• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaliZag44
    Redshirt
    • Feb 2020

Why BYU, not SMC is our biggest Rival

Obviously both of these teams are formidable competition and have reason to consider us rivals. Over the last decade of having BYU in the WCC they haven't had their best seasons ever, but they have effectively done 2 things. The first, they have beaten some of our best teams in school history. The Second, they have gotten under our skin to the point where we loathe them. When you make 3rd party excuses like the refs after losses, its because you are too emotionally agonized by the opponent to see clearly.

Right after BYU was announced to be joining the WCC they had their most talented team in history. They faced us as an 11 seed to their 3 seed. I'm sure we can all remember the spanking Jimmer gave us. It was impressive, and put the conference through a wake up call that BYU was good. Well, once they entered they had struggles. They still however beat us in our first ever conference matchup in 2012 when we were ranked #24th. They didn't beat us again until 2014 when we were ranked 25th. That sparked 3 straight Kennel victories for BYU, and these games are when the rivalry really started.

The first Kennel Victory was when we were #3 in the country. It ended our 41 Game Home winning Streak. In 2016 they beat us again. We didn't have our greatest team, we were #25 when we played, and if you guys remember that game it was when one of their big men blocked Wiltjer in the lane to seal the win. The year after, 2017, I'm sure everyone remembers that game vividly. 29-0, 18-2 lead to start the game. They outscored us 10-0 in the final 2 minutes to kill what would have been a perfect season. This game was the final blow to seal BYU as our rival. 3 straight losses at home, which is one of the greatest basketball atmospheres in the country.

We responded with 6 straight wins, including the win this season in the Kennel, but we were under prepared for the environment and moment of that game in Provo. Their fans were anticipating that game, it was their senior night, and they played out of their minds in a 13 point win. After this win we had all sorts of ref blaming, religion slander, 'dirty playing' excuses. I honestly don't think we would see that if we didn't care as much as we do about the BYU games. Were they physical and aggressive? Yes. Were they more physical and aggressive than any other team would be when playing a top 3 team in the country? No. Go watch Big Ten games if you don't believe me. The Kafusi brothers both weren't natural basketball players, they are both NFL players today, and it showed on the court. They made some overly agressive plays, but BYU doesn't have any like that on their roster at this time.

Obviously SMC has beaten us in some big games too, including the WCC Championship game last year. I still however consider BYU the bigger rival over SMC. They have the bigger fanbase, they have beaten our best teams (They beat us when we were #1, #2, and #3), and they have gotten under our skin. I think the only thing keeping this from being a common thought here is BYU's lack of success in the WCC tournament.
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

I’ve been saying this for years. Well done
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It goes without much discussion that my 3 favorite teams are:

The Zags
      Whoever is playing BYU
      Whoever is playing Duke

I have a lot of respect for SMC, and what they have accomplished.

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Enmity isn't the same thing as rivalry
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

SMC did a bunch of that stuff well before BYU... not to mention SMC did it multiple times in the WCC tourney. BYU, for the most part has choked badly in the WCC tourney. Nothing BYU has done has matched up to Patty Mills, nor Delladova. Even their answer to Samhan was nothing more than a football player re-purposed for hoops but somehow thought he was still on the gridiron. As much as I hated Omar... the dude could ball.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Gonzagit
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            SMC did a bunch of that stuff well before BYU... not to mention SMC did it multiple times in the WCC tourney. BYU, for the most part has choked badly in the WCC tourney. Nothing BYU has done has matched up to Patty Mills, nor Delladova. Even their answer to Samhan was nothing more than a football player re-purposed for hoops but somehow thought he was still on the gridiron. As much as I hated Omar... the dude could ball.
            If you take out last year's WCC championship, which has to be one of the biggest fluke's in GU history, SMC is 1-10 in the last 11 games against the Zags. We've completely passed them by as far as talent and recruiting go. This may HAVE BEEN a rivalry, but on the court, it's basically gone. I would have to agree that BYU has taken that place, as they are far more talented and a bigger threat on the court.

