• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyra
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Questions about next year’s team

(Sorry, this is my therapy.) Assuming Petro goes out but Joel stays . . . Who are the starting five? Will Coach have a deeper rotation than 8 (there is so much talent on the team!)? And who will be the biggest (good) surprise?
  • ZagaZags
    Banned
    • May 2010

Originally posted by tyra View Post
    (Sorry, this is my therapy.) Assuming Petro goes out but Joel stays . . . Who are the starting five? Will Coach have a deeper rotation than 8 (there is so much talent on the team!)? And who will be the biggest (good) surprise?
    Not sure if Ballo is considered a surprise for next season but he will be fun to watch.

Comment

• JAGzag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

I love Petro but I’m pretty sure the NBA does not take players who won’t take a jump shot outside of 5 feet. If he were to develop that in his arsenal he would be unstoppable. Not sure why he would not come back for his junior year.

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tyra View Post
        Good question, tyra. Here's my thinking ....

PG .. Jalen Suggs
        SG .. Joel Ayayi
        Wing .. Corey Kispert
        Big .. Drew Timme
        Big .. Anton Watson

1st off the bench ... Guard ... unknown Grad Transfer (will be the biggest "surprise" ... both talent and much needed experience)
        1st off the bench ... Big ... Oumar Ballo

Seeing minutes ... Dominick Harris/Julian Strawther/Martynas Arlauskas/Pavel Zakharov
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• StatZag19
          Professional Zag Fan
          • May 2019

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          1st off the bench ... Guard ... unknown Grad Transfer (will be the biggest "surprise")

Seeing minutes ... Dominick Harris/Julian Strawther/Martynas Arlauskas/Pavel Zakharov
          Not going to rule out a grad transfer guard, but I really think Harris is good enough to first guard off the bench. Strawther is also much further along than Arlauskas offensively, so he may be Kispert's primary backup.
          I take nothing nor anyone on this forum seriously in any form or way. It is no more or less than a satirical board until legitimacy is restored.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Starters/Reserves:

PG: Suggs/Ayayi or grad transfer
            SG: Ayayi/Harris
            SF: Kispert/Martynas/Strawther
            PF: Watson/Timme
            C: Timme/Ballo/Zakharov

Coach Few could use a nine man rotation and the practices will be crazy competitive.

I wonder if Watson will seek an exemption and regain his freshman eligibility

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
              Starters/Reserves:

PG: Suggs/Ayayi or grad transfer
              SG: Ayayi/Harris
              SF: Kispert/Martynas/Strawther
              PF: Watson/Timme
              C: Timme/Ballo/Zakharov

Coach Few could use a nine man rotation and the practices will be crazy competitive.

I wonder if Watson will seek an exemption and regain his freshman eligibility
              As I recall, the NCAA makes one wait until after the 4th year before deciding about a medical redshirt.
              Watson STILL has 3 years to play even w/o that, and some here believed that he was not going to stay for all 4 anyway.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                As I recall, the NCAA makes one wait until after the 4th year before deciding about a medical redshirt.
                Watson STILL has 3 years to play even w/o that, and some here believed that he was not going to stay for all 4 anyway.
                I was not aware of that rule so it is a mute point...as you say, he will have three years remaining...THANKS!!!

Comment

• scrooner
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

If he stays healthy, no way he'll need more than 3 years.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2019

We have to wait on the NCAA ruling, but Killian may be back.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jun 2007

Rotation:

Suggs/Woolridge/Harris
                      Ayayi//Gilder/Harris
                      Kispert/Watson/Strawther
                      Timme/Watson/Arlauskas
                      Tillie or Ballo/ Zacharov/Timme

If that rule does pass, i would say i expect Tillie to be gone, maybe woolridge back, gilder probably gone.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2012

No one knows. A year ago, this board a lot about the team possibly going 10-11 deep, possibly using platoons. How did that work out?

Comment

• bdmiller7
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                          I'm pretty sure he played way too many games to qualify (15) and I'd be surprised if he even tried for it. Excites to see what he can do healthy though.

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                            No one knows. A year ago, this board a lot about the team possibly going 10-11 deep, possibly using platoons. How did that work out?
                            Wow. “No one knows”. Brilliant.

tyra says talking about next year’s roster is “therapy” ... and I agree.

And as for your point about the speculation on this past season’s roster. “How did that work out”?

Hmmm. I don’t think folks knew that Ballo would be declared ineligible in September, that Tillie would have surgery in October, or Watson would be injured in November and again in December.
                            sigpic
                            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                            ——-
                            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                              Good question, tyra. Here's my thinking ....

PG .. Jalen Suggs
                              SG .. Joel Ayayi
                              Wing .. Corey Kispert
                              Big .. Drew Timme
                              Big .. Anton Watson

1st off the bench ... Guard ... unknown Grad Transfer (will be the biggest "surprise" ... both talent and much needed experience)
                              1st off the bench ... Big ... Oumar Ballo

I have to believe that Harris will be an immediate impact rotation player. It will take a special grad transfer to displace him.
                              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Working...
                              X