Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about next year’s team

Default Questions about next year’s team

(Sorry, this is my therapy.) Assuming Petro goes out but Joel stays . . . Who are the starting five? Will Coach have a deeper rotation than 8 (there is so much talent on the team!)? And who will be the biggest (good) surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    (Sorry, this is my therapy.) Assuming Petro goes out but Joel stays . . . Who are the starting five? Will Coach have a deeper rotation than 8 (there is so much talent on the team!)? And who will be the biggest (good) surprise?
    Not sure if Ballo is considered a surprise for next season but he will be fun to watch.

I love Petro but I’m pretty sure the NBA does not take players who won’t take a jump shot outside of 5 feet. If he were to develop that in his arsenal he would be unstoppable. Not sure why he would not come back for his junior year.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Good question, tyra. Here's my thinking ....

PG .. Jalen Suggs
    SG .. Joel Ayayi
    Wing .. Corey Kispert
    Big .. Drew Timme
    Big .. Anton Watson

1st off the bench ... Guard ... unknown Grad Transfer (will be the biggest "surprise" ... both talent and much needed experience)
    1st off the bench ... Big ... Oumar Ballo

Seeing minutes ... Dominick Harris/Julian Strawther/Martynas Arlauskas/Pavel Zakharov

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    1st off the bench ... Guard ... unknown Grad Transfer (will be the biggest "surprise")

Seeing minutes ... Dominick Harris/Julian Strawther/Martynas Arlauskas/Pavel Zakharov
    Not going to rule out a grad transfer guard, but I really think Harris is good enough to first guard off the bench. Strawther is also much further along than Arlauskas offensively, so he may be Kispert's primary backup.

Starters/Reserves:

PG: Suggs/Ayayi or grad transfer
    SG: Ayayi/Harris
    SF: Kispert/Martynas/Strawther
    PF: Watson/Timme
    C: Timme/Ballo/Zakharov

Coach Few could use a nine man rotation and the practices will be crazy competitive.

I wonder if Watson will seek an exemption and regain his freshman eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Starters/Reserves:

PG: Suggs/Ayayi or grad transfer
    SG: Ayayi/Harris
    SF: Kispert/Martynas/Strawther
    PF: Watson/Timme
    C: Timme/Ballo/Zakharov

Coach Few could use a nine man rotation and the practices will be crazy competitive.

I wonder if Watson will seek an exemption and regain his freshman eligibility
    As I recall, the NCAA makes one wait until after the 4th year before deciding about a medical redshirt.
    Watson STILL has 3 years to play even w/o that, and some here believed that he was not going to stay for all 4 anyway.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    As I recall, the NCAA makes one wait until after the 4th year before deciding about a medical redshirt.
    Watson STILL has 3 years to play even w/o that, and some here believed that he was not going to stay for all 4 anyway.
    I was not aware of that rule so it is a mute point...as you say, he will have three years remaining...THANKS!!!

If he stays healthy, no way he'll need more than 3 years.

We have to wait on the NCAA ruling, but Killian may be back.

Rotation:

Suggs/Woolridge/Harris
    Ayayi//Gilder/Harris
    Kispert/Watson/Strawther
    Timme/Watson/Arlauskas
    Tillie or Ballo/ Zacharov/Timme

If that rule does pass, i would say i expect Tillie to be gone, maybe woolridge back, gilder probably gone.

No one knows. A year ago, this board a lot about the team possibly going 10-11 deep, possibly using platoons. How did that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I'm pretty sure he played way too many games to qualify (15) and I'd be surprised if he even tried for it. Excites to see what he can do healthy though.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    No one knows. A year ago, this board a lot about the team possibly going 10-11 deep, possibly using platoons. How did that work out?
    Wow. “No one knows”. Brilliant.

tyra says talking about next year’s roster is “therapy” ... and I agree.

And as for your point about the speculation on this past season’s roster. “How did that work out”?

Hmmm. I don’t think folks knew that Ballo would be declared ineligible in September, that Tillie would have surgery in October, or Watson would be injured in November and again in December.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good question, tyra. Here's my thinking ....

