Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Scheduling

In my option the three games in Orlando are against: Auburn, then Houston/Texas Tech winner than Tennessee game which is part of Jimmy V. The plan was to have a game on the 25th, with another team but now that’s not happening.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Matt Norlander suggests Orlando isn't a done deal: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...64281892843521

Yet another source said, “If Orlando still exists and we can still play in it, we want to play in it, but there might not be anybody left to play and we’ll be forced out.” Teams don't want to be first and they don't want to be last off the merry-go-round. As all of this plays out, teams currently scheduled to play in Orlando are throwing escape-route options against the wall, including some teams having alliances with others so they could play MTEs w/ each other. Heavy rumors on two teams that are 100% out, just haven't told ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Matt Norlander suggests Orlando isn't a done deal: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...64281892843521
    I saw this too, looks like things are on very shaky ground.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Seth Davis via Twitter:

BREAKING: ESPN has officially scuttled its plans to hold a college basketball bubble in Orlando. https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/s...70627419082752
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Seth Davis via Twitter:
    BREAKING: ESPN has officially scuttled its plans to hold a college basketball bubble in Orlando. https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/s...70627419082752
    So what does Gonzaga do now? I would have been perfectly happy with the old OOC schedule; I just want to see my boys play.

Is the UW game back on the table?

This news feels to me like a dark cloud heading towards the college hoops season.
    NCAA should have stepped up and guaranteed they would cover cost of all necessary testing.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Not sure if you guys know who MattSarz is (he has a website with TV times of CFB and CBB). Anyways, he is a regular on my other sports board, and he offered this tidbit about what we may expect for our non-con games.

From Matt:

"Most schools are dropping their guarantee game offers because they likely won't have fans (or enough fans) in the stands, or adding contract provisions based on the ability to have spectators. Have read that those contracts might only offer the visitor somewhere around 25% of what they'd receive in most other seasons. The tickets sold for those games often cover the cost of bringing in an opponent. No fans will likely drop the prices a school like Gonzaga can offer, so you might end up getting a steady diet of, say, Big Sky or Big West schools to Spokane."

SSF: ESPN Bursts the Orlando Bubble

In a report by The Athletic’s Seth Davis, ESPN is abandoning the Orlando Bubble, as it has come to be known, in light of significant issues in reaching a consensus health protocol and aligning the varying interests and requirements of more than 24 schools who were supposed to participate.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...orlando-bubble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    1m
    Sources: Fort Myers has emerged as a location to host an MTE featuring both Gonzaga and Auburn. Other two teams are currently TBD. Games would be on 11/25 and 11/27.

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    · 8m
    HUGE matchup in the works for opening night of CBB, sources tell CBS Sports: Kansas vs Gonzaga on Nov. 25 in Fort Myers. Auburn is also in this MTE. Fourth team is to-be-determined, but plan is then Auburn-Gonzaga would play Nov. 27, with Kansas playing TBD team that date too.

Kansas to open the season! Ooooohhh baby!

Can't wait to see who ends up being the fourth team.

@MattNorlander
    Context that is key: There is jockeying for the fourth team. If these three teams are going to stay in as hoped, KU and Auburn are going to have to agree on that fourth team. Obviously all these big schools have multiple options at the moment, but this is preferred destination.
    7:31 AM · Oct 27, 2020·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...97166946000897

My Gonzaga basketball fan emotions are getting pulled in so many different directions this week
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    · 8m
    HUGE matchup in the works for opening night of CBB, sources tell CBS Sports: Kansas vs Gonzaga on Nov. 25 in Fort Myers. Auburn is also in this MTE. Fourth team is to-be-determined, but plan is then Auburn-Gonzaga would play Nov. 27, with Kansas playing TBD team that date too.
    This news feels to me like a rainbow out in front of a potentially dark, cloudy college hoops season.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

TSN's Mike Decourcy: ESPN's bubble popped, but that doesn't mean college basketball should give up on regular season

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...f13bym8atww5fd

Playing strictly conference games is not inherently safer, unless those games are wrapped inside a bubble similar to those employed by the NBA or NHL. It may be the favored approach of some college basketball leagues, and it may be the only way some can afford to achieve a representative conference schedule. And that’s fine.

But to suggest that the complications that develop when different leagues follow different medical advice make it necessary to abandon the entire enterprise is the same defeatist approach that has been steamrolled by every sports competition that has resumed competition.

Cool Wowzers (and a half)!

Kansas! We've never played them before, right? (At least not in the Few Era?). Kind of a "do over" for last year's missed National Championship. Question: If we win, do we get a belated trophy/banner?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

[QUOTE=Kiddwell;1527260]Kansas! We've never played them before, right? (At least not in the Few Era?). Kind of a "do over" for last year's missed National Championship. Question: If we win, do we get a belated trophy/banner?

We opened the 1998-99 season at Kansas, losing 80-66. Technically a year before Few was Head Coach.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html

Seems like Few wants to wrap up the NC before Christmas

Update:
    Sources: Kansas is now confirmed as a third participant in this MTE. Jayhawks will play Gonzaga on 11/25 and a fourth team that is TBD on 11/27.
    https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/sta...350987266?s=21

So Kansas, auburn, Iowa, Baylor... who else is on the schedule?!

Dixie State and another cupcake new to D1 (sorry, can’t remember the name)

Zag Nation
    @UnitedWeZag
    ·
    1h
    The 4th team, St Joe’s, is now the basketball home of recent GU transfer Greg Foster Jr.

Zag Nation
    @UnitedWeZag
    ·
    1h
    The 4th team, St Joe’s, is now the basketball home of recent GU transfer Greg Foster Jr.
    Yeah, but we won’t be playing them. We play Kansas and Auburn. But at least it is looking like this might happen

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Dixie State and another cupcake new to D1 (sorry, can’t remember the name)
    Wait, what? Werent we playing Arizona and USC?? no more? Tennessee I recall? ANother big tournament?

No More?

Who do we have besides Auburn, Kansas, Iowa and Baylor?? Not that thats not a ton of big names, I just thought we had more. Can anyone in the know clarify?

Tennessee might still happen, but Arizona was postponed for next season. Ucs event as far as I know was cancelled

Zag Nation
    @UnitedWeZag
    ·
    1h
    And it will never die. My proto-Zag team growing up.