Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What?! St Mary’s steals one?

Default What?! St Mary’s steals one?

How the heck did St Mary’s end up getting Washington State’s high school POY?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...off-the-court/

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post

Would much rather see Jabe as a Gael than as a Koog or Beav. Sounds like a good fit.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Turned down Stanford? Duh. How’d he even get in?

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post

Zags got Suggs, Harris a Strawther. No room on the bench for this one.
    It's not funny.

Because Gonzaga didn’t recruit him.

Great get for the Gaels, though.

Nice get, it seems. I hope he doesn’t turn into a thorn in GU’s side. 6’6” is great size for a guard, and he was a stat sheet stuffer. Some guys like him play with a chip on their shoulder and play very well when they play teams like Gonzaga— assuming for the sake of discussion that he wanted to go to GU and they didn’t recruit him.

yes according to the article his GPA was 3.95, he probably got a B in one class somewhere along the line.
    yes the article names schools recruiting him and GU was not on that list
    even IF St. Mary's had a better team than us one year (and I'm saying that isn't going to happen by God) it would be good for the league. If they beat us twice in conference and in WCC tournament, the story would have legs all over the college basketball world, and would barely tarnish us, but make our conference continue to creep up in the Ken Pom ratings of conferences. Especially if the rest of the league raised its game like it has the last two years.
    I think WCC was rated as low as 13th at one time, but this year I think 8th?
    If we got to 7th or 6th in college basketball league ratings it would be fantastic for us, St. Mary's and the WCC recruiting
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 03-16-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    yes according to the article his GPA was 3.95, he probably got a B in one class somewhere along the line.
    yes the article names schools recruiting him and GU was on that list
    even IF St. Mary's had a better team than us one year (and I'm saying that isn't going to happen by God) it would be good for the league. If they beat us twice in conference and in WCC tournament, the story would have legs all over the college basketball world, and would barely tarnish us, but make our conference continue to creep up in the Ken Pom ratings of conferences. Especially if the rest of the league raised its game like it has the last two years.
    I think WCC was rated as low as 13th at one time, but this year I think 8th?
    If we got to 7th or 6th in college basketball league ratings it would be fantastic for us, St. Mary's and the WCC recruiting
    You must not be familiar with grade inflation. Haha

Most of the top students are 4.3Gpa or thereabouts based on pumped up grades in AP classes. An "A" in one of those classes is worth 5 which bumps up the overall GPA. A "B" will net you a 4 in an AP class.

GU didn’t actively recruit him, at least as far as I’m aware. Maybe Caldwell can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You must not be familiar with grade inflation. Haha

Most of the top students are 4.3Gpa or thereabouts based on pumped up grades in AP classes. An "A" in one of those classes is worth 5 which bumps up the overall GPA. A "B" will net you a 4 in an AP class.
    Thanks, Mark. When I raised grade inflation a while back the board exploded and called me everything from disloyal to GU athletes to a traitor to worst of all, a non alumnus interloper who doesn’t deserve to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    yes according to the article his GPA was 3.95, he probably got a B in one class somewhere along the line......
    My Gonzaga roommate (and best friend to this day) had a rare "double/double" .... he had one B in four years of college and graduated with a 3.98 GPA. He could also throw a 98 mile per hour fastball (and ended up playing baseball for 9 years after graduating).

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

WA State does not allow weighting in GPA's. ie: a 5 in an AP class for an A versus a 4 in a regular class. WA state only allows grading on a 4.0 scale. Grade inflation usually relates to the trend of more and more students earning A's and B's in classes compared historically. 3.95 would probably be more than one non-A grade for him. Great job nonetheless for him! Wish him the best....except against us.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    My Gonzaga roommate (and best friend to this day) had a rare "double/double" .... he had one B in four years of college and graduated with a 3.98 GPA. He could also throw a 98 mile per hour fastball (and ended up playing baseball for 9 years after graduating).
    I had a B in art class. Screwed up my perfect GPA in high school. Boy, was I ticked.

Is your friend a lefty?

If he was a lefty he’d have played a lot longer.

And congrats on your “almost” perfect GPA.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I had a B in art class. Screwed up my perfect GPA in high school. Boy, was I ticked.

Is your friend a lefty?
    No politics, Marky

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    If he was a lefty he’d have played a lot longer.

And congrats on your “almost” perfect GPA.
    I still can't even draw a stick man.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No politics, Marky
    Haha. Portsider???

Haha. Portsider???
    Southpaw. Like Koo Foo, best ever.

Southpaw. Like Koo Foo, best ever.
    Career way too short. Imagine him in this era with medical technology.

Nice get for them. Would love to see WCC recruiting take another step forward.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    GU didn’t actively recruit him, at least as far as I’m aware. Maybe Caldwell can confirm.
    sorry i should have proof read before sending, the typo was GU did not recruit him

I wonder if this isn't a reflection of a descending PAC, and possibly ascending WCC.

Don't want to make toooo much of any one signing but it could factor into it.

Happy for SMC - they finally play the type of season needed to get a 5-7 seed or so and it's the one when the tournament is canceled.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I wonder if this isn't a reflection of a descending PAC, and possibly ascending WCC.

Don't want to make toooo much of any one signing but it could factor into it.

Happy for SMC - they finally play the type of season needed to get a 5-7 seed or so and it's the one when the tournament is canceled.
    Maybe. But put into context, 247 has him as a 4-star and ranked 132. Verbal commits has him pegged as a 2-star. The other services don’t rank him. It might be a matter of talent.

Thanks, Mark. When I raised grade inflation a while back the board exploded and called me everything from disloyal to GU athletes to a traitor to worst of all, a non alumnus interloper who doesn’t deserve to be here.
    So just another Tuesday?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Maybe. But put into context, 247 has him as a 4-star and ranked 132. Verbal commits has him pegged as a 2-star. The other services don’t rank him. It might be a matter of talent.
    Gonna weigh in here, as I saw him twice this season and once last yr. He's improved a lot just through maturity and being a gym rat. Either that or I underestimated him a bit last year.

IMO he's a fantastic playmaker w/ great awareness (was at the game he had 14 assists at state), pretty good handle, and a pretty good, not great shooter. Third best player I saw at state, after Banchero and Eason (Garfield HS, Cincinatti commit) imo. Looks like a fantastic terammate and clearly a leader. Totally unselfish and clutch.

My comparison would be a little better version of Dranginis, who was similarly rated in his class. But I think he'll have a much bigger impact than Dranginis at GU because he'll get a bigger role at SMC. I think he's a perfect fit for the way they played prior to Ford, and will probably go back to, and made a great choice. But POY doesn't mean he's the top recruit in the state. Top 4-5, sure.