Thread: March Sadness

Default March Sadness

From a public health standpoint cancelling the tourney seems like the right thing to do. I want to make clear that I understand the distinction between the realities of a pandemic and a sporting event.

That being said I feel overwhelming sadness that the NCAA tourney is cancelled this year. The Zags earned the right to host and would have responded. I think the team would have finished Elite Eight or Sweet Sixteen depending on matchups.

Iíll come back to this later with more articulate thoughts, but I felt the need to be part of our Zag community tonight. Thank you for a memorable year to the team, coaches, staff, and fandom. We love you and have been behind you all year! Go Zags!

I think it is a misguided over reaction. keep fans out fine, test everybody on the team and the staff.....postpone the tourney if you must.....but don't leave all these wonderful college students just hanging out to dry..

what an incredible two yrs of misfortune for CLF and the LadyZags.....in her "spare" time, CLF should write a book....the difficulty taking over a major program, losing STH's first year, building the program, raising 3 kids plus maintain a marriage, let alone produce year after year a great team of fantastic young women.....losing Laura S, losing Jill, losing Katie this year, and having Jill get a broken nose, and with all that losing your young brother at the Las Vegas tournament.......what a story, glory and sadness..

Loved this team this year.....just loved them...feel very very bad for everybody....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I think it is a misguided over reaction. keep fans out fine, test everybody on the team and the staff.....postpone the tourney if you must.....but don't leave all these wonderful college students just hanging out to dry.....
    I entirely disagree. I spent this morning listen to the sports pundits totally trash the NCAA for not immediately suspending or canceling the conference tournaments and the subsequent NCAA tournament. Some of them had perfectly valid arguments as to why the tournaments needed to shut down immediately.

Many large state universities have entirely shutdown entire campuses and have gone to online classes impacting tens of thousands of students. Ohio and Pennsylvania have suspended ALL K-12 classes for the immediate future, all in an effort to prevent the expansion of the pandemic virus.

We all know of the two NBA players (so far) who have tested positive. How about the official, refereeing the CAA tournament who just tested positive. You simply can't guarantee the safety of your own team, staff, coaches, etc. let alone three (3) other teams and their staff from all over the country as well as the officials. Between families, classmates, friends, co-workers, people you come into contact with in the happenstance of your job (think teachers, workers in the food industry, delivery people, etc. there will have been tens of thousands of contacts in the couple of weeks before the tournament with people outside of the four teams, coaches, staff, etc. You simply cannot put they teams and staff in a bubble for a couple of weeks, play the games and then put them back in the bubble for another week.

They interviewed Geno Auriemma and he listed many of the same items that Sylean mentioned, however, he said, all he had to do was think if one of his players or staff caught the virus and unknowingly passed it along to a family member with a compromised immune system that passed away from the virus. The guilt that would be associated with that loss would never go away, for the player, the coaching staff or the team. We lost one of our own for a basketball game.

Yes, the seniors who did not get to play this year (some may never have played and now never will play in the NCAA tournament), teams like Portland who finally after 20+ years finally makes it back into the tournament with their lone senior who now will never get to play in the NCAA tournament. How about people like Sabrina Ionesco and Ruthy Hebard who passed up hundreds of thousands of dollars (in salaries and endorsements) to come back to Oregon for the sole purpose of trying to win Oregon's first Wbb national championship and now that chance is taken away. How many people in the food service and hotel industries are going to lose their jobs because the tens of thousands of visitors that are now not coming to the regionals and final fours. This goes way, way beyond mere basketball games, teams, and coaching staffs. Many, many young ladies and men, teams and coaching staffs are going to pay a price for this decision, but in the perspective of life and death, it really is a small price to pay.

Gonzaga itself is really pretty lucky in that their seniors have gotten to play in one or more WCC tournaments and one or more NCAA tournaments. Yes, they did not get to officially host this year, but at least they "earned" the right to host and the team looks to be even stronger next year. It does not help JL and KC with their disappointment, but they have many glorious achievements that they can look back on this year and be very proud of.

I for one, am extremely proud of this year's Lady Zag team and their accomplishments, and this decision does not define this team, the coaching staff and the rest of the athletic department.

Great Job Lady Zags,

We will see you next year.

Zagdad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I entirely disagree. I spent this morning listen to the sports pundits totally trash the NCAA for not immediately suspending or canceling the conference tournaments and the subsequent NCAA tournament. Some of them had perfectly valid arguments as to why the tournaments needed to shut down immediately.

Many large state universities have entirely shutdown entire campuses and have gone to online classes impacting tens of thousands of students. Ohio and Pennsylvania have suspended ALL K-12 classes for the immediate future, all in an effort to prevent the expansion of the pandemic virus.

We all know of the two NBA players (so far) who have tested positive. How about the official, refereeing the CAA tournament who just tested positive. You simply can't guarantee the safety of your own team, staff, coaches, etc. let alone three (3) other teams and their staff from all over the country as well as the officials. Between families, classmates, friends, co-workers, people you come into contact with in the happenstance of your job (think teachers, workers in the food industry, delivery people, etc. there will have been tens of thousands of contacts in the couple of weeks before the tournament with people outside of the four teams, coaches, staff, etc. You simply cannot put they teams and staff in a bubble for a couple of weeks, play the games and then put them back in the bubble for another week.

They interviewed Geno Auriemma and he listed many of the same items that Sylean mentioned, however, he said, all he had to do was think if one of his players or staff caught the virus and unknowingly passed it along to a family member with a compromised immune system that passed away from the virus. The guilt that would be associated with that loss would never go away, for the player, the coaching staff or the team. We lost one of our own for a basketball game.

