Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Scheduling

Anyone know the status on Ft. Myers tickets? Will this be a closed (crowdless) event?

Report: Gonzaga, Kansas expected to open season Nov. 25 in Florida
    UPDATED: Wed., Oct. 28, 2020
    By Jim Meehan
    jimm@spokesman.com

The Zags on Monday learned that ESPN had pulled the plug on their season-opening tournament in Orlando, Florida. Gonzaga has bounced back with plans to face Kansas on Nov. 25 in a four-team event in Fort Myers, Florida, according to a tweet from CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander.

GU is expected to face Auburn on Nov. 27 in the second game of the multiteam event (MTE). The fourth team hasn’t been announced.

As nearly every college basketball program has learned in the past month or so, schedules are subject to change during the COVID-19 pandemic. Kansas, for example, would become at least the fourth different season-opening foe for Gonzaga.

The Zags were initially scheduled to entertain North Carolina Central on Nov. 10 before the NCAA pushed the starting date back to Nov. 25. GU was then expected to open at the Orlando Invitational, likely against Belmont or Siena. That tourney was shelved and replaced by a four-team event with GU facing Auburn and then either Texas Tech or Houston. Monday’s announcement erased that from Gonzaga’s schedule.

The addition of Kansas would give GU three matchups against probable preseason top-10 teams. Gonzaga is scheduled to meet Baylor on Dec. 5 in Indianapolis in potentially a No. 1-vs.-2 matchup. The Zags will tangle with Iowa on Dec. 19 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Iowa is No. 6 and Kansas No. 9 in ESPN’s preseason poll. Gonzaga is optimistic its contest with No. 11 Tennessee that was scheduled for Dec. 2 in Orlando will be played in a different location. Indianapolis is reportedly a potential site.

Kansas lost its top two scorers in Devon Dotson, who declared for the NBA draft after his sophomore season, and center Udoka Azubuike, but returns a solid core led by 6-foot-5 senior guard Marcus Garrett, who was named the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year last season.

Kansas and Gonzaga were first and second, respectively, in the final Associated Press poll last season. The order was reversed in the final NET rankings with GU at No. 1. Both were expected to be No. 1 seeds before the NCAA Tournament was canceled due to the pandemic.

The Zags and Jayhawks are expected to begin a two-game series with the first game at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence in December 2022 and the return game at the McCarthey Athletic Center in December 2023.

Gonzaga is also working on scheduling a handful of home games at the McCarthey Athletic Center. Tarleton State is set to visit Dec. 8. Dixie State, a Division I newcomer based in St. George, Utah, will visit GU on Dec. 29, according to a school release.

Dixie State was 23-7 last year in its final year in NCAA Division II. The Thunderbirds have joined the Western Athletic Conference and will be in the first year of a four-year reclassification period to D-I.

Does Garett play the 1 or the 2? How's that for your first college game if you're Suggs and you go against last years Defensive Player of the Year. That would be an interesting matchup. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    Does Garett play the 1 or the 2? How's that for your first college game if you're Suggs and you go against last years Defensive Player of the Year. That would be an interesting matchup. Yikes!
    He'll either grow up fast or wither. My bets on the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    He'll either grow up fast or wither. My bets on the former.
    "Wither" is not in Jalen's vocabulary.

I do not remember such a difficult OOC schedule. Ranked teams and all expected to be on National TV and highly watched. It'/s a prediction but if we get through this unscathed, we're headed for the top spot. I would love a championship. Very doable with this group. I don't see a weak link anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I do not remember such a difficult OOC schedule. Ranked teams and all expected to be on National TV and highly watched. It'/s a prediction but if we get through this unscathed, we're headed for the top spot. I would love a championship. Very doable with this group. I don't see a weak link anywhere.
    Few likes his team that’s for sure.

I thInk Zags must have big contributions from 2 of these 3 sophomores (Timme, Watson, Arlauskas) to play top 5 in country good ball this year. Three key players w 3+ seasons of college ball (Kispert, Ayayi, Cook) every other key contributors for Zags are freshmen and sophomores.

That’s a young team about to play some veteran teams early in Baylor and Iowa for sure. I have not checked Kansa or Auburn rosters.

It’s such a great schedule to watch. Well done Mike Roth, Mark Few and program
    #GoZags
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gonzaga will entertain Northern Arizona on Dec. 12. Zags shooting for six non-conference home games, three already set - Tarleton State (Dec. 8), NAU (Dec. 12) and Dixie State (Dec. 29).
    https://twitter.com/srjimm/status/13...635554816?s=21
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

6 home games with Kansas, Auburn, Tennessee, Baylor, and Iowa neutral would be the full 27 allowed. I hope that's the case.

Gonzaga adds Northern Arizona to home nonconference schedule
    UPDATED: Thu., Oct. 29, 202
    By Jim Meehan
    jimm@spokesman.com

Gonzaga has added Northern Arizona to its nonconference home schedule.

The Lumberjacks will visit the McCarthey Athletic Center on Dec. 12. Gonzaga now has home dates lined up with Tarleton State on Dec. 8, NAU and Dixie State on Dec. 29.