PG .. Jalen Suggs
    SG .. Joel Ayayi
    Wing .. Corey Kispert
    Big .. Drew Timme
    Big .. Anton Watson

1st off the bench ... Guard ... unknown Grad Transfer (will be the biggest "surprise" ... both talent and much needed experience)
    1st off the bench ... Big ... Oumar Ballo

I have to believe that Harris will be an immediate impact rotation player. It will take a special grad transfer to displace him.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    If that rule does pass, i would say i expect Tillie to be gone, maybe woolridge back, gilder probably gone.
    Since Woolridge and Gilder are grad transfers, I wonder how that factors into it. Like, do they still need credits towards a graduate degree?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    I love Petro but I’m pretty sure the NBA does not take players who won’t take a jump shot outside of 5 feet. If he were to develop that in his arsenal he would be unstoppable. Not sure why he would not come back for his junior year.
    He's gone. He wrote on instagram the other day something like, "So long Kennel. 'til next year. lol." Then edited it to remove the "lol." Add that up with everything else: combine last year, he's been telling people he's leaving (I've only heard it third hand). Seems kinda separate from everyone.

I agree his game might not translate to NBA success: he's a volume scorer who doesn't do the little things, that's the opposite of what you need as a fringe big in the NBA. That said, I'm sure he'll have a very successful professional career. Starting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    He's gone. He wrote on instagram the other day something like, "So long Kennel. 'til next year. lol." Then edited it to remove the "lol." Add that up with everything else: combine last year, he's been telling people he's leaving (I've only heard it third hand). Seems kinda separate from everyone.

I agree his game might not translate to NBA success: he's a volume scorer who doesn't do the little things, that's the opposite of what you need as a fringe big in the NBA. That said, I'm sure he'll have a very successful professional career. Starting now.
    “Seems?”

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post

The so long kennel til next year doesn't support your point that he is gone..

If he is seeing the kennel next year it would imply that he is staying.. would it not?

Next year's team no question looks great & I'm foaming at the mouth just thinking about what could be.
    Weather or not Petro comes back I think most agree that at the moment his game doesn't traslate to the NBA. Regardless of that I think we should be pretty thankful he played at GU. Sure he complains to the refs more than most but he got the job done and then some. WCC player of the year as well as an All American. He did what the offence needed him to do and did it really well. Always ran the floor in transition with speed. A few years ago Petro would have developed into an unbelievable 4 year player at GU and probably would have matured a bit, times are diffrent. He came up huge as a freshman last year when Tillie was out anyone remeber his game aginst Duke? I don't think his SOPHMORE year was bad either! Petro deserves way more credit than he gets.

Re: Petrusev, he may not be the most liked Zag overall, but his resume is certainly worthy of being included with other great bigs that have come through.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Next year's team no question looks great & I'm foaming at the mouth just thinking about what could be.
    Weather or not Petro comes back I think most agree that at the moment his game doesn't traslate to the NBA. Regardless of that I think we should be pretty thankful he played at GU. Sure he complains to the refs more than most but he got the job done and then some. WCC player of the year as well as an All American. He did what the offence needed him to do and did it really well. Always ran the floor in transition with speed. A few years ago Petro would have developed into an unbelievable 4 year player at GU and probably would have matured a bit, times are diffrent. He came up huge as a freshman last year when Tillie was out anyone remeber his game aginst Duke? I don't think his SOPHMORE year was bad either! Petro deserves way more credit than he gets.
    I had lost sight of the fact that he was a sophomore. It was probably declaring for the NBA draft last year that changed my perspective and my expectations of him.

Would take Petrusev back in heart beat if he is committed to lateral quickness improvement, anticipation for blocking shots and post defense. and on offense comitted to an outside jj,p shot. If he is committed is not 100% committed to working on and improving those then I wish him best of luck

sneaky suspicious on some of those issues were tampered down die to lack of depth but he still needs to work on those areas and if he does I do think he has chance be lottery pick
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Would take Petrusev back in heart beat if he is committed to lateral quickness improvement, anticipation for blocking shots and post defense. and on offense comitted to an outside jj,p shot. If he is committed is not 100% committed to working on and improving those then I wish him best of luck

sneaky suspicious on some of those issues were tampered down die to lack of depth but he still needs to work on those areas and if he does I do think he has chance be lottery pick
    I couldn't disagree with you MORE. I believe Petrusev helped this team in so many ways that you don't seem to be able to see. I don't think he will be back, but not for one single reason that you think he needs to change. I think he'll be playing professional ball someplace. Hopefully in the NBA.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I had lost sight of the fact that he was a sophomore. It was probably declaring for the NBA draft last year that changed my perspective and my expectations of him.
    And do not forget he is only 19 years old. Lots of room for improvement but overall athleticism could hold him back. He is still just a teenager.