View Poll Results: Will a '20-'21 season occur as described?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 80-100% sure

36 41.38%
  • 60-80% sure

14 16.09%
  • 40-60% sure

20 22.99%
  • 20-40% sure

9 10.34%
  • 10-20% sure

8 9.20%
  • More cowbell

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How sure are you we'll have a 2020-2021 season ? (and COVID-19 Topics)

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Sometimes you take an innocuous remark, i.e. Biloxi and analyze it way too much. The reference to Biloxi was there because Cuomo thinks his city and the people in it are more important than anyone else. I appreciate him advocating for his constituents but not at the expense of someone else, i.e. San Francisco.
    How am I to know which are the arguments people make regarding suggested responses to a world-altering global pandemic are the innocuous ones to be overlooked, vs the serious ones to be discussed? This is a serious question. Online forums don't provide us all with social/facial/context clues for this kind of thing that's easier in person. Perhaps a better solution than criticizing me for responding is to not make what you feel to be an innocuous argument, specifically when in a serious public discussion of crisis prescriptions.

Any 2 infected people, any 2 populations groups of 100,000, are not both equally likely to cause harm to others. People getting infected in areas with different (climate? timeline in the infection curve? median age? social customs? population density? importance in government (WA DC), access to medical resources?) will cause different levels of external harms when infected, and should absolutely be given more or less prioritization at the margin. This is a situation involving tradeoffs, not solutions. Acknowledging that such prioritization maximizes total public health and safety is the mature and compassionate response.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Can you give an example of a single current public policy in any USA city, state, or nationally that you feel is currently overly-restrictive or excessively concerned relative to the tradeoffs? A couple weeks ago forum members were claiming that cancelling SXSW festival in Austin was overly restrictive, which I disagreed with, but at least they gave an example. Later we had members suggesting cancelling NCAA tournament games was overly restrictive, or Inslee cancelling Puget Sound area events with over 250people was excessively restrictive. Again, at least specifics were given.
    Yes. We should have focused on the most at risk people at the very start. Shutting down entire states and their economies is a complete disaster. I believe we could have saved many more lives AND kept the economy afloat with more targeted solutions than the devastation that has happened. These draconian measures will put us in a deep depression if it goes much longer. Also to be considered is we will not have herd immunity because of it. What are we going to do next year when this thing flares up again?

Once again, what I'm advocating is not to make light of it but to mitigate it with a targeted approach instead of creating a situation that will be worse than the virus.

I knew this thread would end up this way. Check my first comment. I'm done before anyone erupts.

There are two extremes. It is overblown. And there are some not taking things at all seriously. And there are those that are afraid of their own shadow.

There is a rational middle ground and that's where we should be. This is dangerous, but it can be handled.

I am being quite rational.

Per Abe 70,000 released. Simple math here... 50 states.... that would be a shade under 1500 per state if you did it evenly and not based on need. NYS has the highest infection rate in the country... by far. They got 400 of the 70,000. Ask Italy if it is overblown. Ask ER folks in NY reusing and running out of supplies if it is overblown. Remember... whatever infections happened last week aren't going to start hitting the hospitals until next week... those this week won't start hitting hospitals until the following week. I'll repeat this again... NYS is already running out of equipment... TODAY.... YESTERDAY... LAST WEEKEND. You keep saying... we're America.... don't worry. It is past worry... it is called reality. All these great things to be expected from industry are at least 2-3 weeks out... we'll be completely overloaded next week. Again.. this isn't panic... this is anger. Just like I am angry the Liberty University is opening back up... Just like I am angry a politician said old people may need to die for our economy. I am angry... not panicked.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

These draconian measures will put us in a deep depression if it goes much longer. Also to be considered is we will not have herd immunity because of it. What are we going to do next year when this thing flares up again?
    Mark, I agree with this sentiment, and it is what prompted me to post this poll. It is also want convinced me to not expect a 20-21 season (at least with fans and all the games played as scheduled). I'm curious if it also made you come to that conclusion, or if you reached a different one.

LIZ. Serenity prayer will help. I say it several times daily. It works

https://www.wsj.com/articles/infecti...ak-11585162134

Good sign. Hope it continues.....