Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Disagree and to make the position just look at the vast variance of social distance and the consistent inconsistency of the statements of need for precaution

Example: one group says 500 or more no go, others saying 100 no go and NO ONE can exzplain how or why these vast difference to make a risk based decision is being utilized

Example: the inconsistency of the above to be applied in a consistent manner. If the risk is there for groups of X, then apply it consistently. Either it is a risk or it is not a risk...what I mean by that to say no go for movie theatre, but ok for large restaurants....to say no go to church event but ok to have school or large corporate offices to continue to on as normal

That is what I mean by fear taking over and no consistent, rationale risk based decision making is occurring

As to data and facts, currently to date across the world this particular virus does not seem to impact children unlike to the common flu that has a mortality impact to children
    You state that no one can explain the differences. Have you asked experts? Reasonable people can disagree on numbers and specifics, calculation of risk is an inexact science especially in this fluid of a situation. New data is gathered, analyzed, and put into practice every day.

To say "either it is a risk or not a risk" is completely false...risk is about weighing percentages. Risk is not binary, it is by definition a 0% to 100% continuum.

Anyway, agree to disagree. I sure hope the measures in place make us all feel like this was no big deal 3 months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    You state that no one can explain the differences. Have you asked experts? Reasonable people can disagree on numbers and specifics, calculation of risk is an inexact science especially in this fluid of a situation. New data is gathered, analyzed, and put into practice every day.

To say "either it is a risk or not a risk" is completely false...risk is about weighing percentages. Risk is not binary, it is by definition a 0% to 100% continuum.

Anyway, agree to disagree. I sure hope the measures in place make us all feel like this was no big deal 3 months from now.
    Ask every day 3 times a day during our emergency management conference calls and all I can get and all I can find through research is “experts recommend” but not explanation as to why or what the risk matrix is based upon or how there is differing numbers for mandated actions
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Ask every day 3 times a day during our emergency management conference calls and all I can get and all I can find through research is “experts recommend” but not explanation as to why or what the risk matrix is based upon or how there is differing numbers for mandated actions
    What experts recommend might be more precise if we had more testing. As it is, we know that the virus is definitely here and it will spread rapidly if we don't take steps to mitigate.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    What experts recommend might be more precise if we had more testing. As it is, we know that the virus is definitely here and it will spread rapidly if we don't take steps to mitigate.

We don’t have nearly enough information right now, but since the number of cases could be three or four times what is known now, it’s a good idea to follow protocols that reduce risk.
    Parlez-vous français?

Does this mean we may get blessed with a 10th year of Haws?

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    The NCAA’s Council Coordination Committee has agreed to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports.

Committee will also discuss issues for winter sport student-athletes.

Rounding Third Softball
    @Rounding3rdSB
    ·
    4m
    The
    @NCAA
    Council Coordination Committee is moving forward in granting relief to spring sport athletes in regards to the 2020 season. This move would be the first step in the process of allowing current senior athletes to recoup a year of eligibility. #Rounding3rdSB

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    We don’t have nearly enough information right now, but since the number of cases could be three or four times what is known now, it’s a good idea to follow protocols that reduce risk.
    Agreed. I am posting this excerpt from a NY Times article that was already posted earlier in this thread:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/u...-estimate.html

“We’re being very, very careful to make sure we have scientifically valid modeling that’s drawing properly on the epidemic and what’s known about the virus,” he said, warning that simple calculations could be misleading or even dangerous. “You can’t win. If you overdo it, you panic everybody. If you underdo it, they get complacent. You have to be careful.”

But without an understanding of how the nation’s top experts believe the virus could ravage the country, and what measures could slow it, it remains unclear how far Americans will go in adopting — or accepting — socially disruptive steps that could also avert deaths. And how quickly they will act.

Studies of previous epidemics have shown that the longer officials waited to encourage people to distance and protect themselves, the less useful those measures were in saving lives and preventing infections.

“A fire on your stove you could put out with a fire extinguisher, but if your kitchen is ablaze, that fire extinguisher probably won’t work,” said Dr. Carter Mecher, a senior medical adviser for public health at the Department of Veterans Affairs and a former director of medical preparedness policy at the White House during the Obama and Bush administrations. “Communities that pull the fire extinguisher early are much more effective.”
    Agent provocateur

We all can agree to disagree on how we feel about this issue and how we weigh the facts. My main issue is why not postpone instead of cancelling? If you postpone there is at least hope. If the NCAA had any intestinal fortitude they could figure it out. I agree with Few and Roth. If you gave players a choice in the matter they would most likely play even under the current environment or they would be willing to wait a few weeks. This is as much emotional as it is scientific. Maybe in one month this turns out to less serious of an issue. It’s a big grey area right now.