Gonzaga is shooting for six nonconference home contests to go with five marquee neutral-court games: Kansas, Auburn, Tennessee, Baylor and Iowa. That would give GU 11 nonconference games and 16 West Coast Conference matchups for a total of 27, the maximum number as mandated by the NCAA.

Gonzaga has had to revise its original schedule – which included NAU on Dec. 28 and Tarleton State on Dec. 12 – and a few versions since because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The NCAA moved opening day for games from Nov. 10 to Nov. 25 and earlier this week coronavirus protocol concerns prompted the cancellation of numerous ESPN-operated tournaments in Orlando, Florida.

Northern Arizona, Tarleton State and Bellarmine, which was also on Gonzaga’s original 2020-21 schedule, will be on the Zags’ home schedule next season. The contracts for this season were deferred to next season and new ones were drawn up for this year’s contests against NAU and Tarleton State.

NAU (16-14 overall) was 10-10 in the Big Sky Conference last season. The sixth-seeded Lumberjacks lost to No. 11 Idaho State in the opening round of the conference tournament. Interim coach Shane Burcar was elevated to head coach in March after guiding the Lumberjacks to the program’s most conference and overall wins since the 2014-15 season.

The Lumberjacks return 10 players but only three, juniors Cameron Shelton, Luke Avdalovic and Nik Mains, averaged at least 10 minutes per game. Shelton averaged 14.8 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.4 assists to earn All-Big Sky third-team honors. Avdalovic chipped in 8.9 points.

NAU is rebuilding its frontcourt. Post Brooks DeBisschop (12 points, 8.1 rebounds) graduated and forward Bernie Andre (11.2 points, 6.6 boards) moved on to Vermont as a grad transfer. Guard Cam Satterwhite (9.0 points) transferred to Montana.

@sorrentod: The article is 5 days old and I am hearing rumours it is not happening. I guess we will see.

Reading Meehan’s article, it means we get Tarleton state this year AND next. Ugh.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Reading Meehan’s article, it means we get Tarleton state this year AND next. Ugh.

ZZ
    Does it really matter? They need to have some easy games in the preseason to work in things. Now, if they have a half dozen of these, I’d get the consternation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Does it really matter? They need to have some easy games in the preseason to work in things. Now, if they have a half dozen of these, I’d get the consternation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s my recollection that is the number of cuppy cakes they have surpassed most of the last couple years.

Yes but the 5 high end teams we play deserve emphasis. That pathway won’t be forgotten. If we successfully run that game north., we’ll be revered. The softer teams are needed to practice with and. Whole history of other reasons. Maybe1 or 2 tough teams but so far so good in this particular climate.

The fact that Few and company are still scheduling such marquee games despite things changing on a regular basis makes me feel like they are pretty confident in this group, particularly the new guys. Let's hope they perform up to expectations

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    The fact that Few and company are still scheduling such marquee games despite things changing on a regular basis makes me feel like they are pretty confident in this group, particularly the new guys. Let's hope they perform up to expectations
    I recently purchased electronic version of Chris Dortch’s “Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.” Very highly recommend. It includes lengthy quote from Few indicating this season’s schedule is about doing what’s right for college hoops, giving players and fans the marquee games they want and not worring so much about your record and schedule. Being an “ambassador for the game” is how Few put it. Reminds me of Ayayi’s recent quote reminding us Few teaches players to give back more to the program than you take. Nice seeing Coach Few walking that same walk and gifting all college basketball w some great early season matchups.

After reading team reviews for Kansas, Auburn, Baylor, Iowa, Tennessee I am certain this Zags team will be much improved come January but may take some hits early. Not just talented teams they are playing early but experienced, veteran teams too. The experience factor is my biggest concern about these opponents and how do Zags create the energy they will need to compete at very high level inside these mostly empty gyms?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    @sorrentod: The article is 5 days old and I am hearing rumours it is not happening. I guess we will see.
    According to Rothstein, the WCC Presidents are reviewing the Vegas options this week.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Thanks Flex

What’s the Scheduling Plan for College Basketball’s 32 D-1 Conferences?

"WCC | 16 games (starts Dec. 31) – OFFICIAL"

https://watchstadium.com/whats-the-s...es-10-01-2020/

Illinois is moving forward with its plans to play Baylor in the 2020 Jimmy V Classic. Event will also feature Gonzaga versus Tennessee and will be held on December 2nd in Indianapolis
    https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/sta...842932227?s=21

Basketball Hall of Fame’s Third Annual Jerry Colangelo Classic Rescheduled to December 2021

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    1h
    GU-Texas Tech game moved to Dec. 2021, as previously reported

https://www.hoophall.com/news/basket...december-2021/

How come the Kansas game isn’t on the website schedule?

Zags Open Season with Kansas and Auburn in Florida

Broadcast Schedule (All times PT)
    Nov. 26
    Gonzaga vs. Kansas, 10:30 a.m., FOX
    Auburn vs. Saint Joseph's, 1:30 p.m., FS1

Nov. 27
    Auburn vs. Gonzaga, 8 a.m., FOX
    Kansas vs. Saint Joseph's, 11 a.m., FS1

https://gozags.com/news/2020/11/6/me...G8bkBIj_pw2iX4