Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lost Season

Default The Lost Season

Thought this would be a good spot to put down our memories, favorite players/moments/games and what-if’s of the 2019-2020 Lost Season.

I’ll start with the most recent which was Drew Time’s coming out party against SMC in the WCC title game. How fun was that and to watch Vitale go nuts for him?

Side-note, were we in the last title game played in 2019-2020?

I'm really going to miss Tillie
    Bring back the OCC

It wasn't lost. I really enjoyed this season. Lost 5 of top players, actually 6, because Tillie was out at start of season. Placed 3 of those players in NBA and another was the second winningist player in college basketball history. So here we go a rebuilding year right ? Well that rebuilding year ended up 31-2, what a year. What Zag fan would not love this season ? At least now referee john higgins can not take a game away from us like he did last year. I can't wait for next year to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    Thought this would be a good spot to put down our memories, favorite players/moments/games and what-if’s of the 2019-2020 Lost Season.

I’ll start with the most recent which was Drew Time’s coming out party against SMC in the WCC title game. How fun was that and to watch Vitale go nuts for him?

Side-note, were we in the last title game played in 2019-2020?

Next year Timme will be even more confident AND if he can learn to shoot free throws and a 15 foot jumper, he will really make it tough on each defending team to guard all 5 players we put on the court.

It wasn't lost. I really enjoyed this season. Lost 5 of top players, actually 6, because Tillie was out at start of season. Placed 3 of those players in NBA and another was the second winningist player in college basketball history. So here we go a rebuilding year right ? Well that rebuilding year ended up 31-2, what a year. What Zag fan would not love this season ? At least now referee john higgins can not take a game away from us like he did last year. I can't wait for next year to begin.

If Joel comes back next year, that squad could well be the most talented to have ever played at GU and should be as Dickie V stated be ranked #1...I hope the Zags schedule the hardest schedule possible to leave no doubt how good GU has become...btw Orange Koolaid is my favorite...

The biggest surprise to me was Ayayi. And what a surprise he was. He was like the best Christmas present ever. And he finished the season in a spectacular way. He saved the best for the last. I love how he handles the ball. I love how he maneuvers his way down court and finds the right lane to attack the basket a puts in one more runner. He also has a beautiful 3 point shot, and was definitely one of our best Ninja shooters.

I loved how Gilder played. He is so tough and unstoppable. He played awesome defense all year long, often guarding players much bigger than him. He too was a good Ninja shooter. When I think of him I think of a tough Ninja warrior with the headband, with an unstoppable attitude.

Woolridge. If Ayayi and Gilder were pieces of cake, Woolridge was the ice cream. These 3 guards were definitely a treat to enjoy. I enjoyed Woolridge's ball handling in the same way I enjoyed Ayayi's. He just did it differently. He was an aggressive attacker with speed. At times he seemed like a lightning bolt, and would energize the whole team. He has fantastic speed and knew how to control it. Could be a Sharp Shooter at times.

Some analysts questioned our guards and wondered if we had enough guard talent to make the Final Four and win it all. They proved in the Conference Tournament that they were good enough. That's one reason I will miss the NCAA Tournament is because these guards had things to prove and they were ready to it. I would have loved to see them up against the best guard tandems in the country.

The WCC was tough this year, and I liked that a lot. Because it was I really enjoyed the Conference Tournament. It was one of the best ones for me, and I will cherish the memories that I have of it. I think one reason I loved it so much is how well our guards played and Ayayi getting the MVP of the tournament. I will also cherish how well Timme played against St Mary's and Vital going crazy over his play.

The biggest disappointment of the season was how bad North Carolina was this year. I was really excited to see them come to the Kennel. But because they weren't really all that good this year, and they had lost their star player, the game just wasn't what I had hoped it would be.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I used to think of this team as a bunch of overachievers and attributed their success to Mark Few, but that is much too simple.

This is a group with a lot of experience that played together as a team. They really surprised me.

I still have my doubts that they could have made it past the second weekend, but I guess we will never know.
    Last edited by MickMick; 03-13-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

We ended the season with a win, what's the last time Gonzaga could say that?

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I used to think of this team as a bunch of overachievers and attributed there success to Mark Few, but that is much too simple.

This is a group with a lot of experience that played together as a team. They really surprised me.

I still have my doubts that they could have made it past the second weekend, but I guess we will never know.
    The Zags that beat SMC by 17 in the second half of the WCC championship game was the team that could have gone all the way.

The Zags that struggled against USF in all 3 games was the team whose ceiling was the Sweet 16.

Matchups during the tournament would likely have dictated how far the Zags could go.

Tillie telling the other 67 teams "You'll have to guard everybody so good Luck with that!" when answering Andy Katz's question on what opposing teams will be facing in the NCAA tournament.

https://youtu.be/6CYsEhQ7c68

Feeling empty rn.
    Love the zags for life

The season stands for itself - the Zags were tremendous, especially with the expectations after last season and the players that moved on...

That being said, my heart bleeds for Ryan and Admon -- to transfer and play their hearts out and be shorted of the dance is tragic. Tillie is another that causes me grief, he deserved the dance.

