schedule will include PK Invitational, home dates with two D-I newcomers

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...include-pk-in/
    Vs USC according to Dom a month or two ago.

Finally Official. Zags will play USC in Portland at Phil Knight Invitational

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Sources: Gonzaga is expected to play USC and Oregon is expected to face BYU on November 17th in the 2020 Phil Knight Invitational in Portland.
    2:54 PM · Jun 11, 2020·Twitter for Android

Gonzaga's 20-21 non-conference schedule:

USC (Phil Knight Invitational)
    Texas Tech (Phoenix)
    Tennessee (Jimmy V Classic)
    At Texas
    Arizona
    Washington
    Orlando Invitational (3 games --- field includes Michigan State, Auburn, Saint Louis, Xavier, Belmont, Boise State, Siena)

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...727037952?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Gonzaga's 20-21 non-conference schedule:

USC (Phil Knight Invitational)
    Texas Tech (Phoenix)
    Tennessee (Jimmy V Classic)
    At Texas
    Arizona
    Washington
    Orlando Invitational (3 games --- field includes Michigan State, Auburn, Saint Louis, Xavier, Belmont, Boise State, Siena)

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...727037952?s=20
    We won't go undefeated IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    We won't go undefeated IMO.
    Not only do we play some power hitters, but the travel is BRUTAL. Here is the non-con so far

Nov. 13 at Texas (Austin)
    Nov. 17 vs USC (Portland)
    Nov. 20 vs North Florida (Spokane)
    Nov. 22 vs Cal State Bakersfield (Spokane)
    Nov. 26-29 vs 3 of Boise St/Auburn/Xavier/Michigan State/Siena/Belmont/St. Louis (Orlando Invitational)
    Dec. 5 vs Arizona (Spokane)
    Dec. 8?? vs Tennessee (New York Jimmy V Classic)
    Dec. 12 vs Washington (Spokane)
    Dec. 14 vs Tarleton State (Spokane)
    Dec. 19 vs Texas Tech (Phoenix)
    Dec. 21 vs Bellarmine (Spokane)

Zags will likely schedule ~3 more non-con games (unless I am missing one) in early November or late December. I haven't seen a date for the Jimmy v Classic vs Tennessee yet, but it has historically always been on a Tuesday in early December. So by process of elimination with the Zags schedule, I am assuming December 8.

Part of me wishes we would stay away from these "new to D-1" teams like Tarleton State, but they are so damn cheap to bring into the Kennel. How about Penn? How about Wright State? I'd like to see one mid major added to the sked that is considered a 2020 NCAA tourney threat. After that, bring in High Point....I do not care.

Smile Awesomely scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    Not only do we play some power hitters, but the travel is BRUTAL. Here is the non-con so far

Nov. 13 at Texas (Austin)
    Nov. 17 vs USC (Portland)
    Nov. 20 vs North Florida (Spokane)
    Nov. 22 vs Cal State Bakersfield (Spokane)
    Nov. 26-29 vs 3 of Boise St/Auburn/Xavier/Michigan State/Siena/Belmont/St. Louis (Orlando Invitational)
    Dec. 5 vs Arizona (Spokane)
    Dec. 8?? vs Tennessee (New York Jimmy V Classic)
    Dec. 12 vs Washington (Spokane)
    Dec. 14 vs Tarleton State (Spokane)
    Dec. 19 vs Texas Tech (Phoenix)
    Dec. 21 vs Bellarmine (Spokane)

Zags will likely schedule ~3 more non-con games (unless I am missing one) in early November or late December. I haven't seen a date for the Jimmy v Classic vs Tennessee yet, but it has historically always been on a Tuesday in early December. So by process of elimination with the Zags schedule, I am assuming December 8.
    That is an awesome (and kinda scary) schedule. Hope we win a bunch! (Bunch and a half!)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · Jun 12
    Gonzaga is a borderline blue blood program, but the WCC's decision to go to 16 league games allowed the scheduling flexibility to have this type of slate.

Hope other non power conferences take notice.

More league games is not the way to get more teams into the NCAA Tournament. twitter.com/JonRothstein/s…

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · Jun 12
    Gonzaga is a borderline blue blood program, but the WCC's decision to go to 16 league games allowed the scheduling flexibility to have this type of slate.

