Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

Devastating to all. Thank you seniors. My heart breaks for it to finish this way. Hasn't really sunk in yet for me. I will get my money back for the Spokane games I paid for but you can't get back what our Seniors are losing. Terrible situation that has no silver lining. Once a Zag Always a Zag. Your in our thoughts and prayers.

Zagnut 2012

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut2012 View Post
    Devastating to all. Thank you seniors. My heart breaks for it to finish this way. Hasn't really sunk in yet for me. I will get my money back for the Spokane games I paid for but you can't get back what our Seniors are losing. Terrible situation that has no silver lining. Once a Zag Always a Zag. Your in our thoughts and prayers.

Zagnut 2012
    Disappointed for Woolridge. Took a chance and transfered for his senior year to have the opportunity to play in the tourney. At least Gilder and Tillie have had that experience. Best of luck to all. Earliest us GU fans have had to start dreaming about next season in a long time.

I can't really say anything right now accept that like so many I am really hurting for the team. These guys deserve more. They have been soooo good. They have won our hearts and minds like no other Zag team has. AND now the Dream HAS BEEN broken and shattered. Unexpected....I just want the team to know that I love you guys from Mark Few down through ever coach, player and manager, statatician ect....and Zag Nation loves you. You will all be remembered for ever because this just really isn't fair. I want to cuss really really bad with a very bad word, but I won't because I know it won't help. I just want to say a really big THANKS to you all for giving me so many great memories this year. AND i'm really sorry it's ended this way. God bless you all and your families.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-12-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

- gotta say, i'm quite surprised at how mature by and large we are handling this terrible news.
    - gosh we go total melt down after a game in which we go 8 of 18 from the foul line.
    - i get it though, our angst is tempered by the hurt and disappointment of the players...........all the same good to see our better angels on display today.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Extremely disappointing. Once again NCAA makes the wrong decision. Fear is rolling through the nation. I blame the media for this. Cancelling means the tournament is permanently not happening. There is no turning back after this decision. Feel real bad for Woolridge, Gilder, and Tillie.
    Agreed. People are gonna look back in 10 years and just laugh at the absurd overreaction everyone had to people catching a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    Agreed. People are gonna look back in 10 years and just laugh at the absurd overreaction everyone had to people catching a cold.
    The absurd thing is suggesting that the recommendations of top scientists, physicians, and epidemiologists are based on fear. Calling this a cold is patently false, but the bigger question I have is what evidence the people bashing this decision are basing their claims on.

I don’t know. You don’t know. Let’s trust the experts, no?

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Any new anti-depressants currently the rage? Where's my Doctor? I want my Doctor!
    For the way this day is going, your doctor probably just tested positive...and your anti-depressants are made in Wuhan China.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    The absurd thing is suggesting that the recommendations of top scientists, physicians, and epidemiologists are based on fear. Calling this a cold is patently false, but the bigger question I have is what evidence the people bashing this decision are basing their claims on.

I don’t know. You don’t know. Let’s trust the experts, no?
    Experts are not always right. And there have been soooo many "pandemics" over the last 20 years that are out of the news in a couple months. Anyone remember H1N1? SARS? Swine Flu? Bird Flu? Zika? West Nile? I could go on and on and on.

You see I have evidence. I don't need to be an expert on Covid-19. People get sick, that's life. But the fear mongering is way over the top and completely absurd. Coronavirus will be forgotten about by the end of summer.

The NIT should swoop in and become the national championship tournament this season. If i was the NIT chairman i'd totally do it.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Perhaps there is a silver lining. Stripped of its dominant income, maybe the hapless NCAA folds. Next year, a national tournament without an “ncaa”.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    The NIT should swoop in and become the national championship tournament this season. If i was the NIT chairman i'd totally do it.
    Who do you think owns and controls the NIT? The ncaa.

Experts are not always right. And there have been soooo many "pandemics" over the last 20 years that are out of the news in a couple months. Anyone remember H1N1? SARS? Swine Flu? Bird Flu? Zika? West Nile? I could go on and on and on.

You see I have evidence. I don't need to be an expert on Covid-19. People get sick, that's life. But the fear mongering is way over the top and completely absurd. Coronavirus will be forgotten about by the end of summer.
    Experts are not always right. But they are far more right, far more often, than non-experts. Read the book "The Death of Expertise" by Tom Nichols. It will change your perspective, I promise.

