Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG NEWS: NCAA Grants Extra Yr to Spring Sport Athletes-- Winter being Discussed

Default BIG NEWS: NCAA Grants Extra Yr to Spring Sport Athletes-- Winter being Discussed

Wow...

There is a chance that winter sport athletes would be granted an extra year of eligibility, meaning Woolridge, Gilder and Tillie could come back if they so choose.

Do you think any would take advantage of this? If so, what would depth chart look like?

Seems like they'd need to grant extra scholarships too, to make room for 20% more players per team (on average).

Wait to see the terms.

I'm rooting against this. It's bad enough we lost our chance to win it all in 2020. To mess with the balance of talent in 2021 as well can only hurt our current standing as favorites to win it all next year.

Ho.Lee.Crap.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

How can it bad? Totally optional.

Spring sports make sense, their season had just begun, but for most winter sports their seasons were over except for the championships. Look at basketball, how many of the 353 teams were still playing. The seniors lost a few games at best. I feel bad for them, but it's a unique situation that is going to effect everyone before long.

So, I haven't seen the last of TJ Haws?

Haws back for another! Might be completely bald next time we see him

Haws will likely make some good coin in Europe next year. Doubt he comes back if given the option.

I would be very surprised if this applied to Grad Transfers
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Seems like they'd need to grant extra scholarships too, to make room for 20% more players per team (on average).
    This reason of dominished team capacity would be enough to cause extreme chaos. While we feel bad for the Seniors, how bad would we feel for the freshmen coming in who enter a completely different scenario than expected. How would it change commitments? Or for the Juniors expecting to be the Senior starter but now doesn't get the chance?

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Wooly would be one I would count on to come back which would be awesome ... how bout wooly and suggs? Good lord, good night to CBB. Hahahahaha
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Just seems too complicated for basketball. I doubt it comes to be.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Haws back for another! Might be completely bald next time we see him
    I think anyone over 30 should be exempt from this and be forced to retire from college basketball ....
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

I totally support this. It’s only fair to those seniors who didn’t get the opportunity to play in the tournament. I don’t care if this inconveniences the next recruiting class. However, as I say this, Woolridge may be the only player who most likely might decide to come back.

I am against this also. Accept what is (reality) and just move on. It's part of life. Sometimes things happen that we can't control. In fact a lot of things happen in life like that. Right now the thing to do is focus on dealing with this and getting through it together. It would not be fair to the incoming freshmen and any transfers if players were allowed to come back for another year. I'm looking forward to seeing Suggs play, and Harris and Swather. I want to see Timme next year become a real force and a star. Same for Ayayi. I think one thing we're missing is that this is NOT a season lost. It's been one of the best ever. I love this team for who they are and what they have done. To say it's a season lost doesn't account for what they've accomplished. I think Gilder and Woolridge have had a great year at Gonzaga, REGARDLESS. They've built a strong reputation for them being some of the best Zags ever. I won't take that away from them. Let's appreciate what they've done. #1 in the polls for 5 or 6 weeks. #1 seed in the West most of the year. 31-2 season. The best ever. THE BEST EVER.

Go Zags!!!~
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

This seems over the top to me. Its true they lost out on the NCAA tournament but they still played the whole year. This is going to make it really wonky next year. I wonder how many scholarships it costs other players?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    I totally support this. Itís only fair to those seniors who didnít get the opportunity to play in the tournament. I donít care if this inconveniences the next recruiting class. However, as I say this, Woolridge may be the only player who most likely might decide to come back.
    I donít they had a full year participation and nothing guarantees any student athlete post season play
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I don’t they had a full year participation and nothing guarantees any student athlete post season play
    Thats what gets me too. Most of the seniors were not playing in the tournament to begin with. I wonder if there are mass transfers next year because of this. This is going to be a mess I bet.

Some of the responses seem to be thinking this is for sure happening. Basketball has not been approved for this yet.

Like has been said this is NOT a done deal. But if it did I think Additional scholarships to cover them plus not take away from the freshmen.

I again wish all of our seniors the best in any decision that the NCAA makes or they make for themselves.

I do think that:

1) Tillie is gone
    2) Admon and Ryan will have to evaluate what happens if they leave.
    3) I think Petro needs to evaluate if he thinks he is ready

And Grant Gibbs is back! Season 17 and counting.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

NOT IN FAVOR OF THIS unless there is not an NBA draft AND all current athletes are given an extra year as well as all incoming freshman. It interrupts the natural cycle and only benefits one of the 5 classes affected.

Can't see Admon or Killian coming back. Admon's got a little girl to raise. He'll be playing pro somewhere next year.

Don't know about Ryan.