Yes, the seniors who did not get to play this year (some may never have played and now never will play in the NCAA tournament), teams like Portland who finally after 20+ years finally makes it back into the tournament with their lone senior who now will never get to play in the NCAA tournament. How about people like Sabrina Ionesco and Ruthy Hebard who passed up hundreds of thousands of dollars (in salaries and endorsements) to come back to Oregon for the sole purpose of trying to win Oregon's first Wbb national championship and now that chance is taken away. How many people in the food service and hotel industries are going to lose their jobs because the tens of thousands of visitors that are now not coming to the regionals and final fours. This goes way, way beyond mere basketball games, teams, and coaching staffs. Many, many young ladies and men, teams and coaching staffs are going to pay a price for this decision, but in the perspective of life and death, it really is a small price to pay.

Gonzaga itself is really pretty lucky in that their seniors have gotten to play in one or more WCC tournaments and one or more NCAA tournaments. Yes, they did not get to officially host this year, but at least they "earned" the right to host and the team looks to be even stronger next year. It does not help JL and KC with their disappointment, but they have many glorious achievements that they can look back on this year and be very proud of.

I for one, am extremely proud of this year's Lady Zag team and their accomplishments, and this decision does not define this team, the coaching staff and the rest of the athletic department.

Great Job Lady Zags,

We will see you next year.

Zagdad
    HEAR, HEAR ... Well said.

While not often a fan of Geno Auriemma, he has an idea of the NCAA giving this year's seniors an extra year of eligibility and another chance at playing in the big dance.

What do you think Lady Zag fans, is it a good idea and do you think either KC or JL would take advantage of another year of college and college basketball?

ZagDad

They might. Katie posted on Twitter: "I'll take my year back now." https://twitter.com/kcampbell_3

According to a post on the Men's Board, NCAA is going to give Spring athletes another year and is considering Winter athletes. It would be complicated to juggle scholarships, but its a very interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    They might. Katie posted on Twitter: "I'll take my year back now." https://twitter.com/kcampbell_3

According to a post on the Men's Board, NCAA is going to give Spring athletes another year and is considering Winter athletes. It would be complicated to juggle scholarships, but its a very interesting idea.
    Will be easier for Wbb then for Mbb.

If my memory is correct D-1 Mbb get 13 scholarships and D-1 Wbb get 15 scholarships as part of an effort to balance the # of overall athletic scholarships between the sexes. Rarely do you see Wbb use all 15 scholarships because the team just gets too big. But for a single year, many D-1 Wbb teams may not even have to exceed the maximum # of current NCAA permitted scholarships, but it certainly would make for very large teams next year.

Look at how it would impact the Lady Zags next year. We would have this year's team back in its entirety (including KC) and then would add current transfers and redshirts Cierra Walker, Kylee Griffen and Eliza Hollingsworth plus our three (3) incoming, new freshman; Lily Scanlon, McKayla Williams and Yvonne Ejim. What would be really bad is the number of Lady Zags we would lose after next year. Next year (2021) the lady zags would lose not just the six (6) seniors they are already currently scheduled to lose (GB, JT, LW JW, LF & CW) but we would lose eight with the addition of JL and KC. Talk about having to turnover the entire team. Better get the recruiting wagons out early and often, the Zags are going to need some replacements.

ZagDad

I would be so happy for Katie if she was able to play again here....

we will have a plethora of good players.....according to some who would know, a healthy Kylee is going to be very good, and we know Cierra is good, and also Eliza....not to even mention the new ones coming in....how CLF is going to split time even without Jess or Katie will be a big undertaking....

A lot of tough decisions to be made...

To comment on ZD’s question on whether to grant another year of eligibility to seniors... for basketball here’s my thoughts.

This Sunday, name the teams that will make the dance... have the teams start preparing the last two weeks of April with the start of the tournament either all or the top 16 starting the first weekend in May with the top seed of each game hosting the game with team and families only.

As for the extra year I say no... most if not all of the teams had a chance to complete their season other than the dance.

As for KC... I’m still POd about her being injured. But she needs to accept and move on... or try for a medical exemption being she didn’t use her fifth year.

One way or another... it was a great year to be a Zag.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post

As for KC... Iím still POd about her being injured. But she needs to accept and move on... or try for a medical exemption being she didnít use her fifth year.
    She played 1 year in JC and 3 years at Gonzaga. There is no remaining eligibility for her to appeal for. She appeared in 23 games this season, well beyond the threshold for gaining an extra season of eligibility. Injuries suck, almost every program has to deal with them, many, many players are affected by them.

Lets not forget the main goal is academics, not basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    Lets not forget the main goal is academics, not basketball.
    Not Necessarily, depends on the sport, the available spots to play professionally and the quality of the student athlete.

For example, there are many Mbb athletes that would never set foot on campus if they did not have to wait to get into the NBA. High 6 and 7 figure salaries and being set for life (if managed correctly) make a college education secondary to these players. John Calipari (Kentucky) even states that it is his job to prepare his athletes (not student athletes) for the NBA. Nothing about making them a better person an educated person, etc. In the 30 in 30 on Coach Calipari he even total a kid he was ready for the NBA and if he did not declare for the NBA he would pull his scholarship. Whether that was said in jest or not, the "student" in student athlete is not in his vocabulary.

However, for the vast, and I mean vast, majority of student athletes, you are entirely correct, the education is paramount an playing college athletics may lead to a profession (coaching, physical therapy, nutrition, etc.).

ZagDad

Over the years, I found the athlete as someone who new how to work with others... understood teamwork. They also were not afraid to take on a challlenge. Also found most new how to organize their time and weren’t looking for someone to tell them what to do... These are just a few skills taught in team sports that carry into life.
    Always guided my kids and grandkids towards sports...

Go Zags!!