Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIG NEWS: NCAA Grants Extra Yr to Spring Sport Athletes-- Winter being Discussed

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Wow...

There is a chance that winter sport athletes would be granted an extra year of eligibility, meaning Woolridge, Gilder and Tillie could come back if they so choose.

Do you think any would take advantage of this? If so, what would depth chart look like?
    I think the only winter athletes that should be allowed an extra year is if you’d already won your conference tournament’s automatic bid. No else was guaranteed anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I think the only winter athletes that should be allowed an extra year is if you’d already won your conference tournament’s automatic bid. No else was guaranteed anything yet.
    So the 13 teams that won early conference tourneys get to have their seniors back, but the other 340 teams don't? Pretty sure that won't happen.

What the heck; I would be happy to see Rui & BC & Zach back taking advantage of their extended eligibility.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Then there is the problem if you allow every team to bring back any senior that wants to return? What if their whole starting 5 wants to come back?

Some teams would have none coming back while some 4-5. Where is the fairness in that?

I say a resounding NO for team sports. It craps on the heads of the underclassmen waiting to move into the next role.

Golf or Tennis is OK, Sports that are individuals are OK. Team sports are not.

In my opinion.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

On it's face I would love this for the Seniors that are missing out....but there would have to be many discussions and compromises (rule changes) to consider. It would complicate an already messy situation. We shall see.....

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    So the 13 teams that won early conference tourneys get to have their seniors back, but the other 340 teams don't? Pretty sure that won't happen.
    It absolutely won’t happen.

I was just kidding around. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    It absolutely won’t happen.

I was just kidding around. Sorry.
    Got me.

I really see this applying to late winter, early spring sports. Indoor track and field is a big issue because they were just ramping up for major qualifiers. And indoor is an important component of training conditioning for outdoor.

If you let outdoor track athletes have another year of spring eligibility you need to give them the winter eligibility as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

If you look at COVID-19 case number projection predictions for the USA they show a leveling off anywhere between May (optimistic) and mid July. With a heck of a lot more cases by those dates. I’d guess by September there will easily be more cases than there are now even if case numbers are dropping. This all suggests to me that ‘social distancing’ will be practiced into the Fall. Who knows what the chances are for the cancellation of Fall college sporting events???? Seems to me it’s prudent to NOT be making any decisions about senior college athlete eligibilities at this time.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Is there such a thing as too much talent? All of a sudden we would be guard heavy. Oh wait...heavy everywhere. Tillie for sure is not coming back, but just for fun I added him.

IF ALL CAME BACK:

SG: Ayayi, Suggs, Gilder
    PG: Woolridge, Harris
    C: Petrusev, Ballo
    PF: Tillie, Timme, ZAKHAROV
    SF: Kispert, Watson, Strawther, ARLAUSKAS

Probable seniors if allowed to return: Woolridge only. Tillie and Gilder leave

Probable early departures : Petrusev

Reality Roster for 20-21

Guards : Ayayi , Suggs, Harris,Arlauskas
    Center : Ballo
    PF: Timme, Watson, Zakharov
    SF: Kispert, Strawther

Default Norlander: Behind the Scenes on the Cancellation of the Tournament

ARTICLE LINK: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...aa-tournament/

As we move farther way from the Board of Governors' decision on Thursday to kill off the NCAA Tournament, that determination feels more and more obvious and less and less controversial; frankly, we're already at the point where it's a no-brainer. But in the days and hours leading up to it, the NCAA was trying to remain levelheaded while attempting to salvage its biggest and best event (and it's overwhelming primary producer of revenue).

It also completed this process with more nimbleness than maybe it's been given credit for. With help from those who were in the room, here is an inside view to get a sense of what it was like at the highest levels in the 40-or-so hours that led up to the moment the NCAA Tournament died.
    Norlander organizes the timeline to recap what went down last week. Article's a lengthy read but worthwhile.

Be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Be careful out there.
    Yeppers. The less we can come in contact with one another the sooner we get through the pandemic. Easily said - not so easy to accomplish .....
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png