Let's keep in mind some teams that really got shorted as well...the Portland Pilot Ladies, BYU, SMC and others ...

Godspeed on this virus - I still think in my heart, it may happen --- MAY MADNESS!!

Go Zags... Forever!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    We ended the season with a win, what's the last time Gonzaga could say that?

Hardly a lost season. No 1 seed and ranked 2 but led the entire nation in offense. We kicked ass . And the Nation knows it. !! And we’ll do it again in 8 months or so! With The new 3 guards, and with the returnees, expect to be No1 Come Sept!
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-13-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    NEWS: NCAA senior VP of basketball Dan Gavitt tells
    @CBSSports
    that despite the fact there will be no March Madness this year, the NCAA has not yet completely killed the idea of building and releasing a 68-team 2020 NCAA Tournament bracket.

Reborn, I am with you. The guard position was the biggest question mark going into this season. We all saw it as our Achilles Heel for this year. Then we got Admon and Ryan, but with their injury history, we all thought they were question marks. Ayayi was hardly even on our radar, based on his pedestrian play from last season.

The Battle for Atlantis, however, was my eye opener. Ayayi played with confidence, control and pace. Gilder and Woolridge were starting move well and showing that they were learning the offense. By the end of the out of conference season, our backcourt went from a weakness to a strength. Great defense, high octane transition offense, patience and discipline in feeding the bigs in the middle. Everything you want from great guard play they gave us. That was awesome.

Teams that thought they could take advantage of our backcourt were left with shredded game plans. Great stuff!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Hardly a lost season. No 1 seed and tanked 2 but led the entire nation in offense. We kicked ass . And the Nation knows it. !! And we’ll do it again in 8 months or so! With The new 3 guards, and with the returnees, expect to be No1 Come Sept!
    Wonderful post! My sentiments too except for a couple of things.

I’ll be recovering from losing Killian Tillie until the exhibition game.

Duke will be #1 in the first poll so we’ll be snarling.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    Tillie telling the other 67 teams "You'll have to guard everybody so good Luck with that!" when answering Andy Katz's question on what opposing teams will be facing in the NCAA tournament.

https://youtu.be/6CYsEhQ7c68
    I just loved that from Tillie! Our last link to our Final Four team. We are going to miss him tremendously. One of the best all around players to sport a Zag uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    NEWS: NCAA senior VP of basketball Dan Gavitt tells
    @CBSSports
    that despite the fact there will be no March Madness this year, the NCAA has not yet completely killed the idea of building and releasing a 68-team 2020 NCAA Tournament bracket.
    I really want this to happen. I want that 1-seed official in the books.

Would be good closure

They need to ensure social distancing occurs while discussing and deciding. (Sarcasm)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

It's still shocking that we'll never get to watch this Zags team play again, like all fan bases feel.

I don't know if they wouldve won the championship, but I really wanted to see them get a chance, I think they couldve done it. They just had so many aspects that a national championship teams needs, and MORE than any other season...the rest of the country was WAY down. Ironically a really good Gonzaga team could've won the Nat'l title instead of the very very best GU teams of all-time. Timing is everything, and it seemed like this team was going to take advantage and be right there towards that result.

2020's team strengths will always be their balance, in scoring, talent spread out among the classes, and different guys stepping up each night and playing for each other, plus the first 2 games in Spokane helping prevent that 8/9 upset, and the regionals in LA wouldve been a good situation too.

Their "weaknesses" were the wear and tear of a 5-6 game NCAA Tournament run with banged up guys, Foul Trouble, and finishing against Power Conference size and athleticism.

Woolridge- unbelievable season, never imagined he would develop to be this good of a player. His solid shooting, explosiveness to get to the rim combination the program hasnt had aside from 1 year of Nigel Williams-Goss, and his defense was outstanding on the whole. One of the most complete guards GU has ever had and he fit in so well from day 1.
    What a rebounding guard!!

Ayayi- a season that had some peaks and valleys, but overall again an unbelievable season. to go from mop-up time in 2019 the entire year, to what he became, at times he was GU's best player (like all 7 rotation guys showed they were). His shooting at times seemed effortless, and HOW GOOD OF A REBOUNDER was this guy! Blocked shots, deflections, OK defense, his takeover during big segments in WCC Tournament. And he's a 19-year old Redshirt Soph. If you asked me Nov. 1st....I wouldve been happy if he had HALF the season he did. Remarkable credit to both him for his work ethic and attitude and again the coaching staff developing another player.