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Gonzagit View Post
              If you take out last year's WCC championship, which has to be one of the biggest fluke's in GU history, SMC is 1-10 in the last 11 games against the Zags. We've completely passed them by as far as talent and recruiting go. This may HAVE BEEN a rivalry, but on the court, it's basically gone. I would have to agree that BYU has taken that place, as they are far more talented and a bigger threat on the court.
              BYU had their best overall talent in a long time this past season. It remains to be seen if they can sustain that. All of their middle age players will be gone. Haws, Childs, Toolson and Zeljas will be looking for mid management jobs next year and I don’t see comparable replacements on their roster or in their recruiting class. Next year they could fall back in the WCC pack.

One solid year is not a trend.

By the way, referring to the OP, I don’t remember anyone here disparaging religion. And the references that were made to dirty play were justified no matter what.

Comment

• CaliZag44
                Redshirt
                • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                BYU had their best overall talent in a long time this past season. It remains to be seen if they can sustain that. All of their middle age players will be gone. Haws, Childs, Toolson and Zeljas will be looking for mid management jobs next year and I don’t see comparable replacements on their roster or in their recruiting class. Next year they could fall back in the WCC pack.

One solid year is not a trend.

By the way, referring to the OP, I don’t remember anyone here disparaging religion. And the references that were made to dirty play were justified no matter what.
                You're right with the disparaging religion, now that I think of it that was actually in the Reddit game thread against BYU that a lot of Gonzaga fans made crude comments. That wasn't however here in this forum, so that can be forgotten.

Comment

• jbslicer
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

BYU thought they were gonna open a big can of Woop Ass on the WCC. Hasn’t happened.

Comment

• GUZag08
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Jan 2008

Na

Comment

• zagbeliever
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                      It goes without much discussion that my 3 favorite teams are:

The Zags
                      Whoever is playing BYU
                      Whoever is playing Duke

I have a lot of respect for SMC, and what they have accomplished.
                      Well said. I totally agree.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2016

Sorry but a rivalry isn't just loathing a team. The two teams have to have some semblance of consistent competition. We are overwhelmingly leading the head-to-head record since joining the conference, and we outright own the WCC title race over BYU. At least SMC can claim some conference titles.

You have to earn "rivalry," and BYU hasn't. After all the grandstanding and lightshows in their 20,000-seat stadium, they still have a lone sweet 16 banner from 2011, and you have to go back before the shot clock era to find their next S16. Since then it's all excuses and woulda-could-shouldas for why they either 1) didn't make the tournament, or 2) didn't perform when they did. We're in a difference class. If they earned any status, it's being really annoying.
                        Originally posted by Reborn
                        Go Zags!!!
                        Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                          Sorry but a rivalry isn't just loathing a team. The two teams have to have some semblance of consistent competition. We are overwhelmingly leading the head-to-head record since joining the conference, and we outright own the WCC title race over BYU. At least SMC can claim some conference titles.

You have to earn "rivalry," and BYU hasn't. After all the grandstanding and lightshows in their 20,000-seat stadium, they still have a lone sweet 16 banner from 2011, and you have to go back before the shot clock era to find their next S16. Since then it's all excuses and woulda-could-shouldas for why they either 1) didn't make the tournament, or 2) didn't perform when they did. We're in a difference class. If they earned any status, it's being really annoying.
                          So who then is our rival
                          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                            So who then is our rival
                            bigger picture, probably arizona or oregon in terms of recruiting and west coast supremacy...if zags keep playing uw every year, maybe that evolves.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                              bigger picture, probably arizona or oregon in terms of recruiting and west coast supremacy...if zags keep playing uw every year, maybe that evolves.
                              Can you have a rivalry when you only play them once every couple years?
                              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

Working...
                              X