Also, you don't really have "evidence." You have anecdotes. And like most of us, just enough knowledge to think you know best...but few of us really do. No one illness or disease is like any other. In all of the examples of other outbreaks or pandemics you mentioned, it was because scientists and doctors addressed the issues that they didn't become more problematic. Like vaccines though, the effectiveness sometimes becomes the enemy as people forget how important intervention can be. The actions taken to avoid or mitigate a disaster are rarely praised.

I'm not talking about fear mongering, I'm talking about enacting common sense social distancing. Fear is an emotion. Distancing is an action. We can do the latter without the former IF we follow the advice of those who truly know this stuff.
    Last edited by zagfan24; 03-13-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Who do you think owns and controls the NIT? The ncaa.
    details !
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I don’t post much, but this is the dumbest thing I have come across in a long time. It’s a cold. Things aren’t shut down over the flu which kills tens of thousands every year, if not more. Or bee stings. Or allergies. Or impaired drivers. You have a better chance of getting killed in a car wreck on your way to stockpile toilet paper than dying from the corona virus. The sensationalism, fueled by 24 hour “news” and social media, is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an expert so I wont pretend to understand to complexity of this virus. With that said, from the moment this came about a couple weeks back you cant turn on the news, social media apps without hearing about it. Fear has been embedded into the communities across the globe and the dominoe effect has echoed into every phase of our lives. Do I think we shouldve shut down the NCAA tournament without going through every potential option, I don't. Call me naive or insensitive but we still have to live our lives with modifications and being smart of course. This virus is going to spread regardless. I get it that we dont want to overwhelm the system and we are trying to soften the curve to minimize exposure. Do I believe this is serious,yes...do I believe this has been blown up bigger than it needs to be, yes I do. Like any virus the elderly population and folks with underlying conditions will always be at risk. I think we will see at the end of this that the average person will experience mild symptoms and recover just fine. I'm just completely heart broken for the men and women who wont experience the absolute best tournament in the world.
    America's Team!

Success will mean you get your laughs in and we (science-based society) look like we cried wolf because a million people didn’t die after all. I’m ok with that, but don’t take my word for it.
    Last edited by FuManShoes; 03-13-2020 at 05:03 AM.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Some will.

Some won’t. Like the ones over here that have already died from it. Or the healthcare workers who are going through the scare of exposing their families (which often includes older relatives) to this. Having worked with and knowing a lot of the people at EvergreenHealth, I can tell you not many of them will be laughing with you regardless of whether we flatten the curve elsewhere.

That would be a great outcome IMO. I think there is something to your opinion, but as my friend told me yesterday he thinks the measures being taken are prudent. He’s a very well respected head of a pediatric ICU unit and this is what he told me -

If an arena of 15,000 people has 50 people with COVID there, it is likely that in a week, another 500-1000 will have it, based on being close to those who were there and shedding virus....

He went on to tell me that where kids might not even get sick, their grandparents might die!

My friend is a Gonzaga grad and I would trust him with my life(and many many literally do with this guy) and he most assuredly is an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I am not an expert so I wont pretend to understand to complexity of this virus. With that said, from the moment this came about a couple weeks back you cant turn on the news, social media apps without hearing about it. Fear has been embedded into the communities across the globe and the dominoe effect has echoed into every phase of our lives. Do I think we shouldve shut down the NCAA tournament without going through every potential option, I don't. Call me naive or insensitive but we still have to live our lives with modifications and being smart of course. This virus is going to spread regardless. I get it that we dont want to overwhelm the system and we are trying to soften the curve to minimize exposure. Do I believe this is serious,yes...do I believe this has been blown up bigger than it needs to be, yes I do. Like any virus the elderly population and folks with underlying conditions will always be at risk. I think we will see at the end of this that the average person will experience mild symptoms and recover just fine. I'm just completely heart broken for the men and women who wont experience the absolute best tournament in the world.
    This is my view with a firm belief that you make decisions based upon facts over risk. If the true facts are that 90% exposed will have low scale flu like symptoms with the remaining 10% ;running risk of serious or critical medical conditions and those 10% are in a known risk factor group take action directly towards those high risk factor groups...don’t allow them to be out in public, provide services directly to them. But we would never do that as it would be considered “wrong” to isolate elderly or those with underlining health issues
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    This is my view with a firm belief that you make decisions based upon facts over risk. If the true facts are that 90% exposed will have low scale flu like symptoms with the remaining 10% ;running risk of serious or critical medical conditions and those 10% are in a known risk factor group take action directly towards those high risk factor groups...don’t allow them to be out in public, provide services directly to them. But we would never do that as it would be considered “wrong” to isolate elderly or those with underlining health issues
    The idea of just providing direct services doesn't really work from a practical standpoint when thinking about disease spread. I work with children who are severely immune compromised. They are at high risk, obviously. So...should I also be isolated? My wife is a physician who will undoubtedly be working with patients who are either infected or at risk. Should our kids not go to school? Should we not go to the grocery store?