Kispert- What an all-time Zag. Combination of leadership, class, toughness, unselfish, and skilled, and not even a senior. Guy was the leader, I recall all the center court post-game huddles after wins where you can see/hear him say things like It wasnt pretty but we got the win and lot to work on. Especially in early season when the team had so many unknowns he went right into a role of a close-to-go to guy, not in shot volume, but important shot taking, and understanding he would need to look for spots to step up and take them, but play within the flow. Cannot say enough about him

Tillie- I wasnt sure he was worth all the hype preseason. He had the monster 10 3s in the WCC Tournament 2 years ago, was "good" last year but not no-brainer All-American to me, and was hurt or recovering from injury, and freshman year was a nice player on an all-time 2017 team.
    But HOLY COW. Only injuries could stop him. His touch and shooting skill is at an NBA-level, he can compete with any of those guys in those skills. Versatility between post ups, even driving the ball WAY better than I ever thought he could or would. Great teammate. And I'll always remember his PASSING vs the 23 Washington zone, he killed UW (along with the entire offense knowing how to play zone Offense) with his passing ability. Guy never complained and leaves incredible memories for me.

Petrusev- Admittedly, like some fans like Jazzdelmar and others, I'm very hard on him during games in impressions and opinions. Yes, he struggles finishing vs length, could be a better FT shooter, body language was not great and unzaglike. I think if the Zags lost in the 2020 NCAA tournament, the recipe for an opponent would've been a team that had a great post, like Seton Hall's Gill and a handful of others, because they would've blocked his shot often, similar to Teske of Michigan, and the Zags wouldnt be as good offensively because they wouldnt have the post doubled.
    HOWEVER, the guy is a horse. He got fouled more than any other Zag in program history I think, never backed down even if he was struggling, and wanted the ball so much even to a fault. I think we will see in the future that his game is much more than low-box scoring when he plays pro overseas. Remember the top of the key 3 he hit earlier this year? He probably could be the 4 man without a problem on a team that lets say had Karnowski as the 5. And hes a 19yr old Sophomore. The guy is set to make probably in the vicinity of 100k+ annually overseason next year, so I can't blame him for leaving.

Timme- what's left to be said? We get potentially 3 more years out of him? Wow. Most pleasing was that he was in attack mode right away in November, and knew when to step up and especially did so in WCC Final. Another guy that "gets it" playing in a team concept but being able to produce. He wanted to play for the upperclassman, and future GU players will want to play for him. Once he adds a mid-range jumper, better FT shooting, he's a 15 PPG rolling out of bed.

Gilder- another warrior. was probably 80% Nov and December, but kept coming along. totally bought into his role, and not about trying to put up numbers for Pro attention. Guarded other teams best players, and his D on Jordan Ford 2nd half of WCC Final among other non-conference showdowns was significant. We'll always remember him as an outstanding guy off the bench, but if his 2018 Texas A&M version was on the 2020 Zags, he might be the team's best player! But he never sulked, showed that, incredible maturity and he should never be forgotten either.

Watson- I'll remember him being a warrior trying to push his health really far, and still contributing a lot, despite basically being very limited offensively. I think he showed a ton of what kind of character he is, and is a future leader of the team type in terms of continuing the great culture the Zags have, regardless of how good his game ends up being.

Arlauskas and Zakharov- I liked that they both appeared engaged the entire season and were total team guys. Zakharov and Ballo doing their 1hr pregame workouts with coaches, realizing that their gametime came then. In their limited minutes, you can see there is something there, and there are tools there to make a jump for 2021 with no problem.

I wish the entire country got to see these guys play on a big stage, and we are lucky we got to on a daily basis to fully appreciate them. What a special, special group.

I don't know if they wouldve won the title, I think they were very susceptible to losing a Sweet 16 game, but that wouldnt take away from this team's unique greatness.

I'm wondering which game of 2019-20 I want to watch at some point again.

SOMEDAY....the 2020 Zags should be honored. Yes we know many many Zag teams should be honored, but THIS one especially because -"They weren't supposed to, but might've" Just an incredible story that will never be replicated. My thanks to all of them.

I didn’t like Kispert last year. I thought he was cocky, immature, and a whiner. A good ol boy jock. I was wrong. Wrong. It was just youth. He has blossomed into a vocal leader and a helluva a basketball player. Early games without Tillie, Cory served as a oncourt Coach, therapist, and cheerleader. This season I witnessed him develop from a boy to a Bulldog. Thank you Cory. I know your team is hurting, but your words will inspire greatness.

And I loved snapshots of Drew Tillie. His finger-tip high fives, funky celebration dances, infectious (but not in the bad Covid19 way) smile. His tenacious defense became more efficient over the season as foot work improved. Look forward to seeing him be a starter next season.

God, I’m going to miss Tillie. I needed 6 more games to be satisfied.

And I haven’t mentioned everyone, but if they read this, please know I loved your dedication, hard work, and passion. Top to bottom, this was a quirky team that worked. Thank you for a great season. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

One of my favorite memories was watching BYU clutch defeat from the jaws of victory against SMC in their final game. Jordan Ford still seems suspended in mid air as he thrusts the final dagger into the cougars as 3000 zags cheer him on.

These 2019-20 Zags played like one of the fastest fast breaking teams I’ve ever seen. That and Ayayi were biggest surprises for me.

What if NCAA allowed all winter sport athletes to retain another year of eligibility? I’d be thrilled to see either Woolridge or Gilder stick around. Zags could use one more veteran guard. I’d definitely prefer Woolridge or Gilder over any grad transfer.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

This could work...

Default March Madness

March Madness