Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

Default NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships
    March 12, 2020 4:07pm
    Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships.

This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-championships

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

Obviously its disappointing for us fans, but I really feel for the guys on the team, especially Tillie, Gilder, and Woolridge. What a terrible way for their collegiate careers to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

WHY CAN'T WE JUST POSTPONE AND REASSESS LATER?

Default NCAA Canceled

----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Life is beginning to feel as if it’s being written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    Parlez-vous français?

I feel for the guys who won't be back next season. Congrats on a great season to all the guys and will watch you as you move on to the next level, whatever that may be. GO ZAGS!

It's the right decision but I need a beer and then will probably cry myself to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Haven't you watched the main stream media, the world will be over before they can reassess!!!
    Hardly.

Please.

This is not about the media. Duke had already said they wouldn't play, Kansas suspended its season.

The fact is that the brunt will not hit for 6-8 weeks, at which point it will be extremely clear why steps were taken early. Look at where Italy, Iran and China are.

This has the potential to kill millions and overwhelm our healthcare system (again, 2 months down the road). It is easy to blame the media bc the media can't talk back.

I am simply heartbroken for Tillie (guy cannot get a break), Woolridge, Gilder, and the rest. The economy is going to get terrible.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

This had to be done. All non-essential events, travel, and gatherings need to be cancelled for the time being. My hope is that in doing so it can be a much shorter time. Half-measures offer none of the benefits with almost all of the costs.

Healthcare systems are frantically preparing for the rising numbers and this has been made extra difficult due to the PPE (personal protective equipment) shortage as much of this was manufactured in China. It's going to hit, and hit hard, and while I am personally shocked and devastated about the NCAA tournament cancellation but I don't see any other way. The liability, risks, and impact were just too much.

So sad.

Zags may never get a better set up for a deep run than this year. Balanced squad capable of winning with a variety of styles. Currently ranked #1 NET, no dominant opponents, surefire 1 seed in the west with the first 2 games in Spokane. That is as good as it gets and now it is gone. Poof!

ZZ

Necessary but still very sad. I also really feel for the seniors, Tillie in particular.

I'm speechless, or close to it. March Madness is my favorite religious tradition. My favorite family tradition. My favorite tradition period. My heart breaks for players and coaches who've spent their lives trying to make that stage. It breaks for little kids and parents who bond through the Dance like my Dad and I did. We've been so spoiled by the Zags' success. We could take the Big Dance for granted. The players couldn't and many will see their careers end without a final shot at glory that they worked so hard to earn. It seems so unfair and yet necessary. Damn.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

I would have suspended it, selected the field, and wait a week. Cancel at that point if conditions are not materially better.

Strong odds it’s canceled, but at least get recognition for being selected.

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Necessary but still very sad. I also really feel for the seniors, Tillie in particular.
    This sums my feelings up.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The NCAA should do the right thing and grant waivers for seniors impacted by the cancellation of all winter and Spring sports championships. Would be a devastating way to end a college career for thousands of student-athletes otherwise.

But when has the NCAA done the right thing for it's employees. . .er, student athletes ?

Tough situation for all, and sadly, the right choice. Glad there's some forward thinking...things are going to get worse before they get better. I'm pretty sure all the professional sports leagues with 30 day postponements will be extending them, possibly repeatedly, unless something changes on the treatment/vaccination front (which is unlikely any time soon).

What a crazy situation. Brackets busted before Selection Sunday.

I just hope there's not a recrudescence come next fall. Spanish flu did that a century ago.

Can't say enough about this year's team. Exceeded expectations by a huge margin. End of season with #2 AP, #2 KenPom, etc.

Stay safe everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I would have suspended it, selected the field, and wait a week. Cancel at that point if conditions are not materially better.

Strong odds it’s canceled, but at least get recognition for being selected.
    Too many moving parts. Venues. Media contracts. Insurance. Accommodations. Individual League and team considerations. Etc.

Had to pull the plug and begin to assess the future should this thing linger. There is too much to consider for the long run and still try to assess short term changes of plans.

Any new anti-depressants currently the rage? Where's my Doctor? I want my Doctor!

Woolridge was bummed.
    Love the zags for life

viruses are with us always.....Mers, Sars, both are corona viruses.....the only way to stop them is to get immunity throughout most of the community or develop a vaccination, which most people must take to protect those who don't....and its not like our flu vaccines are full proof.....they are not....

we did not panic with swine flu.....

How convenient the year North Carolina wont make it and Duke is having a down year...jk. So disappointing but the writing was on the wall.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    viruses are with us always.....Mers, Sars, both are corona viruses.....the only way to stop them is to get immunity throughout most of the community or develop a vaccination, which most people must take to protect those who don't....and its not like our flu vaccines are full proof.....they are not....

we did not panic with swine flu.....
    Swine Flu's death rate was .02%, five times less than the regular flu. We're not sure what COVID-19 is but in South Korea is the current lowest being reported at .7% which is 35 times more deadly than swine flu.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n?srnd=premium
    Agent provocateur

I'm boycotting all Chinese resturaunts until the 2020 season starts over again. Talk about ruining the best part of Spring..

- my thoughts
    1. feel sorry for the players foremost, they are the only real losers
    2. media is just a reflection of us, if it bleeds then it leads. just look at how local and national media salivate over reporting on hurricanes.
    3. i think the straw that broke the back on this is the legal angle. any and every person who contracts the virus will sue any and everyone if given half a chance. (sad but that again is on us, our human nature at work)
    4. feel sorry for the many businesses that will be really hurt (do not care about t.v. networks) and employee who depend upon their jobs to support themselves and families.
    5. seems ncaa could have postponed the tournament. mba, mlb, are all delaying their seasons, not postponing. (today i heard 2 tv doctors say the worst should be over in around 6 weeks)
    6. if not but for 3 above, i think if there was not so much hysteria and hype, practical measures such as empty arena's could well have worked out. (i love you dixie, i really do, but no this virus does not have the potential to kill millions. unless every single human being became infected, this based upon what he know of its effect upon the 200,000 or so, so far infected).
    7. item last, this will not even make dixie's bold prediction list for next year, as it is not that bold.....zags win national championship next year, undefeated!

Extremely disappointing. Once again NCAA makes the wrong decision. Fear is rolling through the nation. I blame the media for this. Cancelling means the tournament is permanently not happening. There is no turning back after this decision. Feel real bad for Woolridge, Gilder, and Tillie.