I feel like "fear" is getting used interchangeably with social distancing. They don't need to be synonymous. We can be smart and calm at the same time. I am taking every last precaution I can think of given my patient population, but I wouldn't at all characterize myself as fearful. I actually find it comforting to know that there are people 100x smarter than me on this topic making recommendations and I follow those accordingly.

I also don't think that facts and risk are mutually opposing ideas. The whole concept of risk runs along a continuum. We don't set the speed limit at 20, or 100, because each of those two points doesn't seem to strike the balance between risk and driving efficiency. We use facts, and data, and expertise to come up with a socially acceptable amount of risk.

I don't think it's right that this forum allows the mods to criticize the NCAA for working with the limited facts available to them but does not allow criticism of the organization that is limiting the facts available to them. Feel free to lock this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    The idea of just providing direct services doesn't really work from a practical standpoint when thinking about disease spread. I work with children who are severely immune compromised. They are at high risk, obviously. So...should I also be isolated? My wife is a physician who will undoubtedly be working with patients who are either infected or at risk. Should our kids not go to school? Should we not go to the grocery store?

I feel like "fear" is getting used interchangeably with social distancing. They don't need to be synonymous. We can be smart and calm at the same time. I am taking every last precaution I can think of given my patient population, but I wouldn't at all characterize myself as fearful. I actually find it comforting to know that there are people 100x smarter than me on this topic making recommendations and I follow those accordingly.

I also don't think that facts and risk are mutually opposing ideas. The whole concept of risk runs along a continuum. We don't set the speed limit at 20, or 100, because each of those two points doesn't seem to strike the balance between risk and driving efficiency. We use facts, and data, and expertise to come up with a socially acceptable amount of risk.
    Disagree and to make the position just look at the vast variance of social distance and the consistent inconsistency of the statements of need for precaution

Example: one group says 500 or more no go, others saying 100 no go and NO ONE can exzplain how or why these vast difference to make a risk based decision is being utilized

Example: the inconsistency of the above to be applied in a consistent manner. If the risk is there for groups of X, then apply it consistently. Either it is a risk or it is not a risk...what I mean by that to say no go for movie theatre, but ok for large restaurants....to say no go to church event but ok to have school or large corporate offices to continue to on as normal

That is what I mean by fear taking over and no consistent, rationale risk based decision making is occurring

As to data and facts, currently to date across the world this particular virus does not seem to impact children unlike to the common flu that has a mortality impact to children
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    As to data and facts, currently to date across the world this particular virus does not seem to impact children unlike to the common flu that has a mortality impact to children
    You seem to have missed the part where he emphasized that the children he works with are severely immune compromised. They are not ordinary children.
    Agent provocateur

And, if it is forgotten about by the end of the summer, you won't give any credit to the decisions being made to protect the public now. I can hear it now: "It would have gone away on its own anyway, etc..." Do you really think people are going to shut down a money making machine like the NCAA tourney over nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Success will mean you get your laughs in and we (science-based society) look like we cried wolf because a million people didn’t die after all. I’m ok with that, but don’t take my word for it.
    Facts: South Korea, Iran, Italy and France are now paying the price of early "non-action" ... real facts most of you do not know, this disease started in DECEMBER in China...not when they started "some fake reporting of limited cases in January." Young 'turk' chinese guy was showing you actual 'body bags' and clogged clinics...full; and as he showed stress in his 'home' reporting over internet... He quickly 'disappeared"..... I fear we are nearing the moment the "curve of this disease" starts its diabolic "doubling of current cases"...every so many days, here in the USA..... then we will get a handle on what's "real"........ Stay safe, use discretion!