Hope other non power conferences take notice.

More league games is not the way to get more teams into the NCAA Tournament. twitter.com/JonRothstein/s…
    If I recall correctly, the league went to 16 games to keep GU from moving to the Mountain West.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Part of me wishes we would stay away from these "new to D-1" teams like Tarleton State, but they are so damn cheap to bring into the Kennel. How about Penn? How about Wright State? I'd like to see one mid major added to the sked that is considered a 2020 NCAA tourney threat. After that, bring in High Point....I do not care.
    First of all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a BB season this fall. The OCC road/neutral schedule is looking very rugged........But, I wish they would stay away from these really low level D-1 teams as well. The home schedule again is shaping up to look like a lot of seasons past. UofA and UofW will be great to see in the Kennel, but it is looking pretty after that. If you're gong to play N FL, Tarleton, Bellarmine, etc. you should just keep playing the 18 game WCC Schedule. I think GU is well beyond needing all the revenue that they can get just to buy uniforms and keep gas in the charter plane.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    If I recall correctly, the league went to 16 games to keep GU from moving to the Mountain West.
    You are correct, it was one of the concessions offered to the Zags to stay in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    First of all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a BB season this fall. The OCC road/neutral schedule is looking very rugged........But, I wish they would stay away from these really low level D-1 teams as well. The home schedule again is shaping up to look like a lot of seasons past. UofA and UofW will be great to see in the Kennel, but it is looking pretty after that. If you're gong to play N FL, Tarleton, Bellarmine, etc. you should just keep playing the 18 game WCC Schedule. I think GU is well beyond needing all the revenue that they can get just to buy uniforms and keep gas in the charter plane.
    I understand the views coming from season ticket holders. IMO, the only way you're going to get more bang for your buck is for conference schools to become much more competitive. Last season, it appeared that several more schools were on the upswing, evidenced by the standings at the end of the season. Pepperdine, SCU, UOP, and USF have made progress, and look to challenge SMC and BYU in the future. At this point, BYU and SMC will continue to duke it out for 2nd and 3rd place...IMO, of course.

Don't laugh at the Tarleton game. They're located about a 90 minute drive from Dallas, DFW has over 6 million people, and we're starting to make a dent in North and South Texas, recruiting wise. It's a below the radar move, as the Cowboys will be in season, and sucking up all of the oxygen in sports talk. There is very little coverage afforded TCU, UNT, TX-Arlington, and SMU at any time during the year. The college beat writers are also tasked with covering UT-Austin, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and OK State.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    GU choosing to play teams like Tarleton and Bellarmine instead of more WCC games is intentional. One of those WCC games that we would play instead would be an away game where GU doesn't get ticket revenue (@LMU). The new WCC format was specifically designed by GU to maximize home games and ticket revenue.

@JonRothstein: Source: Gonzaga will open the 20-21 college basketball season on November 10th in Spokane against North Carolina Central.
    https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/sta...545237504?s=21
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

NCAA Basketball: Analyzing the 4 teams in 2020 Phil Knight Invitational

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06/...-invitational/

I can't wait for the Tarleton State game, of course that might just be because I can't wait for the season to get here.

Old news I know still love the headline from Texas article On SI

Texas Basketball: Longhorns Arrange Home-And-Home Series With National Power Gonzaga

https://www.si.com/college/texas/the...-power-gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Old news I know still love the headline from Texas article On SI

https://www.si.com/college/texas/the...-power-gonzaga

Yes, that is some headline...I would imagine a first from a P5 school.

My concern is with Texas having serious issues with Covid19 cases and that they don't seem to be pushing face coverings or social distancing, Texas might not be a safe place to visit even in November...Let's hope the governor can somehow find away to get his fellow Texans to realize that life is NOT back to normal...

It appears that the southern states might well have relaxed safeguards they had in place too early!!! SC, GA, FL, AL, MA and TX are all experiencing enormously high rates of infections in their populations...maybe these governors should taper back and reinstate more safety controls...

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Source: Gonzaga will host Northern Arizona as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule. Game is set for December 28th.
    2:34 PM · Jun 29, 2020