Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shameless Self

Default Shameless Self

Shameless Self.....ESPN/Medcalf

IF THE NCAA decides to use the final polls to identify a national champion after canceling the NCAA tournament amid coronavirus concerns, Bill Self will gladly accept the trophy.

The head coach at Kansas, the projected No. 1 overall seed had the 68-team field been announced, said he understands that using the polls -- Kansas is No. 1 in the final USA Today Coaches' Poll -- to decide a champion wouldn't be the typical way to do it but also said he'd be "in favor" of an alternate process in a unique season.

"I would think, from our standpoint, that would be great," Self said on a Monday teleconference. "But even if that occurred, and I don't think it would, there'd be a huge asterisk on our side and I'd be the first one to admit it. This would be the year I'd be all in favor because there's a great chance we'd be No. 1 in the country in most everything when all the rankings are turned in."

Polls were used to select college football champions before the implementation of the BCS system in the late 1990s.

Kansas ended this season as the No. 1 team in the country in both the polls and the reputable analytics sites such as KenPom.com. The Big 12 champions were 28-3.

Entering the season, the program and Self were hit with an NCAA notice of allegations stemming from the FBI's investigation of college basketball that could result in a show-cause penalty for the longtime Kansas coach and penalties for the team. Self praised his team for succeeding through the drama.

He said he has met with school officials about finding a way to "memorialize" the 2019-20 Jayhawks.
    "Nobody had a better season than we did," Self said.

I beg to differ with Mr. Self, and we didn't have to cheat to get to where we got this year. Enjoy your letter from the ncaa about your cheating ways, we don't have one of those. Lets just use the net to select the champion.

Hey Self, you win your conference tournament? Half champions at best in your own conference and you want to declare the national title? Maybe try again next year, and do it with players that weren’t payed to play.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Conduct tests on the top 16 teams and personnel. Exclude coaches, players and staff who test positive from participating. Fly those without the virus on a charter flight to a high school gym Alaska. Play a 16 team tournament with no fans in April. Declare a champion.

Gonzaga was the best team
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

The Net is the NCAA’s main “objective” tool.The polls are inherently subjective with built-in personal bias of voters. IMO, there is no national champion, obviously because the tourney did not play out. But GU can certainly hang a banner with objectively true facts:
    1. No. 1 in final NCAA Net rankings.
    2. No. 2 in final AP and Coaches Polls
    3. WCC Regular Season Champs
    4. WCC Tournament Champs
    5. 31-2 Record
    [And no NCAA problems like some other certain team]
    This is all real, folks, and it should be honored

Just a teaser I bet. Intended to get under the skin of Jazz. They know he's here and they always like to fool with him. lololol

NCAA making a decision...hmmm, not likely

I like the NCAA NET RANKINGS - but...

Give the title(s) with different formats - i.e - Caches Poll Champions, AP Poll Champions, NET Ranking Champions, or just take all the projected number 1 seeds, share all as co-champions.
    It will have an asterisk regardless, but share some joy in today's world. Or at least give us more fodder to chew on for a few months.

Another thought -- have a student/representative of each team that was to be in the tournament battle it out on NCAA 2020 video game -another asterisk, but would be entertaining.

Can't wait until November.

Go Zags!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Gonzaga is certainly deserving of recognition, but I think it would be odd for any team to hang a banner in the absence of a tournament.
    Agent provocateur

The NCAA doesn't recognize the polls for anything. Not seeding, .. nada.. nothing.

But they DO recognize NET. And GU finished @ #1 in NET ranking

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    The NCAA doesn't recognize the polls for anything. Not seeding, .. nada.. nothing.

But they DO recognize NET. And GU finished @ #1 in NET ranking
    +1
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

I wonder how Coach Few and Self get along? Are they friends or just D1 coaches? What prevents a regular season KU vs GU home and home? I think Self won't play us...IMO Anyone have information on this topic?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I wonder how Coach Few and Self get along? Are they friends or just D1 coaches? What prevents a regular season KU vs GU home and home? I think Self won't play us...IMO Anyone have information on this topic?

Thanks...
    Probably more than one reason.

Here's one.

Kennel...6000

Phog Allen...16,300

On the women's side, South Carolina coach Dawn Staley was blatantly lobbying, begging you might even say, to be declared National Champs.

Seems really simple to me. There was no Touney, therefore there is no Champ. To declare someone such without the Tourney to "earn it" seems ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Probably more than one reason.

Here's one.

Kennel...6000

Phog Allen...16,300
    A little quick research.

Kansas has played one true OOC road game per season over the last five years. Twice with Stanford although one was at the new Chase Center in San Francisco. One at Nebraska. One at UNLV. One at Arizona State. All seat 15,000 and above with the one exception of Maples Center on Stanford's campus.

With the ongoing pay-to-play investigations, Kansas could end up with two different asterisks next to their theoretical title. That might be some kind of record...

Thanks...
    They should play on December 27, 2022. Few and Self's 60th birthdays.

Thanks...
    Probably more to do with Addidas vs Nike

I think getting back to the OP’s original point, Self is shameless. Why would we want to play them?!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    I think getting back to the OP’s original point, Self is shameless. Why would we want to play them?!
    To kick their asses?

I guess there’s always that

Kansas Basketball Devastated They Won’t Get Opportunity To Vacate National Championship

https://sports.theonion.com/kansas-b...ity-1842384226

Self REFUSES to play us (seriously). Besides, KU has the history, the tradition, "Beware the Phog," and the waving of the paper bags. They are the greatest BB program to ever exist and any coach there is the greatest coach of all time.

Bill Self is just looking for another excuse to get his rented Harley, put on his rented leathers, and ride/walk the Harley across the red carpet in the "Phog."

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Kansas Basketball Devastated They Won’t Get Opportunity To Vacate National Championship

https://sports.theonion.com/kansas-b...ity-1842384226
    This is a spectacular find, S.

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    Self REFUSES to play us (seriously). Besides, KU has the history, the tradition, "Beware the Phog," and the waving of the paper bags. They are the greatest BB program to ever exist and any coach there is the greatest coach of all time.

Bill Self is just looking for another excuse to get his rented Harley, put on his rented leathers, and ride/walk the Harley across the red carpet in the "Phog."
    Embodiment of the midwest flim-flam/con man.