Thread: Effect on WCC

Default Effect on WCC

Interesting Article on ESPN - part of which discusses the ramifications of the cancellations on the different conferences. Link here

With this being a year with 3 WCC teams in the Big Dance, would like to hear from someone out there who may have some insight on what the potential losses of income would be for the conference...

It's brutal for the WCC IMO. GU was a National Championship contender and both BYU and SMC had enough juice to advance a game, maybe two.

Tough to lose all that income.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    It's brutal for the WCC IMO. GU was a National Championship contender and both BYU and SMC had enough juice to advance a game, maybe two.

Tough to lose all that income.
    I am of the opinion that the NCAA should still do a "selection show" and still fill out a bracket. We need to know who got in and who didn't. We deserve to have that level of closure to the season.

The schools who have earned a bid deserve to have their hard work and season recognized.

An example is that this year's Zags team earned a 1 seed and should get that one seed officially. Even if they don't ever play the games.

It's the least the NCAA can do to make the best of a horrible situation.

Its definitely brutal for the WCC. However now that it's been done and 3 teams were in, hopefully other teams took notice, St Mary's keeps scheduling good non conference and maybe 4 teams getting in isn't that far away! The WCC a power basketball confrence? Now that would be an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I am of the opinion that the NCAA should still do a "selection show" and still fill out a bracket. We need to know who got in and who didn't. We deserve to have that level of closure to the season.

The schools who have earned a bid deserve to have their hard work and season recognized.

An example is that this year's Zags team earned a 1 seed and should get that one seed officially. Even if they don't ever play the games.

It's the least the NCAA can do to make the best of a horrible situation.
    Wouldn't work Sinto for all the Conferences that didn't finish their Tournies. WSU won their 1st Tourney game in 11 years (IIRC) last night. Whose to say they wouldn't have run thru the Tournament & stole a bid?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Wouldn't work Sinto for all the Conferences that didn't finish their Tournies. WSU won their 1st Tourney game in 11 years (IIRC) last night. Whose to say they wouldn't have run thru the Tournament & stole a bid?
    Whole true this misses the point. There's no way to know who might catch lightning in a bottle in conference tournaments.

I'm not saying that the committee should try to guess on that.

But we do have plenty of data to pick a field today. And we should know for posterity's sake who made the tournament and who didn't. Even with an incomplete record. The Ivy League canceled their tournament and sent the regular season champ. Do that for the conferences whose tournaments didn't finish.

But we should have a record of who made the Dance this year. And who didn't. For example--is Carolina going to claim it's current tournament appearance steak was NOT broken this year? I mean after all--they didn't miss the tournament, right?

I remember reading a few years ago, that each game a team played, that team would earn approximately $1.6M.

So using that figure:
    GU - Plays three games that would be $4.8M / reaches the FF $8M
    BYU - Plays two games that would be 3.2M / reaches SS $4.8M
    SMC - Plays one game that would be 1.6M / reaches round of 32 $3.2M

So the total estimated dollars the conference lost is $9.6M / $16M. If memory serves, distribution of these monies by the NCAA to the WCC would begin in six years.

This year, the WCC would of had a bonanza...but nothing compared to the B10 with their estimated 10 teams that would have been selected to play in the Dance. They could of earned $24 to $38M and this doesn't include all the football TV/Bowl monies each team earned. I heard that University of South Carolina garnered over $40M from the SEC for 2019.

So the NCAA lost millions when they cancelled the tournament...not including CBS/Turner Broadcasting advertising income...so I'm guessing that the total losses would be over $500M because the tournament was cancelled.